Projects in Agriculture and Compensation Strategies

  • Steve Bosserman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2006

      Hi,

      Andrius’ note hits on several points worth considering in the arena of adding value through worthy work and receiving fair compensation.  The result of our work is experienced in three arenas:

      1)       general / theoretical on a global scale

      2)       planning / coordination to convert the broad-based theory into a project that is actionable, supportable, and capable of successful completion at the grassroots

      3)       commitment / action to do the necessary steps for the project to work out using pathways of feedback and response

      Most of us have the potential to add value in all three and frequently do.  Unfortunately, the value-add is too often only compensated for most of the third and part of the second, but rarely the first.  This is especially the case when a federally-back currency is the medium of exchange.  Those paying the tab want to see tangible evidence of a return on their investment.

      One of the benefits of complementary currencies is to make available an alternative medium of exchange that can be used to compensate the value-add for the first and some of the second.  This is not about investment in the traditional sense where money put in is supposed to make more money.  Instead, the challenge is to acknowledge those who have contributed by awarding them a measure of compensation that equals the value of the work they did.  For a complementary currency to do this, it must hold value in the following exchange circumstances:

      1)       can be exchanged for work of similar value within a community

      2)       can be exchanged for work of similar value in another community

      3)       can be exchanged for federally-backed currency at a reasonable conversion rate

      In thinking about a project in local-based agriculture, there are numerous opportunities for both federally-backed and complementary currency systems to be used in articulating the theoretical underpinnings followed by developing the plans and putting them into play.  Jeff and others have several key concepts about creating a sustainable and ecologically sound locally-based agricultural business “system” that considers the production agriculture (food, feed, fuel, and fiber) value chain in its entirety (agricultural practices, post-harvest processing and packaging, logistics and inventory, and retailing—including novel ways in which the customer experiences the value chain) from non-mainstream perspectives.  Any project will be a “mix and match” of these different aspects.  What is critical, though, is getting three threads woven together into a powerful story that attracts and holds the creative talents needed to pull it off.  These are as follows:

      1)       Those who can envision possibilities and use language in ways that paint compelling pictures about future opportunities and attracts others who want to make them happen

      2)       Those who can see how to translate a general and generic vision into locally applicable endeavors / plans with viability on the ground, so to speak

      3)       Those who have the capabilities to carryout the steps necessary at the grassroots level to make the projects truly successful

      Any project, whether based in Canada centered by someone like Benoit or in Kenya with someone like Samwel, or in the U.S. with someone like Jeff, or wherever, is going to take a combination of us or people like us to conceive of it, plan it, and do it.  That means we will have to be able to fairly compensate one another through a combination of federally-backed and complementary currencies for the work that we do in weaving the threads together.  How do those like Benoit, who are so articulate in the mystical world get fairly compensated for their remarkable contributions when their value-add is not easily measured by traditional economic standards?  Or how does Samwel receive compensation in a form that can be easily exchanged for sorely needed computer equipment?  Given our current personal and professional circumstances, each of us has a particular mix of these elements that is essential for us to fully contribute, feel fairly compensated, and engage with others in accomplishing subsequent steps.  How do we talk about what we each need in order to participate?  That is at the framework for ensuing fairness.  So, it is about projects worth doing and doing projects in ways that contributors are compensated fairly for doing worthy work well.  Looking forward to seeing what emerges!

      Best regards,

      Steve B.