Details of Power-Sharing Deal/much work still to do/Pwani for Peace (P4P) Mombasa/"tribes"/radio: examples (John)

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2008
      Dear Friends,

      Fantastic news indeed, and definitely cause for celebration!  Amidst the joy, we do need to acknowledge the challenges and tragedies which have occurred, and say that this is a much-needed "start" to the work yet ahead. And gear up for same ourselves!

      John Barbieri has posted on VUMA Kenya about this news too, and please see the mention of Pwani for Peace (and url) in Mombasa. They have an inspiring "local constitution" we might emulate.

      John is looking for examples of radio for peace-building in Kenya, and I have previously mentioned Eldoret (Ken Chelimo, Wesley) to him and others. Can you write more to him about your endeavors, and anyone else doing this kind of work, please do the same!  John is at kenyanpeace@.... John, I will also link you with Ghetto FM radio in Nairobi (serving slums areas), and am sure they know of others too, like Pamoja FM.

      I mention my own view on using the word "tribe" now because of this power-sharing deal, and the need to ensure that there as few flashpoints for further violence as possible. I agree with others who have expressed the need for caution in terms of using this word, and I believe Andrius has mentioned today that the word "diversity" might be a better one, w/which I agree completely.

      The "tribe" to Native Americans (USA) was the "nation", the nation being based on tribal affiliations. In Kenya, it is extremely important to see oneself as a "Kenyan first, (Kalenjin, Kikuyu, Luo, et al) second", in other words, as envisioning one and all in Kenya as citizens of a larger entity than a tribe. That is why I think the concept and reality of "Kenya" as a nation is very important too, though I like the idea of bioregions for some kind of activities.

      I will post something abt my own ideas as soon as I can (doing grantwriting at the moment), but in the meantime hope others will, and thanks to Andrius and those who have posted to date. Governance, as we can see from this whole experience--including the power-sharing arrangements (from conception to implementation, and all the way through negotiations)--is a crucial subject and important challenge, both related to peace and conflict, and also related to development and the everyday lives of human beings (as well as the planet), whether they know it in a direct way or not.

      Therefore these discussions abt how we structure ourselves and interact, about how we make decisions and who does not, about we call ourselves and others, is of vital concern and meaning.  I look forward to working with one and all to develop healthy processes, programs, and peacefully-peopled pyramids!!

      Blessings and love, Janet

      Kibaki and Raila sign deal to share power
      By LUCAS BARASA and CHURCHILL OTIENO
      Last updated: 1 hour ago

      President Kibaki and Mr Raila Odinga have signed a deal that will see
      them share power through the creation of a Prime Minister position.

       The deal, brokered by Africa Union chairman President Jakaya Kikwete
      of Tanzania and Mr Kofi Annan, will see the creation of a grand
      coalition sharing power according to party strength in Parliament.

       The deal provides that the PM will coordinate and supervise
      Ministers, while Cabinet positions will be shared proportionally
      according to party strength in Parliament.

       The President will have the authority to sack Cabinet members, but
      only with written agreement from leaders of the respective coalition
      party.

       The Cabinet will comprise the President, the Vice-President, the
      Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Ministers and Ministers.

       The coalition will collapse at the end of the current Parliament, or
      if the parties so agree, or if one partner withdraws.

       The signing at Nairobi's Harambee House was witnessed by diplomats
      and broadcast live on national television.

      President Kibaki and Mr Odinga first signed the agreement, then
      President Kikwete and Mr Annan appended their signatures as witnesses.

       The agreement was the result of a five-hour meeting chaired by
      President Kikwete involving Mr Annan, President Kibaki and Raila
      Odinga.

      First signs of a deal emerged when Mr Annan, soon after the meeting
      ended at 3pm, told journalists that they had managed to agree and
      that details would be made public in about an hour.

      The two sides have until today failed to agree on how to structure a
      coalition Government. President Kibaki had maintained that he is
      ready to appoint a Prime Minister and two deputies, but under the
      current Constitution.

