Re: Janet, may I call you? My story

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
      I reply to Asif, but otherwise it's not a very important letter. It's
      tangential. Andrius

      Asif,

      Yes I also recommend collecting cell phones. Who would like to do that?
      It's a great example of an independent project that one can do at their
      own pace, have a wonderful impact one month from now, and not have to
      worry about the immediate day, who is going to be killed or saved.

      Asif, we have been caring about the "invisible folks" since early on.
      Indeed, since we started working with Samwel Kongere. They are the end
      recipients of the help that goes out. We have participants who are
      transporting refugees, feeding them, delivering food to the rural areas.

      I estimate that for about 10,000 USD we have organized and provided some
      resources for at least 100 peacemakers. We have a list of telephones at
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?HelpKenyans of at least 70 people who
      have understood the point of the Pyramid of Peace and I am sure there
      are more. I imagine each of them as involving perhaps 10 people to whom
      they send airtime or of whom they ask for help for local projects,
      surely this is how it's done in formal or informal organizations like
      REPACTED, Nafsi Afrika Acrobats, Uyoga, ACTWID KONGADZEM. And when you
      count everybody who got a meal or a ride or attended a community theater
      event that got them through the day after they had been traumatized,
      surely it is 10,000 people or more. Surely every person loved radiates
      that out to 10 people or so, and that's reenforced by the news that's
      carried by the radio shows or the people who rode on the roads we freed
      but especially the word-of-mouth networks, maybe we touched 100,000
      people, and the gift of our love grows as we pass it onward. It's a
      tangible percentage of the 300,000 who have been displaced. And it's
      among the most vulnerable that we are reaching if you consider that we
      are organizing road trips to the Kalenjin areas or to Naivasha where we
      are often the first to go, we are their "first impression" of the help
      they might receive, and when you consider that our distribution
      decisions are made locally by people who have always worked with fewer
      resources than they merit.

      Asif, you imply that the money we go is used by our leaders. I have a
      cruel streak by which I give them just enough so they would have the
      strength to give to others. They have placed their lives at risk, have
      lost brothers, have risked their homes, have been robbed of their phones
      and cameras, have neglected care for their own health, have surely eaten
      irregularly because I know that I have. I also have a pious streak
      whereby I don't touch money that isn't meant for me and so typically I
      end up absorbing the Western Union fees or part of them. I am a giver
      of first resort and last resort. Do you think our leaders are any
      different? That is why I have to command them to use a decent portion
      for themselves, and in that sense I am a commander. I can't imagine how
      we could be distributing better and why would anybody listen to you or
      me or anybody on this matter except as we are able to show that by our
      example. I read in your sentences a lack of empathy for me and others.
      If you loved me, then you would command me to get more sleep and find
      more money for myself, and not haunt me with "invisible folks". That's
      why we publish phone numbers, so that nobody is invisible, or at least,
      we keep getting closer to them.

      Here is how I think life works in Kenya, even though I have never been
      there. I believe that when we rally around Samwel Kongere, we lift his
      entire village, even his island. Hundreds of people benefit from his
      good health. If anything should happen to him, then it would be a
      calamity to his region. Surely he has a churchful of people praying for
      him. These are the invisible folks who I imagine.

      By definition, Minciu Sodas serves the independent thinkers, the people
      who are pushed aside by the system, who are the marginalized, the
      isolated, the excluded. Just look around. Who do you think we identify
      with? Samwel was an "unemployed volunteer" when we came to know him. I
      know several for whom that expression spoke a lot about his mind, his
      heart, his soul and his circumstance.

