Community Currency for Samwel in Kenya?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2006

      Yes, I imagine that a community currency might open up a lot of
      possibilities for your work in Kenya. Please see below an application
      form from
      for applying for up to 500 USD support from Stephen DeMeulenaere of the
      Strohalm Foundation.

      They also have a nice list of steps to take in creating a currency
      http://www.complementarycurrency.org/helpdesk.html , which includes a
      community self-assessment. This would also be good for us in thinking
      about the work that you'll do these next couple of months for our lab.
      Let's start to think about that!

      +370 (5) 264 5950
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      2006 MicroGrant Fund for
      Complementary Currency Systems
      in Asia, Africa and Latin America

      The Microgrant Fund for Complementary Currency Systems began in 2005 as
      an initiative by Stephen DeMeulenaere of the Strohalm Foundation to
      encourage the implementation of systems in Asia, Africa and Latin
      America. In 2006, the fund will be increased to up to $500 USD in funding.

      Proposals can be sent in at any time. Initial Proposals should be no
      longer than 5 pages in length and must be submitted in English, French
      or Spanish.

      Proposals will be evaluated according to the criteria of Feasibility,
      Simplicity, Low-Cost Implementation, High-Impact Results and
      Replicability in other areas. This means that Proposals that are most
      likely to receive funding will demonstrate that Complementary Currency
      Systems are effective, low-cost/high-impact programs that are simple in
      design and easy to implement and replicate in other areas.

      The proposal should follow the format presented below. A final report
      on the activities and all documents produced during the project is expected.

      Please send the proposal as an MS Word or Open Office document (maximum
      size 500k) to:

      Stephen DeMeulenaere
      Asia Program Coordinator
      Strohalm Foundation
      Bali, Indonesia
      stephen_dem@... <mailto:stephen_dem@...>

      Examples of programs can be found in the Implementation section at

      For further information, visit:

      www.appropriate-economics.org <http://www.appropriate-economics.org/>,
      www.complementarycurrency.org <http://www.complementarycurrency.org/>,
      www.strohalm.org <http://www.strohalm.org/>

      _Format for Initial Proposals_

      1. General Information

      Organization / Group Name:

      Name of Person Responsible:

      Web Address:

      Mailing Address:

      2. Title of Complementary Currency Project:

      3. Brief Background on the Individual/Group submitting the

      4. Any affiliations between the Group and other organizations:

      (/ie//. Political, Religious or Organizational affiliations.)/

      5. Start Date & Duration of the Project:

      6. Brief Description of Project:

      7. Goal and Purpose of the Project:

      8. Activities of the Project: (/schedule of Activities and Dates
      and Locations./)

      9. Performance Indicators: (ie. /number of people who will come,
      target groups , topics, other quantitative, measurable indicators of the
      impact of the activities./)

      10. Outputs of the Project: (/ie. what will happen as a result of the
      project, what people will learn, be able to do, documents or materials
      to be produced, etc. )/.

      11. Demonstration of Feasibility, Simplicity, Low-Cost Implementation,
      High-Impact Results and Replicability of the Program in other areas:

      12. Local Partners: (/will this group be working with local partners?
      If so, please name them./)

      13. Total Budget: (/please be specific about budget amounts according
      to the Schedule of Activities and the number of persons involved.)/

      14. Other Assistance given to this Group and/or Project: (/ie.
      previously funded projects and Assistance given by other donor
      individuals or organizations/.)

      15. Any other information you would like to add in support of your proposal: