[holistichelping] PLEASE help me coming to kenya

  • Theresa Bakalarz
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
      Dear All,

      I´m writing very desperate and with tears in my eyes. TOMORROW my flight is going from Vienna (Austria) to Nairobi. After that I have a flight to Kisumu.

      I am going to stay near Bondo like I told you before.

      My problem now is that my parents dont want me to go. I have planned lots of things, was collecting money (also for Tom) and have lots of t-shirts, pencils and everything. (Beside that I am only 20 years old)

      PLEASE! COULD SOMEONE OF YOU WRITE DOWN very clear how situation is in Kisumu, Bondo or Nyang´oma. My parents are fearing that one day Kikuyu are going to attack Nyanza district, and coming to smaller villages. I dont believe in that but my parents are really worrying. THEY ARE WORRYING ABOUT THE FUTURE! WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN TWO WEEKS? ESCALATION? PEACE?
      They think they´re going to loose me.
      I dont know what to tell them anymore. They can just see this horrible things on TV how people run on the streets with machetes and think I am going to stay exactly there.

      Bondo is different. I am just worrying about the future. But I believe that things are becoming better soon.

      BUT NOW I JUST WANT TO COME TO KENYA and I am just desperate because I do this against the will of my whole Family. My sister was asking me, if I am crazy and how I can do this to my parents. That they have to worry a whole month.

      BUT THEY DONT SEE HOW THE SITUATION IS IN BONDO!

      Please! Please help me that my parents cool down. I know it can always happen something! But I am never on the roads, I am taking a flight Nairobi-Kisumu.
      I JUST NEED A COMMENT ABOUT THE SITUATION RIGHT NOW!

      I run out of my energy. I got very weak in the last time.
      I dont know what I shall do now. I´m helpless.

      Yours Theresa
    • Hezekiah Nyaranga
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
        Dear Theresa,
        My name is Hezekiah and I work at Reach-out childrens
        centre just afew kilometers out of town.I stay in
        kisumu town though i comute evryday to the
        community,As concerns to the situation now in
        kisumu,it is so much unpredictable and it would be
        wrong for me to say calm in this case.The situation
        changes ev erday depending on what has happened
        especially in the political line.
        I have friends in America that support my organization
        and they were suppose to be here this friday,one of
        them is already in Uganda now and 3 just arrived in
        south Africa this morning ,it is painful but i had to
        get all of the cancell their trips to kenya because of
        what happened in kisumu yesterday,after the death of
        another Member of parliament in Eldoret.
        I knows Bondo my be calm but i strongly object you
        taking the trip now, i recomend that you delay it even
        fo 2 weeks and study the situation.
        Hezekaih

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
          Dear Theresa, Hezekiah, and Tom,

          Thanks to Hez and Tom for their feedback to you, Theresa, and I think it
          would be best if you would wait too. There have not been wholesale attacks
          on foreigners, but there have been some, so it might be best to wait until
          things calm down.

          In the meantime, you can still do fundraising and friendraising for our
          members in Kisumu--including Tom and Hez--
          as money, supplies, and friends who will be aware and supportive of our
          members and work are invaluable. If you have collected even a small amount
          of funds, you might consider sending it.

          In fact, the funds that would have been spent on a plane ticket--if you
          could consider that--would probably send all of the deaf children Tom is
          caring for back to school. As it is now, a number of them cannot go, and it
          would literally and figuratively mean the world to them.

          Another thing that Tom and I discussed this morning is that you might do
          some research abt orgs (international, national, even local to you, as they
          might like a "buddy" in Kisumu) which could help Deaf Impact Ministry. What
          country are you in?

          For everyone, Hezekiah has long been seeking just $750 to stock a pharmacy
          (already started) which will help a whole community gain access to
          vitally-needed medications. This will also provide him with a livelihood,
          which will help to keep the pharmacy going too. It's a small amount for a
          big return: a sustainable enterprise for sustaining the life and health of
          hundreds of people.

