Re: [holistichelping] Naomi Jeruto encourages us

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2008
      Dear Andrius, Naomi, and All,

      My big apologies for not seeing this mail sooner (the trees for the forest
      in this case :)! I am delighted that Naomi is or might be among us. I am
      especially thrilled and honored that you hope to join us, given your deep
      commitment to women and youth, health and development, creativity,
      education, and caring! I have often heard of the prize for Women's
      Creativity in Rural Life, and hoped to meet someone who had received such
      recognition for their work.

      We have some other amazing women among us, including Maria Agnese Giraudo
      (librarian, Italy), Pam McLean and Lorraine Duff (CAWD, UK), Joy Tang
      (oneVillage Foundation, USA), Rachel Wambui Kung'u (Voluntary Youth
      Philanthropist and Peace Camel Caravan, Kenya), and Wendi Losha Bernadette
      (Actwid Kongadzem, Cameroon).

      Wendi and her group of 4000 women in rural Cameroon are among some of the
      most creative people I know! Not only do they make arts and address
      healthcare and development needs in a highly resource-constrained
      environment, but they have pioneered the growing and use of artemisia to
      counter the effects of malaria and HIV/AIDS, using their creativity to
      address the lack of standard medicines in the areas in which they live.

      Your focus on women brings up a very salient if heartbreaking point: in
      Kenya now, women and girls are being raped at alarming rates, and are thus
      more susceptible to HIV/AIDS and STIs. I will be introducing some women in
      the next few days who are working on this subject, and will be doing
      outreach to more. Would this be something that would interest you?

      Your organizing experience with various groups of people will be so
      valuable. I see that this includes "self-help" and income generation for
      women and youth. Since lack of opportunity is cited as contributing to the
      violence in Kenya, to have insights into how to create and/or encourage and
      support that will be superb!

      Andrius, it is so kind of you to suggest nominating and voting for your fave
      Yahoogroup, with mention of HH in the same sentence, haha! This is very
      exciting, and hope that people will nominate whoever or whichever group you
      find valuable and important. If that is an MS-linked group, it will benefit
      all of us!

      With greatest thanks and creative kudos, Janet