Kenya: "Youth as Peace Ambassadors" (article)/Youth, Peacebuilding, and Arts/2008 Drama Festival: "Drama as a Unifying Force"

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2 10:18 PM
      Youth as peace ambassadors
      http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/Local/Youth-as-peace-ambassadors.html

      BY ANTHONY KAGIRI

      NAIROBI, February 5 - The United Nations (UN) office in Nairobi gave a new
      twist to Kenya's peace agenda this week with the launch of an initiative
      targeting youth as peace ambassadors for the country.

      It began with a two-day seminar on Peace in Kenya dubbed "I Am Kenya, I Am
      Peace, Lets Talk", the aim of which is to sensitise young people on the need
      to preach reconciliation in their neighbourhoods. In the initiative youth
      are encouraged to support unity and peaceful coexistence.

      UN Country Director Dr. Anna Tibaijuka launched the seminar and underscored
      the need to talk truthfully while accommodating each other's views
      unconditionally. "Peace building is about speaking clearly, honestly and
      truth telling," she expressed.

      Tibaijuka called on youth to adopt basic values of engagement including
      love, patience, and justice, as great changes in a country's democracy were
      possible without resorting to violence. She gave the examples of Nelson
      Mandela, Martin Luther King, Mahtma Gadhi and Jomo Kenyatta as people who
      led great revolutions in the world without using violence.

      The seminar also aimed at educating youth on their role in nation building.

      Another event, organised by the UN, was due on February 28th - The National
      Youth Violence Prevention Week - which will run until 1st March under the
      banner "Stand-up for a Safer Neighbourhood: Individual Action Can and Will
      Make a Difference".

      The initiative will carry the message of peacebuilding to the entire
      country, using art as the main medium, encompassing concerts, drama, songs
      and poetry. The initiative mirrors the launch of this year's drama festival,
      which bears a similar message of peace and unity. The theme is "Drama as a
      Unifying Force".

      The festival's executive secretary Patrick Khaemba said he was confident
      that the theme would go a long way to help the country heal from the
      post-election crisis. "Drama is an important tool of communication and with
      it we are sure that our students will reflect what is happening now and
      definitely we should be able to sensitize our society about it," noted an
      enthusiastic Khaemba.

      Various Kenyan artists have also joined in the peacebuilding efforts through
      music. In the aftermath of the violence, artists together composed a song
      called "Pamoja Kenya", which has been receiving airplay in the media. The
      song talks on the beauty of the Kenyan spirit of peace, love, and unity.

      The initiatives come at a time when youth have been widely accused of
      causing mayhem after the disputed presidential elections. But youth have
      also been the major losers due to the loss of jobs, educational
      opportunities, and a disrupted economy.

      Prior to the December general election similar campaigns challenging the
      youth to take on political leadership were rolled out countrywide. The
      campaigns managed to produce a large number of youthful parliamentary
      aspirants.
      Many more youths were convinced to vote.
    • Rachel Kungu
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 8:14 AM
        Dear Janet and Kagiri,

        I am happy to say that i was part of the meeting and follow up to the launch is youth peace builders being trained from Nairobi to be  UNVs  within there locality, Nairobi has been divided into 3 region, East Wet and Central, Beatrice who is the lead trainer could give us more on the same. I have the speeches of the proceedings and i will download them whe time allows to HH

        Peace be with us all

        Rachel
        www.peace-caravan.org