Solar cycles for rural area

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2006
      umesh rohatgi wrote:

      >andirus
      > we have one sample made and using such cycle with
      >spending any money for electricity. though the cost of
      >pannel is little more but saving will offset the cost
      >in two to three years in terms of fuel saving.
      > pl see it and it can be done any where in the world.
      > with regards
      > umesh rashmi rohatgi

      Dear Umesh Rashmi,

      Thank you for your letters! (More than 80 so far!)
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Umesh_Rashmi_Rohatgi

      It's wonderful how you travel to India to help and all that you
      accomplish! You give a beautiful example of how individuals can lead the
      way and inspire other individuals and also work with organizations. We
      have much to learn from you and Maria Agnese Giraudo's recent trip to
      Kenya and Tanzania shows what others can do, too!

      I include your documents about solar cycles for rural areas. They are
      very relevant for our recent discussion at Global Villages. Perhaps we
      know somebody we might work with together on this? And perhaps this
      might be part of a list of global village technologies.

      I have posted the photograph and your proposal at:
      http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?SolarCycles

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Funds appeal - Solar Cycles for rural India

      This is a Project for villages located in 20 states of India. – A new
      approach to harness free power from sun for transportation revolution in
      rural area.

      Start new ventures like solar lantern, solar bulb solar powered
      self-sufficient homes, Solar street lights, solar Chula (cooker) for
      under privileged persons, desalination stilts for water purifications
      and sanitation in rural areas in UP/MP. Our need is for buying solar
      systems from USA, Electric motors, solar power storage Batteries with 10
      years life (maintenance free), and solar Panel made of stainless steel
      base (light weight flexible panel with 20 years life). All these things
      are not available in India at present but in future when people see
      these, will demand and then they will be made in India as well. Each of
      these units will cost per cycle $450 and freight and some import duty to
      be paid in India. Total project cost will come to approximately $50,000.
      These cycles will not be given free to people but they have to pay back
      through bank loan on easy installment sponsored by DRI.

      Regarding DRI: –Deendayal Research Institute is a ISO 9000 recognized
      NGO Non Government Organization doing yeoman job in and around 80 Km
      radius of Chitrakoot in MP /UP states in some 500 villages. Their Social
      Sculpture couples (SSD- samaj shilpi dampaty) are graduates residing in
      the village for five years and help solve day today problems of
      villagers. DRI projects and program are well praised by President of
      India in his recent speech in MP vidhan sabha.

      You will be glad to know that our Mother Smt. Kailash K. Rohatgi stared
      the funding for this project last year and family members had given us
      so far about $8,000, friends and charitable foundations equal amount as
      well. And we expect in this giving season you will donate generously for
      this cause our total need is $50,000. Donors of more than $1000 will
      have a choice of one cycle to be donated to their choice of village in
      India.
      Checks for any amount of money can be written in the name of
      PTSPF and which is tax deductible in USA and can be sent directly
      To:
      Mr. JPSondhi 29325 Kennedy Ct. Farmington Hills MI 48331(246-535-7777)
      or In Indian Rs. to: DRI Chitrakoot Dist. Satna MP India.

      Pl. direct any and all questions to us any time.
      Sincerely Requested By:
      Umesh Rashmi Rohatgi.
      Honorary Project Director of Solar cycle project India
      Novi, Michigan 48375 USA. Phone: 248-471-5786.
      Email: rurohatgi@... : web site:”www.rurohatgi.com”

      One I T E M Free

      * I – Invest
      *T- Time
      *E- Energy
      *M- Management

      Time is money Time = Money

      Money can buy fuel

      Money = Fuel (energy)

      Hence Time = Fuel

      Solar fuel is one item that is free

      Hence we can Invest Time in Energy Management and we get fuel free only
      One time Investment will be in Solar panels.

      Hence solar powered Cycles / Rickshaw will be a good start. Rural
      persons work as rickshaw pullers in urban areas; their life will be
      improved.

      It will be good for far flung villages in Rural India as best means of

      Transportation. No need of Petrol pumps in India and we do not have to

      Depend on fossil fuel from OPEC. Fossil fuel is also made by Sun then
      why not go directly to source-SUN. But every body’s Sun in our own yard.

      By:Umesh Rashmi Rohatgi 24161 Nilan Drive Novi MI USA (248) 471-5786

      Web Site”www.rurohatgi.com” email:rurohatgi@...

