Markus is hitchhiking for Millenium Goals

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      Markus Petz is very active at our Global Villages group
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Markus_Petz
      and this summer he and I made a road trip in the UK to meet independent
      thinker (he knows many!)

      Now he will be traveling with a large group of hitchhikers from Riga,
      Latvia to Strasbourg, France to highlight the United Nations Millenium
      Goals http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/
      by 2015:
      1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
      2. Achieve universal primary education
      3. Promote gender equality and empower women
      4. Reduce child mortality
      5. Improve maternal health
      6. Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
      7. Ensure environmental sustainability
      8. Develop a global partnership for development

      August 24th they will be in Kaunas, Lithuania. I have alerted our group
      here. I look forward to meeting Markus and all the travelers! Perhaps
      more of us can meet them along the way, see
      http://www.eurizons.net/about.html

      Also, I will be writing about BarCampLithuania which I am organizing on
      August 25-27 in Vilnius at our lab's headquarters in the Folk Creativity
      Club "Atzalynas". Markus, you're very welcome to stay with us if you
      can. This will be part of BarCampEarth which Chris Messina is helping
      organize.
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Factory_Joe
      I encourage more of our "hotspots" to organize such BarCamps or attend
      ones at existing locations, see: http://barcamp.org/

      Also, as Markus writes below, GLEN-Europe (Global Education Network of
      Young Europeans) http://www.glen-europe.org is active in pairing up
      people from different countries and sending them to work together for
      three months in the South. This is very much an idea that Joy Tang of
      http://www.onevillagefoundation.org has talked about, and perhaps it
      might be possible to work with this existing program in ways that would
      build the One Village vision?

      Markus, best wishes in your travels! and please sign up people for our
      groups who are interested!

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius

      The UN MDGs Campaign: 2015 - YOUR ACTION MATTERS!

      No doubt you have heard of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs for
      short). Even if its only in connection with make Poverty History.
      Perhaps you recall the big rock concerts that happened in Summer 2005
      around the G8 in Scotland? Or maybe you have a white wrist band as part
      of the ONE campaign. But what next?

      By Markus Petz, PNYV! UK

      There are 8 MDGs based on the Millennium Declaration. The Co-ordinator
      of the United Nations MDG Campaign told PNYV that you "should get the
      facts and .... help get the word out about the Goals." A group of 50
      young Europeans is doing just that and then some. They are awareness
      raising by hitch-hiking on The European Tour for Global Responsibility.
      This tour is called eurizons and is being run by the GLEN Network.

      Furthermore eurizons is also partnering with MEPs to let the EUropean
      Parliament know we want the MDGs achieved. Awareness raising en tour is
      only the beginning. How-to knowledge is needed for people to be
      responsible global Citizens. Goal 8 of the MDGs is to develop a global
      partnership for development.

      The main target of eurizons is to re-enforce such international
      solidarity. During the Tour Activities will inform people about the MDGs
      and lobby decision makers. The EURIZONS project will show European civil
      society has a responsibility to deal with global problems. It will
      provide concrete ideas on how individuals can take practical action to
      do this. The core message is:
      6 billion people - 1 world - 8 goals YOUR ACTION MATTERS!

      You can take part in eurizons both during and afterward. As an armchair
      participant you can follow what's going on through a Hitch-hikers blog,
      the eurizons interactive website and reportages in the media.

      eurizons runs through Riga, Kaunas, Krakow, Olomouc, Bratislava, Sopron,
      Munich and Strasbourg. If you are in one of the tour areas you can come
      along and meet us, give us a hitch or connect up with the local GLEN
      partner. We will be having 8 cultural, political and social events along
      the way, with debates, concerts, films, street performances, flash
      mobs........

      During the tour we will be writing an Open Letter to the European
      Parliament, please give your suggestions and thoughts to the
      hitch-hikers, so that we can include them in the letter! A bit will be
      added in each city en route. eurizons wants to include a South
      perspective in the whole project so wherever you are, if you have
      something to say, we want to hear it!

      On the road trip the hitch-hikers will be in bi-national pairs and will
      give out free information about the MDGs to those they meet. With this
      will be things you can actually do to make a difference. It will be
      things like; places to buy fair trade food - to help the developing
      world; tips for empowering women - such as cooking a meal for your
      girlfriend/wife once a week so she has time to get involved in community
      work or people to get in touch with in the developing world - so you can
      become involved in their lives on a personal level, thus making a real
      global partnership. All these tips will appear on the eurizons website.

      Lastly why not connect with us afterward? Get one of the hitch-hikers to
      come talk at your school, community hall or group. Organize your own
      tour - We are there to help you! YES I am one of the HITCH-HIKERS! And
      if you want to do development work then get in touch with GLEN.