          Thanks much for your note, and please do not be disheartened. You will get
          to Kenya someday soon--hopefully this year--and in the meantime, you can
          still do a world of good, while maintaining your safety and relieving your
          parents' minds. That's called a "win-win-win" solution :)).

          With blessings and all best wishes, Janet

        • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
            Andrius:

            This communication could have been done privately, but you did not want it, and besides I found you speaking ill of me in a section to Janet, I could NOT find that e-mail that it was taken out from, hence, it must have been a private e-mail.

            I have my own business to run and can not do your leadership for you. But when you say that you had to take it on your own since I provided no ideas of worth, that is when one becomes defensive of what they have contributed, and not for credit as you indicate. That must be made very clear. I have dealt with organizations in Kenya and it does not take the amount of money you are spilling in - you have no idea of the cost of living in Kenya.....and what it takes to encourage people to get things done there. So I would stop as soon as possible to compare leadership styles.......yes, you have one, and I have a different perspective. I have and always will credit your organization - that is the people that make up the organization for the fine work they have done. I did not take on this project since I have matters going on from TrainersPod. Hence, I hate being the subject of your e-mail where you describe what a wonderful job you have done but at the expense of cutting me down. If you want to pat yourself on the back - go ahead - but don't try to cut me down in the process. As for not offering Elluminate - it was a matter of the contract being made available - and that is between me and Pamela.

            Asif

            "In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
              Dear All,

              first, thank you for your answers and your advices! I have been to Kenya before. In summer I was working at the Nyang´oma (bondo) mission in the Orphanage.
              I have seen many parts of Kenya and I know the people. If I didnt know Kenya, I dont know if I had this big with to come. I am now just thinking about "my kenyan family" in Nyang´oma. The Orphans and my friends who work there in the mission.
              A friend from there said, situation there is fine. Nothing happend in Bondo for a long time. And there were only demonstrations.
              At the moment I dont really know what to do. I have got one month. In one month I have to be back here (Austria) and ready to go back to university! (Studying african science)

              I still cant decide. I dont know. Maybe I am going to decide at the airport if I go or not.

              Thank you all, Theresa
              -------- Original-Nachricht --------

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Dear Asif, Andrius, and All,

                    This email exchange has somewhat "strayed" too--as did the letter Andrius wrote to me--but I regard what is being said here as highly relevant and important, though for a different time, when urgencies have somewhat eased. It may be that a different context would be good too, at least for some of the discussion.

                    Some of the issues being brought up I can relate to myself. We do need to have some discussions about how our mutual work, time, energy, and caring are framed, encouraged, tended, utilized, and acknowledged. Some of the structural issues are crucial to our future as a large and growing entity, one which encompasses both individual focus and group endeavors.

                    As a woman and as a social activist who has long dreamed of and worked in "alternative" settings, I find I am challenged by some of the way our work is framed and structured. There are other concerns and considerations too, and it would be good to air them.

                    In a strange but human way, some of what we are feeling and experiencing is akin to what is happening in Kenya. This is the territory of conflict, which can yield "opportunity" as well as "risk".

                    Thanks very much for the wonderful work everyone is doing, and blessings to you all! Janet

                  • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Janet:

                      You are right. This should be aired after the conflict. I was just angered by the statement that cut me down and had to respond. It was part of a long e-mail buried within. Anyways - there is always tension when a large group works and people are doing their best to assist and it's all going so fast that it gets lost in the noise. We have been having an extra huge amount of e-mail to contend with and there is a lot going on - all for the betterment of Kenya and it's people. This organization has done a lot of good for Kenyans.....and I am moved by that.
                      We at TrainersPod are doing other projects in Kenya and they involve using local NGOs and Churches etc. e.g We provide them with the latest news so that they are aware where they need to go to get people that are needy and using my connections at Hospitals and Pharmacies to get them the right help. So our focus is very different. It was like when I sent connections of a Hospital and a Pharmacy that Sam could get to.....although he choose a different route. That's what TrainersPod is involved in.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Asif, Janet,
                        Thank you for your letters.
                        I look forward to reflecting and ongoing learning how to work together
                        and organize a shared culture.
                        Andrius