      Solar Bicycles Project for Rural India/USA

      A Synopsis

      By Umesh and Rashmi Rohatgi
      July 31, 2006
      Supported by: People To Support People Foundation
      (PTSPF- MI USA)
      our need is $50,000 and checks can be payable to PTSPF an 501-(c )-(3)
      non profitable organization and are tax deductible.

      Author with a solar cycle at University of Michigan At Dearborn MI USA
      during 2003. The cycle discussed in this synopsis is different from that
      in the picture.
      1)Entrepreneurs can establish profitable businesses renting solar cycles
      to villagers.
      2)Villagers will have access to an economical and ecological mode of
      transportation that will improve their productivity and quality of life.
      3)All Indians seeking to purchase an automobile might see that there are
      alternative forms of transportation that can offer uniquely better value
      in the Indian context and help avoid deepening the problems of air
      pollution, traffic congestion, and dependence on foreign oil.
      4)Even in USA people can use this and save dependence on foreign oil and
      save environment.
      Opportunity Scenario:
      Today approximately 750 million people live in what is considered rural
      India. While the quality of life is improving for some, still others are
      fleeing rural India for hopes of a better life in already overcrowded
      cities. With improving economic and educational opportunities in rural
      India, we believe that there is ample opportunity for more people to be
      gainfully employed and thriving in rural India. The solar cycle program
      addresses several of these dimensions.
      A rural household in India today has many of the same appointments as
      any household in the urban or developed world. Kids need to get to
      school, heads of households need to get to work, market, to the bank,
      and to the doctor. Because these communities are still under-served,
      these necessary trips can take up a significant part of the day and
      thereby effect the overall productivity of the household.
      Often, if a villager needs to somewhere beyond walking range, they will
      wait at the side of the road until a trucker comes by willing to give
      them a ride for a fee that they can afford. This method of
      transportation is time consuming, unreliable, and sometimes dangerous.
      What is needed is a reliable, cost effective method of transportation
      that gives rural households the freedom to travel quickly and safely and
      at the times and to the destinations they choose.
      Another primary benefit of the solar cycle program is that it creates a
      network of job opportunities that is self generating and sustainable in
      rural India. One could consider the network of automobile manufacture,
      distribution, and service in the U.S. with dealerships, service
      stations, retailers of accessories, registrars and government regulators
      and imagine a parallel could emerge under a different model in rural
      India. If the solar cycle replaced the automobile in rural India's
      development model, some of the major differences would be that an
      infrastructure of gasoline distribution and delivery would not be
      required and the negative sprawl and environmental effects of the
      automobile would be avoided. In a matter of a decade, China has become
      the leading producer and exporter of light electric vehicles such as
      electric bicycles and scooters due in part to the fact that light
      electric vehicles meet the needs of rural and lower income urban Chinese
      better than automobiles could. If India does not develop an indigenous
      solution to serve the needs of it's upwardly mobilizing rural
      population, that population will adopt an imported solution and Chinese
      manufacturers are currently well positioned to meet that need and
      capture this opportunity with the intention of adding as little as
      possible to the local Indian economy.

      Program objectives:
      To have 1000 solar cycles in operation within the first few years of the
      program. We seek to involve ten states in the program with ten centers
      in each state and ten cycles per center.
      Provide sustainable skills and jobs
      Experts in the field of solar energy and mechanical engineers will
      provide training to entrepreneurs in the areas of solar energy and cycle
      fabrication and maintenance. The training will be given to them at
      research centers and at their place of residence. The entrepreneurs will
      assemble these cycles themselves to gain familiarity with the product
      and to keep product acquisition costs low. The training and experience
      they gain could enable the entrepreneurs to expand their businesses to
      solar lanterns, solar streetlights for rural use or other solar energy
      based solutions.
      It will be self-generating
      It is anticipated that the program will provide investors with a 10%
      profit on components that will be purchased by the program and resold to
      entrepreneurs who will need to secure loans to cover these and other
      start-up costs. After the program period of five years, established
      businesses will be encouraged to spin-off and mentor new centers that
      will in turn attract job seekers, private investment, competition, and
      innovation thereby eliminating the need for the program to channel
      components and training to individual entrepreneurs.
      Technical details: (Subject to change as R&D is ongoing)
      450watt motor high-speed high torque (5500rpm, DC powered)
      (2-12volts 18A/33A Batteries)
      cycle – details and configurations unique to Indian market TBD, Wires
      70x130cm solar panel (stationary, not mounted to cycle)
      Why Two Batteries :One battery to charge at home and second mounted on
      cycles.

