Response to Stephen/Alternative Currencies in Africa (linked to literacy)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2006
      Dear Stephen and All,

      Hello and immense thanks for these contacts! Henry Migingo is already well-known to some of us, as he is affiliated with OVF Kenya and Africa, and he and Sam do know each other, so that's a good start! The other contacts are most welcome too, and it does look like both are in Kenya now (from the addresses).

      I looked at your site, having just started to follow this alternative currency issue, and posted the S. African affiliate info to Sam, and on a couple of our related forums. Since the HQ of one of my own organizational affiliations is in Kenya, I will be interested to see how this project might serve as a possible model in that situation too. Also to investigate others based outside Africa, though each region and country does have its own cultural specifics, which can make cross-over challenging in some respects.

      Sam, Henry, Dr. Odhiambo, Silvano and all working in or linked with Kenya or Africa, it will be exciting to see how we might go about developing some common goals and linkages, and possibly projects, together. I will say that alternative currencies already exist in many places, perhaps not formally and known by this name, but existing due to the realities of life at the grassroots. To gather examples of what already exists and build from there may be the first step, and it sounds like Dr. Odhiambo might be doing some of this now.

      In this regard, I am also thinking of KAIPPG (my org... www.kaippg.org ) and its agricultural/nutrition program, wherein people help one another cooperatively with a variety of tasks and services, as well as with pooled and traded goods and skills. This is in part due to the heavy twin burdens of poverty and HIV/AIDS, and now in some places, famine conditions.

      People who are too sick to labor in the fields are cared for by a small group of family and non-family members working as a unit. In turn, those who take their place in the fields are supported in other ways. Produce grown is sometimes traded for other good and services, and--in conditions of malnutrition--is even preferred to other forms of payment. Some produce grown is saved and used as "seed capital" (literally) for following years, this partly for the small group units and also for the larger community.

      There has been much focus lately on finding ways to care for HIV/AIDS caregivers, and designing systems whereby people who give of their time, labor, energy should themselves be cared for in some ways, "rewarded" in a sense with time off to rest, or someone looking after their children, or being taught how to read or shown how to use a mobile phone or computer. In S. Africa, the idea of rewarding caregivers--mainly women--with some form of compensation is taking hold. I think that is being seen as money, though other forms of compensation are equally valuable, especially in areas where 90% of the women have little to no literacy skills.

      One big challenge is to help young women (usually in their teens) to continue their education, as they increasingly are called upon to care for their siblings and oftentimes their sick parents. This challenge dovetails with the literacy project we have been speaking about, and links with community currencies in a direct way, as these young women need skills-building and time to learn, which they could more easily get if there were a system in place to compensate them for some of the time spent caring for their families. In this case, with time itself, and possibly offers by community members to fill in as caregivers for brief periods, to watch siblings, or to themselves help to teach the young women.

      These are just some of the ideas and uses for alternative systems or ways of doing things, which in some cases can be layered over, threaded through, and/or integrated into traditional community systems and approaches. And in some cases linked with whatever systems are in place in the contemporary era, to address new challenges such as HIV/AIDS.

      With many thanks for all inputs on this important subject, and look forward to working on this with everyone! All best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@... )

      Greetings,

      I would like to contribute a number of contacts in Kenya:

      Henry Migingo  migingo@...      - who is in our cyfranogi group
      if I am not mistaken.

      Silvano Borruso  silbor@...    - who is writing on alternative
      economics and wrote a program for a school coupon system.

      PROF. THOMAS R. ODHIAMBO, Honorary President of the African Academy of
      Sciences:   aas@..., amdjo@...   - who is interested
      in cultural / traditional economic systems and was interested in an article
      i co-wrote with Bernard Lietaer on "Sustaining Cultural Vitality in a
      Globalizing World - The Balinese Example, which is found
      here:
      www.appropriate-economics.org/materials/sustaining_cultural_vitality.pdf

      Regarding the 2006 MicroGrant Program for the Promotion of Complementary
      Currency Systems, I am giving a grant to Sarvodaya in Sri Lanka for their
      work to introduce CC systems in the tsunami-affected areas there, and have
      recently received a number of requests that are still under consideration
      according to our criteria.  I put up 1,000 USD of my own savings for this,
      I hope that other donors will also join with me.

      A number of the systems that I would propose for application in Africa
      would cost about 25 USD to implement.   It would not make sense to
      encourage systems that would require donor funding in order to implement,
      however in certain cases such support is necessary.

      What we would like to see is what the group requesting a MicroGrant has
      already done to promote the implementation of Complementary Currency
      Systems in their country, and what they have done to build a network for
      these activities in their country, along the lines of contacting and
      linking with the people I have listed above.

      Examples of activities that can be done that would demonstrate committment
      to implementing a complementary currency system would involve translation
      of documents to local languages, community meetings and marketplaces,
      erecting a Community Noticeboard of Offers and Requests, things that
      generally cost more in time than in money.

      I agree that complementary currency systems are not, at all, the only way
      to go.  Here in Indonesia we are working hard to promote cultural /
      traditional economic systems, systems of community cooperation,
      participatory planning and budgeting, community social, environmental and
      economic mapping, household and small enterprise accounting and economic
      literacy, etc.  Of course there are many things that can be done.

      Regards,

      Stephen DeMeulenaere
      Asia Program Coordinator
      Strohalm Foundation