Re: [nafsiafrikasaana] Funding: Needs and Donations/Tom Ochuka and his community/arts and sports

  • Maria Agnese Giraudo
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
      Dear Janet and all,
      i have taken seriously my  task of assitant of Ken Owino. I'll track him to meet his needs and needs of people he cares for.
      Regarding Tom I could send him by Western Union 50 Euros tomorrow. I don't get confirmation from Achmani that he has received  the airtime and the voucher by Mamamikes.
      Maria Agnese

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> ha scritto:
      Dear Andrius and All,

      There is a lot to respond to here, but a quick question: what is the
      situation now with the Mungikis and the funds I sent which originally were
      meant in part for them (to help solidify those gains and keep the killing at
      bay), and in part for a laptop and/or ad?

      My thinking is this: if Ricardo can send a laptop to Rachel, and she can
      wait for it to be delivered (ie if the wait will not hamper her work), then
      we can use the funds I donated for an ad. This you mentioned a few days ago
      as being $200-300. If the funds are no longer needed for the Mungiki--which
      I thought might be half the amount I sent (w/the other half to go for a used
      laptop, or an ad and part of the laptop)--then what I donated could go a
      long way towards covering the initial amount our members need.

      This you may have had in mind when you sent the funds to our members
      yesterday or today, Andrius. If some brainstorming abt this might still be
      helpful, I am here for that, more by email than by phone (in that I am
      somewhat at a disadvantage) , though I would like to have a strategizing call
      with you in the next few days (Saturday or Monday better than Sunday).

      I will respond as soon as I can to you, Sasha, Ricardo and others who have
      broached the fundraising subject. One thing I will say is that this seems an
      ideal time to approach Safaricom, because they have been accused by some of
      allowing "hate speech" to be transmitted via their network. Thus approaching
      them with a plan for "peace speech" would be "win-win".

      Other feedback:

      1) T-shirts: how much is estimated for that? They can be sold, but funds
      will be needed upfront for the printing, I think...unless we can find a
      printer to donate an initial printing, which can then be sold and those
      funds go into a second one and more. If we are wildly successful with that,
      we might give the original "gift" back as repayment to the printer (esp if
      they are in need in these hard financial times).

      2) Tom Ochuka and the Deaf community: Tom needs a camera ($300...I can
      donate some funds if 1-2 other people can as well), in part to communicate
      with his deaf members, and in part to communicate about them and Deaf Impact
      to the rest of the world. I'm wondering how we can involve people who are
      deaf--and therefore have a disadvantage in a system which is phone and
      audio-based (ie our POP in Kenya)--and I ask all of us to think abt that.
      It will be pertinent both for this emergency work and the immediate time
      period, and for the future. It would make sense that text-based messaging
      would be very helpful. In a tele-networking conference, how can we include
      more people who are deaf?

      3) Arts: Dennis and Collins have given us a proposal for engaging many
      youth using theater, and I plan to contribute to that soon. Others are so
      welcome in this regard...please let us know of your interest. Dennis,
      Collins, Ron: you had mentioned a Peace Tiles workshop at some point, and
      it would be good to bring that into the mix. I think other arts--esp those
      for which we can use paper (rather than wood) and mural-making- -which can
      involve many people at once--will be good to consider. Rachel may have some
      great feedback for us on that, and plans to include arts in her work (she is
      head of the Kenya chapter of the International Child Art Foundation).

      4) Sports: footballs (soccer) still needed?

      Thanks much and blessings to all, Janet

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
        Janet,

        I received most recently:

        January 27 200 GBP from Pamela McLean
        January 28 800 USD from Janet Feldman
        January 30 1,000 USD from Janet Feldman
        TOTAL: 2,200 USD

        I sent, including fees:
        by Mamamikes:
        January 28: 49 USD to Lawrence Achami
        January 28: 96 USD to Rono Richards
        January 28: 143 USD to Rachel Wambui Kungu
        January 31: 49 USD to Tom Ochuka for peace in Kisumu

        by Western Union:
        January 28: 903 USD to Rachel Wambui Kungu - this was in preparation to
        go to Naivasha
        January 30: 255 USD to Dennis Kimambo -
        January 30: 335 USD to Wesley Chirchir Chebii - to go to Eldoret
        January 31: 1,050 USD to Rachel Wambui Kungu - this was the follow up to
        Naivasha
        January 31: 123 USD to Ronald Odhiambo - for his trip to Naivasha
        February 1: 1,490 USD to Rachel Wambui Kungu - this is what I sent
        today for the ad and to have money for the start of our February work

        TOTAL: 4493 USD

        Which means that the difference has come out of my pocket. Mentally,
        Janet, I sent sent your money to Rachel and we still need to confer
        about a portion of the January 31 money and we should confer about the
        February 1 money. But I have made it a priority to send what was needed
        for our operations rather than wait. That is one reason why we have
        succeeded. Your donations were extremely timely, Janet. Almost all of
        the funds above were for immediate application to peace missions.

