A bird flu project by Samwel for Lucas

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2006
      Samwel,

      I spoke today with Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz. He's excited that you
      help him with an investigation. He agrees to send you 100 USD at the
      start of work. If you agree, then this would be work for the months of
      August and September. We need to discuss the details.

      Lucas's investigatory question is: How can the people in Samwel's area
      best strengthen themselves in preparation of a possible bird flu pandemic?

      Lucas understands that you are already dealing with bigger challenges:
      HIV/AIDS, Malaria and more. However, a bird flu pandemic, one that
      spreads from people to people, would make things even worse. As you
      know, Lucas is a public health administrator and medical doctor who is
      expert on the bird flu pandemic and is passionate to help. We want to
      find ways to help people in your area prepare for a possible bird flu
      pandemic but also address the existing challenges.

      Lucas's hypothesis is that we should know who the key individuals are
      whose illness would cause great disruption (for example, regarding
      water, food, health, energy, travel, safety, economy, etc.). So we
      would like you to find 4 key people and talk to them about the bird
      flu. Ask them what do they know about the bird flu, and educate them
      about the facts. Ask them what they would do if there was a bird flu.
      Would they leave? If they got sick, who could replace them? What are
      their plans in the event of any kind of emergency? Write up their
      answers and get their permission to share with us online.

      Also, my hypothesis is that in the event of a crisis it is important to
      know and encourage individuals who are willing and able to volunteer as
      leaders to help wherever needed. We would like you to find 8 people who
      would be willing to help as volunteers in the event of a bird flu
      pandemic. Educate them about the bird flu. And then discuss with each
      how they imagine that they might best be able to help. Also, ask them
      what are the most important things that people locally and globally
      could do regarding existing challenges in the area, such as HIV/AIDS.
      Write up their answers and get their permission to share with us
      online. Also, it is always helpful to note their "key concepts" in life.

      Samwel, what do you think? Would this be meaningful? How could we
      improve such a project?

      Please note that you do not need to be online very often to do this
      project. Once a week would be fine. Also, Lucas will be away for most
      of the month of August.

      My thought is that this would strengthen your existing community. The 8
      volunteers you identify are people who we can very likely work with on
      existing problems. Also, I think that in the future we might help you
      prepare further by making sure that each of them is well educated and
      has the proper equipment that they might need such as masks, etc. You
      might all meet in the future. They are people who it makes sense for us
      to invest ourselves in. They are "working for free" by talking with you
      and by risking their lives to help others.

      Samwel, do you have Masimba Biriwasha's phone number in Zimbabwe?
      Please send it to me if you do.

      Also, I want to mention that I think that another possible project for
      the future is that you do a small experiment of Professor Chan's
      Integrated Farming and Waste Management System. Perhaps Jeff Buderer
      could work with you as an investigator on this. We might be able to
      find someone who would fund our work on a very small pilot project for
      you to understand, test and showcase the technology. I suggest we write
      up a small budget for that, including your travel to visit Dr.Chan in
      September, the technology, your work, Jeff's work and perhaps even my
      work.

      My general feeling is that with your continued good work as an
      "independent thinker" we might be able to do in your area a whole series
      of small experiments that our lab members are interested in. It's
      important that the experiments be as small as possible, but also that
      they have some positive impact locally. This is because we want to make
      the most out of our few resources. In this way you are helping us
      greatly as you know.

      Samwel, thank you for your excellent letters.

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • lgs0a
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2006
        Andrius, thanks for shaping this so well - I really only had the vague
        feeling that I'd like to "be there" in order to understand what
        direction to take in order to improve things. I daydreamed of someone
        in Kenya carrying a "webcam on a helmet" just like motorbike champions
        do. :)

        Seriously now, I may add that it might be useful to see who Samwel's
        contacts are in turn in communication with - i.e. if they work with 5
        mothers or 200 youngsters or what.

        Please tell me about Samwel's decision, and if positive, then about
        the "money details" in time, as I'll probably leave by the first days
        in August, and I'll be a bit busy before that so I need some time (not
        much, but some).

        Lucas

        --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...>