      Asif, I think at the heart of this is that you want some kind of
      credit. I understand that feeling. I give you credit for establishing
      Trainerspod and for dedicating your life to staying connected to Kenya
      and not letting Kenyans be abandoned by the rest of the world. Yet you
      seek credit for an idea. An idea is like a seed, it is dead by itself,
      and has trillions of copies that are basically the same, and most of
      them stay dead. The wind scatters them and who is the one who cares to
      count which exactly was the seed that sprouted? Can't all the seeds
      rejoice together? Isn't the glory to the wind that placed them? I know
      the wish for credit, it is perhaps healthy. I asked Rachel, when you
      went to Naivasha with your team and engaged the Mungiki, did anybody
      else help? Who do we share credit with for our victory? We must be
      sure to credit them. And she said there was nobody else. We know who
      did it: her team, the Mungikis, her local contacts in Naivasha, and all
      of us together. And we know it is true because Dennis rode safely to
      Nairobi when just shortly before he had to consider so many costly
      alternative routes. We didn't raise money for a helicopter ride for
      Dennis, and we didn't raise money to save Ron Odhiambo's house. We
      raised money to talk to the Mungikis and share it with them and their
      "invisible folks". And I sent the story to dozens of journalists in the
      world and in Lithuania, and thousands of people, but it didn't get
      picked up.

      I will share my story how our distribution system got started. We got a
      letter from Jackton Arija that his family was without food. And what
      could we do? My mind churned and churned. The logic was pretty simple
      - 1) we were able to send money to Dennis in Nakuru, 2) I think he had
      mentioned that he was sending airtime to others, 3) which reminded me of
      a post back from 2005 by Earl Mardle:
      http://www.kn.com.au/networks/2005/11/time_is_money.html
      "The latest wrinkles come via Andrius Kulikauskas and the folks at
      Cyfranogi We see the emergence of a mobile derived electronic currency
      in Malawi where mobile phones are already must-have devices." Which is
      to say, "emergency community currency" has been on our minds for some
      time at our laboratory's working group Cyfranogi led by John Rogers.
      part of his post-tsunami relief work in Sri Lanka, and Stephen
      DeMeulenaere worked on that as well, and Kevin Parcell has dedicated
      enormous energy to such a concept http://homepage.mac.com/forever.net/
      So it was a natural conclusion 1-2-3 for me to explain to Dennis that
      "hey, Jackton can trade cell phone minutes for food". It's natural but
      as I have found in speaking with Kenyans, it needs to be explained to
      people because most of us, even in Kenya, aren't used to thinking as
      traders. Asif, it's strange for me that you want credit for this idea.
      It's the kind of idea that I was hoping you would lead us with, but I
      had to take the lead myself. So what if you came up with it? Where were you?

      Asif, I spent an hour and a half writing this letter. Is that how you
      want me to spend my time? And many people are spending time reading
      this letter, including people in Kenya. But I hope it gives a glimpse
      of how I think things happen.

      Asif, please give us the best of what you have. Please write about your
      deepest value in life, please write about the quetions you would like to
      find answers to, please write about what you would like to achieve.
      This would give for us a great unity that I know lurks within you and
      that we would benefit from.

      Yesterday I spent all day centered around the chat event which Pamela
      set up. It went very well. Really it happened because of my interest
      to honor your work with Pamela and support that. The Elluminate meeting
      never happened, but we did what we could and it went well. Please
      dedicate yourself to helping me likewise. Or please focus on the heart
      that you have to offer, and cultivating your endeavors from start to
      finish, rather than asking for credit for scattered ideas at a
      laboratory where they are free for the taking, and which aren't exactly
      brilliant, either.

      Asif, please let us know what you would like achieve and how we can help
      you.

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

    • Theresa Bakalarz
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
        Dear All,

        I´m writing very desperate and with tears in my eyes. TOMORROW my flight is going from Vienna (Austria) to Nairobi. After that I have a flight to Kisumu.

        I am going to stay near Bondo like I told you before.

        My problem now is that my parents dont want me to go. I have planned lots of things, was collecting money (also for Tom) and have lots of t-shirts, pencils and everything. (Beside that I am only 20 years old)

        PLEASE! COULD SOMEONE OF YOU WRITE DOWN very clear how situation is in Kisumu, Bondo or Nyang´oma. My parents are fearing that one day Kikuyu are going to attack Nyanza district, and coming to smaller villages. I dont believe in that but my parents are really worrying. THEY ARE WORRYING ABOUT THE FUTURE! WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN TWO WEEKS? ESCALATION? PEACE?
        They think they´re going to loose me.
        I dont know what to tell them anymore. They can just see this horrible things on TV how people run on the streets with machetes and think I am going to stay exactly there.