      Summary of Advantages:
      80km range with peddling.
      40km range without peddling.
      Inverters can be driven by solar cells to provide household or community
      AC power
      Employment generation
      Ecologically friendly
      Zero Emission
      Freedom of mobility – can travel safely at anytime to any destination
      Reduced gasoline consumption
      Reduced particulate and greenhouse emissions
      No need of Petrol pumps in villages.
      No recurring fuel expenses (Sun power is free for all, Pay for itself in
      fuel saving within three years)
      Introduction of solar power, as an alternative to grid power in rural
      and urban areas.
      Reduced growth in roadway burden
      No electricity needed for charging the batteries
      Allow an indigenous USA/ Indian solution to meet a need that would be
      otherwise met by an imported Chinese and foreign products. As all
      product are mentioned above are made in USA
      Non-profit organizations worker can use these instead of motor operated
      Vehicles run by Petrol,
      to save money and save environments.
      Physically challenged persons can use solar powered vehicle to increase
      independence.
      Financial summary:

      Program Financial Requirements (First 5 years for Indian market)
      16,500per cycle x 200 cycles----Rs. 3,300,000(this does not include
      cycle cost)
      Overhead for NGO-----------------Rs. 250,000
      Counsultants-------------------------Rs.450,000
      Total 1st year outlay---------------Rs. 4,000.000

      Grand total for five years is Rs 20,000,000(Twenty Millions Rupees).
      Outlay could be reduced by approximately 25% considering that the GOI
      may provide a subsidy of 10,000 Rs./cycle.

      Solar cycle cost breakdown:

      Component
      Cost in Rs
      Cost in $
      Base cycle
      1900
      100
      Solar Panel
      12,000
      256
      Motor D.C.
      2,800
      49
      Wires, hardware, etc
      300
      15
      2 battery packs
      1,400(battery life is three years)
      130(Battery life is ten years)
      Negotiations are in progress for prices of all components
      Battery need Maintenance
      Maintenance free
      Total cost (w/o cycle’s)
      16,500
      450
      Note above price includes 10% profit for investor in Indian rupees.

      Total part cost for parts only is 16,500 Rs /per cycle excluding cycle’s
      cost. (450$ in US dollars)

      At a relatively affordable rental rate of $25/month, a prosperous
      villager (income > $200/month ) could have exclusive use of a solar
      cycle and the owner would enjoy a payback period of less than 18 months
      on an asset that should generate income for approximately 60 months.
      Other schemes such as cycle sharing and solar cycle rickshaws are
      possible and could provide faster payback for the entrepreneur or more
      affordable rates for less prosperous villagers (average income $45/month).
      Reliability is a key factor in the success of the program, so ample
      budget for quality components and maintenance has been allocated and
      these will be central themes in training entrepreneurs.
      Growth and exit strategy:
      After the first year, it is expected that the entrepreneurs will be
      generating quite a bit of profit while being able to repay their loans.
      They will be encouraged to start mentoring new entrepreneurs after
      another two years of stable operation. Established owners can provide
      start-up capital to new ventures as an investment in exchange for a
      portion of the profits from the new ventures. In this way, the program
      is expected to be self-generating within the next five years and
      eventually will cover a large portion of rural India.
      Indirect saving
      In term of environment and Fossil fuel is enormous and we need not have
      a Petrol pump in every village but we can certainly have a solar cycles
      in each and every home of all 650,000 villages of India.
      We are expecting a subsidy from the Government of India of up to 1
      Million Rupees one time grant for one hundred proto-types. The balance
      can be raised against a loan guarantee from the GOI and a loan from
      World Bank. These will be supported by Local Non Governmental
      Organizations (NGO’S) working in local area and will be paid up to 5%
      overhead cost of entire project in time bound manner.
      For more information, please contact:
      Umesh Rashmi Rohatgi
      24161 Nilan Drive NOVI MI 49375-3754 USA
      phone :248-471-5786
      e-mail: “rurohatgi@...” webpage:www.rurohatgi.com