      The Orange Democratic Movement (ODM), on the other hand, insisted
      that any power sharing arrangement must be cemented through relevant
      Constitutional amendments. They also want the PM to be named head of
      Government and the President to be head of State, and equal sharing
      of Cabinet positions, among others.

      Also at the meeting was former Tanzanian President Benjamin Mkapa,
      who sits with Mr Annan in the Panel of Eminent African personalities
      who have been driving the mediation since January. The third
      panellist is former South African first lady Graca Machel, however
      she did not attend today's meeting.

      Both President Kibaki and Mr Odinga were at the venue of the talks
      accompanied by some of their negotiators, but it is not yet clear
      whether the negotiators attended the meeting.

      Those at the venue include the Government negotiating team that
      include Cabinet ministers Martha Karua (Justice), Moses Wetangula
      (Foreign Affairs), Prof Sam Ongeri (Education) and Mbooni MP Mutula
      Kilonzo. They were joined by Local Government minister Uhuru Kenyatta
      and Attorney General Amos Wako.

      Mr Odinga arrived with his negotiators Musalia Mudavadi, James
      Orengo, Dr Sally Kosgei and Mvita MP Najib Balala.

      President Kikwete arrived in Nairobi on Tuesday soon after Mr Annan
      suspended the mediation talks that had being going on at Nairobi's
      Serena Hotel. The decision came after the Government and the ODM
      negotiators failed to compromise on how to create a Prime Minister
      position, seen as key in the structure of power sharing arrangement.

      The Tanzanian President initially planned to depart Nairobi
      yesterday, but extended his visit by a day.

      Local and international pressure is on President Mwai Kibaki and Mr
      Odinga to compromise on a power-sharing agreement.

      Kenya was thrown into a political crisis after Kibaki was declared
      the winner of a disputed December 27 presidential election.

      Violence that followed the announcement resulted in the death of more
      than 1,000 people and left over 350,000 others displaced.

      Hi all,

      There is great news this morning that a power-sharing agreement has just been reached. The details of the agreement are still coming out, but reports indicate that it is essentially a 50-50 power-sharing split, with the main sticking point resolved over the creation of an executive Prime Minister (Odinga) who can only be removed by a vote of no confidence in Parliament, not directly by the President (Kibaki), and to be an even split of PNU and ODM ministers. Hopefully this will provide the opportunity to further solidify peace througout Kenya and to further address other needed constitutional and electoral reforms, but there indeed is still much work to be done both at the protracted political negotation table (and now in Parliament) and at ground-level peace efforts.

      Also, for a peace group at the Coast, Ory has highlighted the work of Pwani for Peace (P4P): http://p4peace.org/.

      -john

    • John Barbieri
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2008
        Hi all,

        Thanks Janet for forwarding this. If you or others can link me to/provide contact information for Ghetto FM and Pamoja FM that would be great!

        Asante,
        John

      • cathy stubington
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2008
          Good to hear hopeful news about the two political leaders coming to a point of collaboration. I would like to find a way for those of us who use the English language to describe elected / representative governments find a word to replace the use of the word "Power". For example, instead of talking about "the party in Power", we can say "the party in Service". Instead of "Power Sharing", we can speak of "Responsibility Sharing". Or, whatever can better describe the intention behind Representive government.
          yours Cathy S

          Fantastic news indeed, and definitely cause for celebration!  Amidst the joy, we do need to acknowledge the challenges and tragedies which have occurred, and say that this is a much-needed "start" to the work yet ahead. And gear up for same ourselves!

          John Barbieri has posted on VUMA Kenya about this news too, and please see the mention of Pwani for Peace (and url) in Mombasa. They have an inspiring "local constitution" we might emulate.

          John is looking for examples of radio for peace-building in Kenya, and I have previously mentioned Eldoret (Ken Chelimo, Wesley) to him and others. Can you write more to him about your endeavors, and anyone else doing this kind of work, please do the same!  John is at kenyanpeace@ gmail.com. John, I will also link you with Ghetto FM radio in Nairobi (serving slums areas), and am sure they know of others too, like Pamoja FM.

          ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *****

[...]