        Bondo is different. I am just worrying about the future. But I believe that things are becoming better soon.

        BUT NOW I JUST WANT TO COME TO KENYA and I am just desperate because I do this against the will of my whole Family. My sister was asking me, if I am crazy and how I can do this to my parents. That they have to worry a whole month.

        BUT THEY DONT SEE HOW THE SITUATION IS IN BONDO!

        Please! Please help me that my parents cool down. I know it can always happen something! But I am never on the roads, I am taking a flight Nairobi-Kisumu.
        I JUST NEED A COMMENT ABOUT THE SITUATION RIGHT NOW!

        I run out of my energy. I got very weak in the last time.
        I dont know what I shall do now. I´m helpless.

        Yours Theresa
      • Hezekiah Nyaranga
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
          Dear Theresa,
          My name is Hezekiah and I work at Reach-out childrens
          centre just afew kilometers out of town.I stay in
          kisumu town though i comute evryday to the
          community,As concerns to the situation now in
          kisumu,it is so much unpredictable and it would be
          wrong for me to say calm in this case.The situation
          changes ev erday depending on what has happened
          especially in the political line.
          I have friends in America that support my organization
          and they were suppose to be here this friday,one of
          them is already in Uganda now and 3 just arrived in
          south Africa this morning ,it is painful but i had to
          get all of the cancell their trips to kenya because of
          what happened in kisumu yesterday,after the death of
          another Member of parliament in Eldoret.
          I knows Bondo my be calm but i strongly object you
          taking the trip now, i recomend that you delay it even
          fo 2 weeks and study the situation.
          Hezekaih

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
            Dear Theresa, Hezekiah, and Tom,

            Thanks to Hez and Tom for their feedback to you, Theresa, and I think it
            would be best if you would wait too. There have not been wholesale attacks
            on foreigners, but there have been some, so it might be best to wait until
            things calm down.

            In the meantime, you can still do fundraising and friendraising for our
            members in Kisumu--including Tom and Hez--
            as money, supplies, and friends who will be aware and supportive of our
            members and work are invaluable. If you have collected even a small amount
            of funds, you might consider sending it.

            In fact, the funds that would have been spent on a plane ticket--if you
            could consider that--would probably send all of the deaf children Tom is
            caring for back to school. As it is now, a number of them cannot go, and it
            would literally and figuratively mean the world to them.

            Another thing that Tom and I discussed this morning is that you might do
            some research abt orgs (international, national, even local to you, as they
            might like a "buddy" in Kisumu) which could help Deaf Impact Ministry. What
            country are you in?

            For everyone, Hezekiah has long been seeking just $750 to stock a pharmacy
            (already started) which will help a whole community gain access to
            vitally-needed medications. This will also provide him with a livelihood,
            which will help to keep the pharmacy going too. It's a small amount for a
            big return: a sustainable enterprise for sustaining the life and health of
            hundreds of people.

            Thanks much for your note, and please do not be disheartened. You will get
            to Kenya someday soon--hopefully this year--and in the meantime, you can
            still do a world of good, while maintaining your safety and relieving your
            parents' minds. That's called a "win-win-win" solution :)).

            With blessings and all best wishes, Janet

          • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
              Andrius:

              This communication could have been done privately, but you did not want it, and besides I found you speaking ill of me in a section to Janet, I could NOT find that e-mail that it was taken out from, hence, it must have been a private e-mail.

