Re: [holistichelping] Growing Peace, Understanding Roots, Crisis as Opportunity

  • Maria Agnese Giraudo
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
      Dear Rachel, Janet, Denis , Andrius, Ken, Pam, David, Samwel and all,

      let me add my joy and appreciation for the great work of Rachel, Denis, Ken, Samwel  and all Kenyans are  devoted to their community, specially in so critical situation. I can't believe that so good and intelligent people can work together  in so productive and effective way!
       Thanks Andrius too for your intelligent-loving-dreaming!!!   Andrius you help us  don't be shy and  be "crazy" dreamers and very effective too. Thanks Janet for deep understanding of the reality and Pam  for your great contribution in creating content and contacts, Asif for caring and advising, Richardo and Joy for offering your  high skills in ICT for the community! Thanks Sahsa, Fred, Meadowlea, Kims for your intelligent assistence and conrtribution!  Sorry I can thanks everybody!
       I agree with Andrius, we have to serve people like you: Rachel, Ken, Denis, David. We have to des cover people like you!! We  need people like you in Europe as well! The world has to change and the violence and distruction is in every country. in Europe too, because  people  are not recognized in their humanity and can't develop themselves. You are helping  me to recover humanity where i live.
      I met the Community of Sant Egidio in Rome last Thursday, as Rhone suggested me. It was the 40th anniversary of the Community and there many priests and bishops of many Christian confessions, Protestant, Orthodox and I suppose also Jewishs, Muslims from all over the world. We have prayed together.
      I had a talk with Marco Bartoli e Giancarlo Penza of the Community. Thery are very available to  contact us of MSLab and Kenyands in Italy: Chrispinus, Robert, me, and other Kenyans, Ivan from Torino and others want to collaborate to support Kenyans for peace.
      I'm available to collabotate to sustain Kenyans fighting for peace and to spread this experience in Europe!
      I hope Minciu SodasLab with all people of good will in Kenya wset up and organization  to support for long time people fighting for peace!!
      All the best!
      Maria Agnese

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> ha scritto:
      Dear Dennis and All,

      Yes, that's what some are saying in the forums too.  Also there is much talk of William Ruto, and some of it seems to point to him being involved directly in the fomenting of violence.

      An article yesterday in a forum described how Kisumu has been largely emptied of Kikuyus, because they were targeted with such savagery in the immediate aftermath of the election. Kikuyus were the ones who were targeted and died in Kibera in the early days, and other acts of violence against them took place elsewhere. In Kibera, at any rate, Luos seemed to be predominantly responsible, according to reports.

      This has been the reason, many analysts say, for the revenge attacks now by Kikuyus. The Mungiki see themselves as the guardians of their people (defined by tribe), staving off genocide by instilling fear due to their violent behavior and acts.

      Apparently there has been hate speech on the radio and in other communications- -this may be part of a more organized campaign--which has stirred things up even more. Perhaps some Kikuyus hearing these messages have responded as did the Hutu against the Tutsis in Rwanda...strike out at other ethnicities, because they have injured us.

      It's great that you are talking with people and that they are responding by questioning what is happening, and hopefully what they are doing. If they can get back to a place of thinking and perceiving more like "Kenyans"--ie we may have challenges and problems, but we are one people too--they may be less prone to perceive those of other ethnicities as enemies, and therefore less prone to killing or injuring them in some way (then again, "Americans" may feel like one people in some ways, but we kill each other for a pair of sneakers or a "wrong" look).

      With greatest thanks for your work and for your peaceful and courageous spirit! Janet