          --~--~------ ---~--~-- --~------ ------~-- -----~--~ ----~
          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vuma Kenya Peace and Reconciliation Initiative" group.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 29, 2008
            Dear John, BF George, and All,

            Wonderful to hear from you both (BF George, will write more tomorrow), and I have introduced both of you to the other now in separate mails. So this will serve as a connector, and George has indicated that he will sign up for HH soon, so we can have conversations in that forum too.  And hopefully VUMA Kenya as well (George, this is the Googlegroups of a diverse network of people and orgs working for peace and justice in Kenya)!

            I have heard from George today, and here is an excerpt of his remarks abt Ghetto FM and other stations:

            "We are having peace meetings within the affected slums. We have had three meetings since the violence erupted. I will be sending the photos so that you may circulate them to forum members. These meetings were successful because of Ghetto FM. Through the station, we were able to mobilize assistance to the displaced, coordinated meetings between various communities, and have preached peace and reconciliation. Therefore any support to help improve Ghetto FM will be a boost to the youth working with the station. What excited me most is the fact that we have our own people (from the areas we operate in) as presenters. These are people who never went to college to learn journalism. What we did is just to give them an in-house training for a month, and that was it. Looking at some of the programs that they came up with, one is tempted to think you are dealing with professionals.

            Further support will really be a big boost. I would like to talk to John Barbieri very much. He can help us with ideas on how to go about peace forums, and the healing process. Our people need this so much. There are other community radio stations in Nairobi like Koch, Pamoja, Kenyatta University among others. Pamoja is based in Kibera where Fred has a project. I can connect him with them. Community radio stations are given same frequencies, which means that Ghetto can only broadcast up to a particular area within Nairobi, where it reaches, then Koch and Pamoja takes over. SIDAREC is trying to organize community radio stations in Kenya so that we have a voice. We are in the process of registering the network. We have not moved on a peace network. We are still consulting with others, and I believe it will be a good idea if you start the process of connecting us."

            I hope Ken Chelimo and Wesley Chebii will post with more abt the radio-related initiative in Eldoret, or I can piece some of their previous postings on peace radio together (which are as prolific and passionate as a peck of pickled peppers, haha!!).

            John, George can link you with some other stations too, like Pamoja. And he may be up on what some women's orgs and/or individual women might be doing. I can check into that more as well. Btw, John, the press release information is still current, as far as I know.

            I love the idea, mentioned by George, of a "peace radio network". I wonder if AMARC Africa and/or International should be contacted for support for this, technical at least?  There should be some other sources of support, resources, and encouragement we can find. Registering as a community-radio network first is a great idea, then focusing on peace as one of your major subject areas.

            There will hopefully be others in the POP network who can give you suggestions too, John and all. And I will write more soon in response to your mail to the VUMA forum on peace radio.

            For now, please contact George at geogias@..., and John is at kenyanpeace@....

            With greatest thanks and here's to corresponding with "frequency" :)))!  Janet

            Thanks Janet for forwarding this. If you or others can link me to/provide contact information for Ghetto FM and Pamoja FM that would be great!

            Asante,

            __._,_
          • chelimo kenneth
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
              Thanks Janet for this vital information.

              I know George Onyango very well as we worked together at SIDAREC in 2006. He is a great guy. Iam glad about is initiative on the peace radio network. We can actually work together on this great initiative. We can also liaise with John and wesley. Iam grateful that the POP programme at SAYARE RTV is doing well and most people are aware about our peace work in Eldoret and the entire country. You can still link us with international organizations for technical and other support in strengthening the Radio Peace network. It will also be good if George can sign up with HH so that we can be exchanging information with other HH members online. Thanks Janet for your good work in linking people and sharing information.

              Ken Chelimo

              For now, please contact George at geogias@yahoo. com, and John is at kenyanpeace@ gmail.com.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Dear Ken and All,

                  Hello and what marvelous news!!  I've asked George to sign up for HH, so hope he will soon. In the meantime, hope you, Wesley, and John will link up on your own peace-radio initiative, and bravo for what you are doing to advance the cause of peace!

                  With all best wishes and greatest blessings, Janet