Re: [holistichelping] Re: PLEASE help me coming to kenya

  • Theresa Bakalarz
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
      Dear All,

      first, thank you for your answers and your advices! I have been to Kenya before. In summer I was working at the Nyang´oma (bondo) mission in the Orphanage.
      I have seen many parts of Kenya and I know the people. If I didnt know Kenya, I dont know if I had this big with to come. I am now just thinking about "my kenyan family" in Nyang´oma. The Orphans and my friends who work there in the mission.
      A friend from there said, situation there is fine. Nothing happend in Bondo for a long time. And there were only demonstrations.
      At the moment I dont really know what to do. I have got one month. In one month I have to be back here (Austria) and ready to go back to university! (Studying african science)

      I still cant decide. I dont know. Maybe I am going to decide at the airport if I go or not.

      Thank you all, Theresa
      -------- Original-Nachricht --------

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
        Dear Asif, Andrius, and All,

        This email exchange has somewhat "strayed" too--as did the letter Andrius wrote to me--but I regard what is being said here as highly relevant and important, though for a different time, when urgencies have somewhat eased. It may be that a different context would be good too, at least for some of the discussion.

        Some of the issues being brought up I can relate to myself. We do need to have some discussions about how our mutual work, time, energy, and caring are framed, encouraged, tended, utilized, and acknowledged. Some of the structural issues are crucial to our future as a large and growing entity, one which encompasses both individual focus and group endeavors.

        As a woman and as a social activist who has long dreamed of and worked in "alternative" settings, I find I am challenged by some of the way our work is framed and structured. There are other concerns and considerations too, and it would be good to air them.

        In a strange but human way, some of what we are feeling and experiencing is akin to what is happening in Kenya. This is the territory of conflict, which can yield "opportunity" as well as "risk".

        Thanks very much for the wonderful work everyone is doing, and blessings to you all! Janet
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
          Janet:

          You are right. This should be aired after the conflict. I was just angered by the statement that cut me down and had to respond. It was part of a long e-mail buried within. Anyways - there is always tension when a large group works and people are doing their best to assist and it's all going so fast that it gets lost in the noise. We have been having an extra huge amount of e-mail to contend with and there is a lot going on - all for the betterment of Kenya and it's people. This organization has done a lot of good for Kenyans.....and I am moved by that.
          We at TrainersPod are doing other projects in Kenya and they involve using local NGOs and Churches etc. e.g We provide them with the latest news so that they are aware where they need to go to get people that are needy and using my connections at Hospitals and Pharmacies to get them the right help. So our focus is very different. It was like when I sent connections of a Hospital and a Pharmacy that Sam could get to.....although he choose a different route. That's what TrainersPod is involved in.

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
            Asif, Janet,
            Thank you for your letters.
            I look forward to reflecting and ongoing learning how to work together
            and organize a shared culture.
            Andrius