Re: [holistichelping] George and John: Ghetto FM/Ken Chelimo and Eldoret members: Radio Initiative/"peace radio" network

  • chelimo kenneth
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
      Thanks Janet for this vital information.

      I know George Onyango very well as we worked together at SIDAREC in 2006. He is a great guy. Iam glad about is initiative on the peace radio network. We can actually work together on this great initiative. We can also liaise with John and wesley. Iam grateful that the POP programme at SAYARE RTV is doing well and most people are aware about our peace work in Eldoret and the entire country. You can still link us with international organizations for technical and other support in strengthening the Radio Peace network. It will also be good if George can sign up with HH so that we can be exchanging information with other HH members online. Thanks Janet for your good work in linking people and sharing information.

      Ken Chelimo

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
      Dear John, BF George, and All,

      Wonderful to hear from you both (BF George, will write more tomorrow), and I have introduced both of you to the other now in separate mails. So this will serve as a connector, and George has indicated that he will sign up for HH soon, so we can have conversations in that forum too.  And hopefully VUMA Kenya as well (George, this is the Googlegroups of a diverse network of people and orgs working for peace and justice in Kenya)!

      I have heard from George today, and here is an excerpt of his remarks abt Ghetto FM and other stations:

      "We are having peace meetings within the affected slums. We have had three meetings since the violence erupted. I will be sending the photos so that you may circulate them to forum members. These meetings were successful because of Ghetto FM. Through the station, we were able to mobilize assistance to the displaced, coordinated meetings between various communities, and have preached peace and reconciliation. Therefore any support to help improve Ghetto FM will be a boost to the youth working with the station. What excited me most is the fact that we have our own people (from the areas we operate in) as presenters. These are people who never went to college to learn journalism. What we did is just to give them an in-house training for a month, and that was it. Looking at some of the programs that they came up with, one is tempted to think you are dealing with professionals.

      Further support will really be a big boost. I would like to talk to John Barbieri very much. He can help us with ideas on how to go about peace forums, and the healing process. Our people need this so much. There are other community radio stations in Nairobi like Koch, Pamoja, Kenyatta University among others. Pamoja is based in Kibera where Fred has a project. I can connect him with them. Community radio stations are given same frequencies, which means that Ghetto can only broadcast up to a particular area within Nairobi, where it reaches, then Koch and Pamoja takes over. SIDAREC is trying to organize community radio stations in Kenya so that we have a voice. We are in the process of registering the network. We have not moved on a peace network. We are still consulting with others, and I believe it will be a good idea if you start the process of connecting us."

      I hope Ken Chelimo and Wesley Chebii will post with more abt the radio-related initiative in Eldoret, or I can piece some of their previous postings on peace radio together (which are as prolific and passionate as a peck of pickled peppers, haha!!).

      John, George can link you with some other stations too, like Pamoja. And he may be up on what some women's orgs and/or individual women might be doing. I can check into that more as well. Btw, John, the press release information is still current, as far as I know.

      I love the idea, mentioned by George, of a "peace radio network". I wonder if AMARC Africa and/or International should be contacted for support for this, technical at least?  There should be some other sources of support, resources, and encouragement we can find. Registering as a community-radio network first is a great idea, then focusing on peace as one of your major subject areas.

      There will hopefully be others in the POP network who can give you suggestions too, John and all. And I will write more soon in response to your mail to the VUMA forum on peace radio.

      For now, please contact George at geogias@yahoo. com, and John is at kenyanpeace@ gmail.com.

      With greatest thanks and here's to corresponding with "frequency" :)))!  Janet

      Thanks Janet for forwarding this. If you or others can link me to/provide contact information for Ghetto FM and Pamoja FM that would be great!

      Asante,

      __._,_

    • chelimo kenneth

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
          Dear Ken and All,

          Hello and what marvelous news!!  I've asked George to sign up for HH, so hope he will soon. In the meantime, hope you, Wesley, and John will link up on your own peace-radio initiative, and bravo for what you are doing to advance the cause of peace!

          With all best wishes and greatest blessings, Janet