        Rachel and all, we'll need reports, and it's great that some have been
        coming in. Thank you, Ronald.

        We have been able to apply our resources with immediate strategic
        impact. Opening a key road is perhaps worth millions of dollars per day
        and perhaps feeds or cures thousands of people. Bringing peace to a
        place like Naivasha may save dozens of lives per day. This is one kind
        of impact and it fits one kind of donor, perhaps a total stranger
        helping total strangers. Another kind of project is, for example, a
        digital camera for Tom Ochuka and Deaf Impact. Here the urgency is less
        but the potential is great. Thus I think we seek a different kind of
        donor, one who looks for a different king of impact, who has a long term
        view and might participate themselves, which is most valuable. Indeed,
        in Tom's case I think it would be great if he and others in Kisumu had
        "Kenyan buddies" who might contribute for such a project or find donors
        so that we have friends helping friends. I am trying to make such
        distinctions clear because that also helps us all share the joy and the
        pain.

        Early next week I plan to complete our audit system and put up the data
        and teach Sasha how to maintain the spreadsheets for each leader making
        reports. I will also focus on finding funders or clients because I
        shouldn't "invest" much more. I have as an organizer and entrepreneur
        invested myself to develop our pyramid so that we have a well
        established capability to offer to funders or clients who might meet us
        halfway. If I have gambled correctly, then this will open doors to
        work and funding. If not, then at least we've prevented ethnic strife.

        I plunked down the 1,490 USD today to show my great appreciation for our
        leadership coming together, for them having a focused plan, and for
        their allowing me to serve as Commander-in-Chief, which makes clear my
        own role. This will be money for the ad and then for the other expenses
        they envisage in their plan. I sent a little bit extra and I think it
        would be good to use that to pay for T-shirts "Humanity before
        Politics", but I think that such an operation should be structured to
        fund itself or even to generate a profit. For example, the prices can
        be structured so that wealthier Kenyans buy one for the price of two,
        and thus sponsor a T-shirt for a Pyramid of Peace volunteer. Or
        T-shirts could be sent to donors around the world.

        I have promised Dennis Kimambo a good phone for 150 USD when he returns
        from Zambia. (Also, I invite donations of used phones and used
        laptops.) I will also send him 100 USD tomorrow for his own use. Thank
        you, Dennis, for your great leadership.

        Janet, I look forward to talking. Please send me your telephone number
        and best times to try to call.

        Good night,

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
          I forgot to mention perhaps the most important reason that I sent money
          today which is that the Mungikis have placed hopes in us and I care very
          much that we prove them right. This also means that we should focus on
          engaging the Kalenjin and work closely with Rono and Wesley and others.
          I have worked from the beginning to encourage us to focus on embracing
          the Kalenjin. Let us not be lax! Andrius

        • Maria Agnese Giraudo
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
            Dear Andrius, Tom, Janet,
            I have yet informed Janet that todayI send to Tom 50. I send also 30€ to Lawrance Achmani  who didn't receive my precedent voucher  that has been taken by Red Cross. Ken and people under his responsibility are assisted by me.
            MA

            Andrius Kulikauskas wrote:
> [...]
            >> would be very helpful. In a tele-networking conference, how can we include
            >> more people who are deaf?
            >>
            >> 3) Arts: Dennis and Collins have given us a proposal for engaging many
            >> youth using theater, and I plan to contribute to that soon. Others are so
            >> welcome in this regard...please let us know of your interest. Dennis,
            >> Collins, Ron: you had mentioned a Peace Tiles workshop at some point, and
            >> it would be good to bring that into the mix. I think other arts--esp those
            >> for which we can use paper (rather than wood) and mural-making- -which can
            >> involve many people at once--will be good to consider. Rachel may have some
            >> great feedback for us on that, and plans to include arts in her work (she is
            >> head of the Kenya chapter of the International Child Art Foundation).
            >>
            >> 4) Sports: footballs (soccer) still needed?

          • Theresa Bakalarz
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
              Dear All,
              because of the worries of my parents and many many reproaches of other people I am not able to come to Kenya right now.

              You know the problem is, here in Austria I just feel powerless. I wanted to come, to help my friends, to help in Nyang´oma Mission, to help Tom in Kisumu...

              But it is not easy to do something like that against the will of my family.

              I am waiting now a bit. Maybe two weeks, one month... and then I am coming.

              Tom, I will contact you because of Western Union Bank and everything. You can count with about 400 Euros!

              In Love, Theresa
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
                Theresa,

                We have a great need for online volunteers. We aren't able to keep up
                with the news! and that means it's not getting out. We make telephone
                calls and send SMS, we move it from letters to our wiki and then try to
                get bloggers interested.

                If you would like to volunteer, please find Sasha Mrkailo mrkflux AT
                sezampro.yu and let him know. He is also at the chat room
                http://www.worknets.org/chat/ which is where we hang out as we do our
                online work. Sasha it would be good if you might start your own working
                group at this time. It should be based on your deepest value, but you
                can change the name as you like in time, too.

