Re: [holistichelping] How to make social housing livable

  • Jeff Buderer
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2006
      Masimba,

      Thought the links below might be of interest to you:

      Changemakers.org is now accepting applications for a contest on low cost
      housing http://www.changemakers.net/journal/300606/

      Paul Cohen <http://www.ashoka.org/fellows/viewprofile3.cfm?reid=97498>
      an Ashoka fellow has been pioneering low cost building technologies in
      South Africa.

      Keep in touch.

      Jeff Buderer
      oneVillage Foundation

      > Dear Andrius,
      >
      > In reference to the discussion below, I just want to
      > find out whwther Nikos Salingaros will be interested
      > in doing some write up on Zimbabwe.
      >
      > We have interesting (weell sad) developments over the
      > past two years with regards housing for the poor.
      >
      > Government, last year, demolished all the shanties in
      > the urban areas of Zimbabwe, leaving over 700,000
      > people homeless. The argument of government was that
      > it wanted to make housing livable for the poor.
      >
      > Now, they are in the process of constructing low-cost
      > housing for the poor.
      >
      > The level of the destruction of shanties is
      > incidentally the biggest in the world.
      >
      > If Nikos is interested on more information, I need to
      > know what exactly he is looking for, otherwise
      > Zimbabwe makes an interesting case in this respect.
      >
      > Thank You
      >
      > God Bless
      >
      > Masimba Biriwasha
      >
      > > Andrius: Another topic to work on is helping Nikos
      > Salingaros,> he is writing a paper on how to make
      > social housing livable.
      > >
      > > Samwel: i had such information in my interview
      > >
      > > Andrius: Yes, very good. :: Do you have housing for
      > the
      > > poor in Kenya?
      > >
      > > Samwel: Ihave seen such
      > >
      > > Andrius: One thing to study is how poor people live
      > in slums
      > > and in state housing.
      >
      > I have a strong feeling that every person owes it to him/herself, and
      to the cause which he is serving to keep their body strong and healthy,
      for better or worse, for disappointments and for trying positions.