      GLEN is a European network that links young activists in global
      education and qualifies them in their work as multipliers. It is a
      non-profit, that contributes to a better understanding of global
      development in Europe. Young Europeans work together in bi-national
      tandems or international teams for three months in countries of the
      Southern Hemisphere, e.g.: India, Uganda, Namibia and South Africa.
      Before sharing what they learnt back in Europe.
      Links:
      http://www.eurizons.net/

      http://www.glen-europe.org/index.php?lnk=2

      http://www.asa-programm.de/en/aboutasa/partners.html

      More articles in this category:

      http://www.pnyv.org/index.php?id=34&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=22&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=8&cHash=2e62dacb83

      http://www.pnyv.org/index.php?id=34&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=187&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=41&cHash=3e027a38fb

      The event in Kaunas, Lithuania
      From GLENwiki
      Jump to: navigation, search

      24/25 August 2006
      Contents
      [hide]

      * 1 Schedule of our stay in Kaunas
      * 2 Draft programme of the evening event
      * 3 Organisational tasks for Kolping & volunteers in Kaunas
      * 4 Suggestions and ideas
      * 5 Contact

      [edit]
      Schedule of our stay in Kaunas

      * Arrival of the hitch-hikers from Riga on August 24 between 16.00 and 20.00
      * Having a supper that can be provided flexibly to the arriving
      hitch-hikers between 18.00 and 19.30 would be ideal.
      * The programme of the evening event (20.00-22.00) will be organised by
      the Eurizons team
      * Departure after breakfast on August 29 – towards Warsaw...

      [edit]
      Draft programme of the evening event

      The event language will be English...

      Before and after the “formal” part of the programme, the hitch-hikers
      might carry out some actions (drumming or theatre or talking to people
      on the street...)

      1. Welcome by the local team

      * It would be nice if someone from your team could welcome the
      hitch-hikers on behalf of Kolping, Kaunas and Lithuania...

      2. Presentation of Eurizons (20')

      * About MDGs (by the central co-ordination team and some of the the
      hitch-hikers)
      * About the project (by the central co-ordination team and some of the
      the hitch-hikers)
      * Stories from the first tour day (by the hitch-hikers), evaluation of
      the competition

      3. Specific contribution by Kolping & volunteers? (0-30')

      * If you would like to make an own contribution to the programme, you
      are warmly invited to do so. This could be (examples)
      * To say a few words about the meaning of development policy or of
      development education or of the MDGs or of GLEN in and for Lithuania and/or
      * To make some topical presentation (speech, pictures, film – whatever)
      about a development related issue or about a GLEN project, if possible
      put it into an MDG context

      You do not have to make such a contribution, but please feel welcome to
      do so.

      4. Open letter to the European Parliament (60')

      * Presentation of the idea and of the current draft of the Open Letter,
      a letter from the European civil society to the European Parliament
      which we will elaborate throughout Eurizons and present to MEPs in
      Strasbourg at the final Eurizons event (Open Letter Drafting Committee) (5')
      * Discussion on the draft in spontaneously created working groups on the
      market square (involving both, the hitch-hikers and people from Kaunas).
      Each working group comes up with recommendations for the modification of
      the draft letter based on (a) experiences from the hitch-hikers' last
      tour day, (b) points of view of local activists from Lithuania (45')
      * Presentation of these recommendations in the "plenum” of the market
      square (workshop groups & Drafting Committee) (10')
      * (Later on the Drafting Committee incorporates the new recommendations
      in the draft until the next event starts.)

      5. Closing words by the Eurizons team, music

      Informal exchange on the market square till 22.00

      [edit]
      Organisational tasks for Kolping & volunteers in Kaunas

      * Get permission to use the market square in the old town
      * Provide a space and equipment which is suitable for talking to and
      with the public (a little stage? Microphone, loud-speakers, possibility
      to play music)
      * Produce banners with the Eurizons Slogan ("Eurizons – The European
      Tour for Global Responsibility *** 6 Billion People, 1 World, 8 Goals –
      Your Action Matters!”) fixed somewhere visibly in the trees (or
      anywhere) at the market square
      * Inform NGOs, university, any groups that could be interested... (and
      perhaps also decision-makers, MFA) about the event, invite people,
      possibly media
      * Provide an accommodation space for 50 people (2 showers somewhere in
      the buidling or near by would be great!)
      * Dinner and Breakfast for 50 people

      [edit]
      Suggestions and ideas

      * Markus (from the German team) suggests to invite Andrius Kulikauskas,
      organisation Minicui Sodas, http://www.ms.lt/ and
      http://www.openleader.info/wiki.cgi?OpenLeader/MinciuSodas/AndriusKulikauskas

      [edit]
      Contact

      The contact person in Lithuania is Olga from the Lithuanian Kolping
      society (jaunimas@...).
      Retrieved from
      "http://www.glen-europe.org/wiki/index.php/The_event_in_Kaunas%2C_Lithuania"

      * Article
      * Discussion
      * Edit
      * History

      Personal tools

      * 62.253.96.44
      * Talk for this IP
      * Log in / create account

      Navigation

      * Main Page
      * Recent changes
      * Help

      pages

      * GLEN 2006
      * eurizons

      Toolbox

      * What links here
      * Related changes
      * Upload file
      * Special pages
      * Printable version
      * Permanent link

      MediaWiki

      * This page was last modified 17:50, 25 July 2006.
      * This page has been accessed 53 times.
      * Privacy policy
      * About GLENwiki
      * Disclaimers