                Also, this would be a way to get to know many people in Kenya and the
                situation across the country. That will help you know more when and
                where to travel and what you might do.

                Who else might possibly volunteer?

                Thank you for your great concern for Kenyans! and all people,

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
                  Hello Dear Maria Agnese and All,

                  Fantastic to hear from you, and thanks so much for whatever you can do for Tom! That will definitely help with a camera!! Also for helping Achami...it sounds like he did not receive some of it, but at least you tried, and let me know if I can be helpful to him and to you re sending more aircredit or food vouchers.

                  Do you think the Red Cross itself got the airtime or vouchers?  I know MamaMikes's and Sambazanow were collecting for this specifically, and perhaps in a camp setting it is easier for the RC to get the donation of vouchers (airtime should be directly topped off to the individual's phone...unless MamaMike's designated a "recipient pickup" instead of direct top-off, which they did with one of my orders).

                  Hopefully all of this love, caring, and support is going somewhere positive and productive in any case!!  With love and blessings, Janet

> [...]
                  > is "Ethical Public Domain: Debate of Questionable Practices" and we will
                  > engage corporate workers ("enemies embracing enemies") with the same
                  > vigor as we have in Kenya so that we allow the Public Domain to have
                  > primacy over copyright and we prepare to enshrine this in Europe's
                  > constitutions. This will also be an international meeting for Minciu
                  > Sodas and for the Pyramid of Peace.
                  >
                  > I have delegated much of my authority for now. I will work on our
                  > online software for our Worknets system and our Pyramid of Peace audit
                  > system. I will need software developer volunteers. I ask Sasha Mrkailo
                  > to lead our online volunteers. I also ask Pamela, Maria Agnese, Asif,
                  > Janet, Ricardo, Benoit, Meadowlea and all to explain your leadership
                  > role so that we might fully integrate ourselves.
                  >
                  > I ask our help to raise more money. Please send it to me by PayPal at

                • Maria Agnese Giraudo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Dear Janet,
                    I report to you my activity of caring after peacemakers:
                    I sent now 30 €  by WU to Achami, he got airtime 500Ksh
                    and 50 € to Tom Ochuka.
                    I'm in constant touch with Ken, but also with other acrobats: James and  Kenneth back from Zambia.

                  • tom ochuka
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
                      Dear Maria,
                      Thanks for thinking about us and the funding...we
                      have noticed imediately that the schools in Nyanza
                      seems to operate today after last weeks attempt and
                      one monthof noeducation..we had been having all the
                      deaf with us..this was costry..they are now going back
                      try to go bak to school.
                      Christine
                      Nancy
                      Vincent...WE are using funds from Maria to adress
                      thier existing needs..this willmaorly transport them
                      and the guardias..we areally need shoping for
                      5hem...inorder for them to be complete.
                      It means we shall need other funding fo camera..Maria
                      sent 50 euros..thanks..
                      Janet thanks for ..this concern..Godd camra can go
                      for 300 usd here we can find some.. we need it so if
                      you still can be joined with others this is good.
                      We are working omn rebuilding our site this needs
                      funding as we accomodate not only children but the
                      youths too.
                      Theresa ..didnt travell foe safetey..just take
                      sometime we shall ever update you....Can you try money
                      gramm....Janet can advice you on this since she uses
                      it..it could be acvaliable in your area.
                      Today another calm monday in kisumu..but fears still
                      reings as nobody knows tomorrow.
                      Thanks
                      TOM OCHUKA.
                      --- Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...>

                      === message truncated ===

                      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                    • Theresa Bakalarz
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
                        Dear Tom,

                        Hope you got my sms!?

                        I was transfering you 263,50 Euros - thats 25.452,47 KSH!! Please write me sms when you received the money! It should be there already! First I wanted to transfer you only about 100 Euro and then wait, if you receive it. But because transfering is so expensive, I gave you all the money I have at the moment!
                        It was a long way till I managed how to do that, cause nobody in any bank knew how to do this. Now I´ve found a western union bank in vienna. They could help me. There are only 1 or 2 in this city - thats why I needed so much time. Its on the other side of my city.
                        I will try to send you more money. There are some people who promised me to give me money soon!
                        I cant tell you when exactly. But I will let you know!

                        Kwaheri!! Peace, Theresa

                        -------- Original-Nachricht --------

                      • tom ochuka
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
                          Dear Theresa,
                          It seems you managed to succeed thanks ..i have just
                          arrived in kisumu..from south nayanza.I took some
                          children to school..from Ahero.
                          I have recieved the money..this is indeed agreat
                          help.i will give you more info on how to help the
                          deafimpact.
                          Am greatfull that you are having ateam to help the
                          ministry here,Am sending you volunteer forms..incase
                          any wants to come with you from your university,W/U
                          works very well..once you are through we shall
                          comunicate.
                          With big Thanks
                          TOM OCHUKA.