Stewardship Councils

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2008
      In writing my thoughts for Kofi Annan, I want to share some further
      thoughts about the "Diversity Councils". Perhaps a better name, and
      more to the point, would be Stewardship Councils.

      I like the idea that we all have the right to care for a bioregion
      wherever we may be. Certainly, if a person in Nairobi has the right to
      care about Lake Victoria, then why can't I? And if I care about Lake
      Victoria, then why do I matter less than a person who lives there but
      doesn't care?

      My general experience in organizing independent thinkers is that it's
      about encouraging leadership by those who care.

      Which is to say that, in organizing councils for a location or for a
      wider bioregion, our purpose might be to include all those who care.
      Most of those people will be local, but not all. We can include those
      who care about the location, the bioregion. We don't have to include
      those who don't care, and indeed, we shouldn't include them because they
      will keep us from getting things done. Instead, the purpose of the
      council might be to include all of the people who care about a location
      or bioregion and want to help as stewards. These are the people who the
      council can help work together. And these are the people whose variety
      the council should aspire to reflect.

      The council is for those who care about the location or the region, not
      simply care about themselves. We encourage all to care for the location
      or the region. But if they don't want to care, then we don't need to
      include them.

      I think such an outlook would make it easy to organize the councils and
      to yield results. We don't need to frustrate ourselves by organizing
      people who don't care or who only care about themselves. A good
      question to ask participants is "What would you like to achieve?" which
      is how we make our list of endeavors:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Endeavors

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Franz Nahrada
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
        Andrius writes:
        >The council is for those who care about the location or the region, not
        >simply care about themselves. We encourage all to care for the location
        >or the region. But if they don't want to care, then we don't need to
        >include them.

        It is important to say that this is a direct outcome of cultural creative
        economy, the principle was proven in Free Software. It also means: if you
        dont care and are not included, dont be affraid: in most cases you still
        will be able to benefit of the fruits of the work of those who care. This
        is a non-eclusive proposition, it simply recognizes finally that humanity
        has reached a level and a point where voluntary and fullhearted activity
        increasingly is the source of all wealth. It has a lot to do with the
        shift from menial and repetitive labor to creative one. Those who dont
        care simply should not block decision or action of those who do, but they
        can enjoy a higher quality of life for recognizing people with high
        aspirations. This will teach them to care about whatever they wish to
        care, join with others and take stewardship of another part of the common
        good.

        The principle is identical with Frithjof Bergmanns "New Work - New
        Culture", where he asks for the recognition of the "calling" as the prime
        source of social organisation in future. But the principle is equally
        expressed by many others, and there is broad recognition that this new
        role of the individual as the source of shaping the world is the
        "copernican shift" of our epoch. Of course this is a painful transition,
        we do not have the culture to bring this to full life yet, and people tend
        to refuge to proven solutions centered around command and control.
        MinciuSodas is currently at the forefront of developing aspects of this
        new culture, and sometimes we do not even have the words to express the
        differences.

        Global Villages definitely live and thrive because of this connection
        between the locals and people who care about the locality. The same holds
        true for bioregions, the same will hold true for nations of the future. We
        see that "Virtual Kenya" exists in the heart of many people, like "Virtual
        Lithuania" has shaped a person like Andrius.

        At the core of all this is the possibility to choose, the individual as
        the sacred treasure of future world culture. Yet we still have to invent
        the social contract around it, because currently we live in a system of
        abstract freedom and the concrete individual is not recognized, in all
        meanings of the word.

        Franz