Hourly rates for data entry?

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10 6:12 AM
      Hi Kennedy Onyango and all,

      Greetings to Agnese!

      Kennedy and I chatted earlier about work that he might get so that he
      could fund their Internet access point.

      One of our lab's participants asked about hourly rates for data entry.
      Kennedy, do you know what you would charge? Please let me know, or
      preferably, please write to our group. I invite others among us to
      write as well if you are doing this kind of work or would like to.

      Generally, this would be mostly copying and pasting addresses and other
      information from web pages. Some reformatting might be required. It
      would be good to know English well, but it's relevant only occasionally.

      Note that much of the work can be done offline.

      Please be fair to yourself and your clients in setting hourly rates.
      They should get a decent price and you should make a decent profit.
      Note that your client may be looking to you as one among several
      suppliers. I suggest setting a rate that would have you most respect
      your client. If you set it too low, then you will not be able to give
      them your best service. If you set it too high, then you will not think
      of them as caring about the price. Somewhere in the middle is best, I
      think.

      Here is a company http://www.digitaldividedata.com that has developed
      this in Cambodia as a business. They have served over 50 clients and
      employed over 100 people. I include below a description from
      http://www.virtueventures.com

      I hope that we might find ways that our participants in Africa and other
      countries might make a living. Thank you for participating at our lab
      as "independent thinkers". You are supporting our lab members when you
      write about your concerns, your dreams, your ideas. This way we are all
      encouraged around the world. We're excited to include the widest
      variety of independent thinkers.

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      http://www.virtueventures.com/setypology/semg.aspx?id=EMX&lm=1
      Information provided by the World Bank Development Marketplace 2003

      Digital Divide Data, an example of Employment Model

      Cambodia's long history of war and devastation left a large number of
      disabled, disenfranchised and displaced people who face barriers to
      employment. Many Cambodian women have few economic choices other than to
      enter the sex trade. The poor become trapped in low-income jobs because
      their families could not afford to send them to school. Rural
      immigrants, who came to urban areas hoping to find a better life,
      instead wind up in squatter settlements scratching out a subsistence
      living picking through garbage heaps. Large numbers of Cambodians
      physically maimed or disabled in the war are completely marginalized
      from the workforce as a result of overt discrimination. The situation
      has created a huge surplus of labor in Cambodia, yet few institutions
      provide vocational training for this target population to secure
      relevant jobs.

      Technology avails an opportunity for poor and marginalized people to
      start entry level jobs and gain high value workplace experience and
      marketable skills while earning a livable wage. Digital Divide Data
      [WWW] is a technology-based employment social enterprise that provides
      vocational training to disadvantaged people in Cambodia. Its clients are
      landmine victims, abused women, rural immigrants and orphans. Through
      Digital Divide Data, they receive computer literacy and technology
      training to qualify for basic and low-skilled jobs in the technology
      sector. Clients are then placed in data entry jobs within Digital Divide
      Data whereby they receive paid on-the-job training in a supportive
      environment.

      Digital Divide Data secures contracts for data entry work outsourced by
      universities and businesses, which provides employment for its clients
      and generates income for its operating costs, including fair wages and
      social costs related to education and training. The combination of paid
      work experience and computer literacy, coupled with education prepares
      clients for higher-paying skilled work opportunities.
    • Jeff Buderer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10 10:05 AM
        Andrius,

        Thats a great idea and I think this is a key area where we can begin
        planning for an investment model that builds on the work of various ICT
        pioneers. The idea is to offer a sustainable financial system for these
        centers based on a socially conscious/fair trade outsourcing model. I
        believe such a plan is key pushing the ICT4D model to critical mass in
        Africa and other regions of the world

        Jeff