              I have my own business to run and can not do your leadership for you. But when you say that you had to take it on your own since I provided no ideas of worth, that is when one becomes defensive of what they have contributed, and not for credit as you indicate. That must be made very clear. I have dealt with organizations in Kenya and it does not take the amount of money you are spilling in - you have no idea of the cost of living in Kenya.....and what it takes to encourage people to get things done there. So I would stop as soon as possible to compare leadership styles.......yes, you have one, and I have a different perspective. I have and always will credit your organization - that is the people that make up the organization for the fine work they have done. I did not take on this project since I have matters going on from TrainersPod. Hence, I hate being the subject of your e-mail where you describe what a wonderful job you have done but at the expense of cutting me down. If you want to pat yourself on the back - go ahead - but don't try to cut me down in the process. As for not offering Elluminate - it was a matter of the contract being made available - and that is between me and Pamela.

              Asif

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/cyfranogi/ John created a currency as
[...]

              http://www.ms. lt
              ms@...
              +370 699 30003
              Vilnius, Lithuania

              href="http://www.trainerspod.com/CMS">http://www.trainers pod.com/CMS

              href="http://www.trainerspod.com/CMS">http://www.trainers pod.com/CMS <http://www.trainers pod.com/CMS>

              href="http://www.trainerspod.com/community">http://www.trainers pod.com/communit y>

              ------------ --------- --------- --------- -

              ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----

              href="http://www.ms.lt">http://www.ms. lt <http://www.ms. lt>

              href="mailto:ms%40ms.lt">ms@... <mailto:ms%40ms. lt>
              > > +370 699 30003
              > > Vilnius, Lithuania

            • Theresa Bakalarz
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                Dear All,

                first, thank you for your answers and your advices! I have been to Kenya before. In summer I was working at the Nyang´oma (bondo) mission in the Orphanage.
                I have seen many parts of Kenya and I know the people. If I didnt know Kenya, I dont know if I had this big with to come. I am now just thinking about "my kenyan family" in Nyang´oma. The Orphans and my friends who work there in the mission.
                A friend from there said, situation there is fine. Nothing happend in Bondo for a long time. And there were only demonstrations.
                At the moment I dont really know what to do. I have got one month. In one month I have to be back here (Austria) and ready to go back to university! (Studying african science)

                I still cant decide. I dont know. Maybe I am going to decide at the airport if I go or not.

                Thank you all, Theresa
                -------- Original-Nachricht --------

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Dear Asif, Andrius, and All,

                      This email exchange has somewhat "strayed" too--as did the letter Andrius wrote to me--but I regard what is being said here as highly relevant and important, though for a different time, when urgencies have somewhat eased. It may be that a different context would be good too, at least for some of the discussion.

                      Some of the issues being brought up I can relate to myself. We do need to have some discussions about how our mutual work, time, energy, and caring are framed, encouraged, tended, utilized, and acknowledged. Some of the structural issues are crucial to our future as a large and growing entity, one which encompasses both individual focus and group endeavors.

                      As a woman and as a social activist who has long dreamed of and worked in "alternative" settings, I find I am challenged by some of the way our work is framed and structured. There are other concerns and considerations too, and it would be good to air them.

                      In a strange but human way, some of what we are feeling and experiencing is akin to what is happening in Kenya. This is the territory of conflict, which can yield "opportunity" as well as "risk".

                      Thanks very much for the wonderful work everyone is doing, and blessings to you all! Janet

                    • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Janet:

                        You are right. This should be aired after the conflict. I was just angered by the statement that cut me down and had to respond. It was part of a long e-mail buried within. Anyways - there is always tension when a large group works and people are doing their best to assist and it's all going so fast that it gets lost in the noise. We have been having an extra huge amount of e-mail to contend with and there is a lot going on - all for the betterment of Kenya and it's people. This organization has done a lot of good for Kenyans.....and I am moved by that.
                        We at TrainersPod are doing other projects in Kenya and they involve using local NGOs and Churches etc. e.g We provide them with the latest news so that they are aware where they need to go to get people that are needy and using my connections at Hospitals and Pharmacies to get them the right help. So our focus is very different. It was like when I sent connections of a Hospital and a Pharmacy that Sam could get to.....although he choose a different route. That's what TrainersPod is involved in.

                        Asif

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Asif, Janet,
                          Thank you for your letters.
                          I look forward to reflecting and ongoing learning how to work together
                          and organize a shared culture.
                          Andrius