Re: [holistichelping] Samwel's map of Internet access points in Rusinga Island

  • ACTWID KONGADZEM
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2006
      Dear Franz and Andrius,
      We are happy to read the information about the Linux
      internet access pointing to Rusinga Island. Could it
      not point to Cameroon too? We pray that someday
      somehow this dream can also reach us here in Cameroon
      because, since the year 2000 , this has been our
      dream to have an internat access pointing to Cameroon.
      What do you think about that Andrius and Franz?
      Immense thanks for listening.
      Sincerely ACTWID KONGADZEM members led by Wendi and
      Njua.

      --- Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada@...> wrote:

      > Andrius writes:
      > >I think Linux on your laptop is an excellent idea.
      > I have Linux on my
      > >laptop. However, be prepared for complications with
      > the video card or
      > >sound card. If things don't work for your laptops
      > components, you may
      > >have to use Windows.
      >
      > I just mention that we need to have a list of "linux
      > compatible laptops".
      >
      > We did lot of research here and worked with several
      > models, until we
      > picked a Lenovo (earlier IBM ThinkPad) that is
      > compatible with Linux
      > 100%). We will buy now 9 of those for our "learning
      > café" in Vienna - to
      > be more precise there is an adult eduction
      > institution that cooperates
      > with us who will buy it.
      >
      > Having such a pattern spread widely will be helpful.
      >
      > Franz

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • lgs0a
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2006
        --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, "Franz Nahrada"
        <f.nahrada@...> wrote:
        > I just mention that we need to have a list of "linux compatible
        laptops".

        I guess you've searched google for "linux laptop" and found this (just
        in the first page of the search):

        * http://www.linux-laptop.net/
        * http://www.tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
        * http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html
        * http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
        * http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html
        * http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

        We might add our own first-hand experiences if we wish.

        Things will change in time, with newer linux distributions ("distros")
        becoming more and more compatible with existing hardware - in general.

        I know this doesn't add much, except my saying that I too find this
        interesting.

        Lucas
      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2006
          Lucas,

          Is there a webpage on the wiki to document this information?

          I think that would be really helpful to use as a guide for this proposed
          project as well as other ones.

          Jeff

        • lucas.gonzalez@canarias.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2006
            Jeff,

            Yes - we need to become good wiki-gardners. I hope I'll be able to learn more about how ProWiki works, and also what Andrius et al are doing (at first I felt I was dancing on shaky ground, and I don't know if things are better now).

            In very practical terms, I guess the Mbitan project (and in time what Andrius is suggesting for Kirchback) will be the oportunity to iron out the how-to to create the apropriate wiki-pages. We need to have a project, create pages under that project, and link within and across projects. The specifics of that escape me, but maybe Andrius and of course Helmut can give us a handful of already working pages so that "how links work" is aparent and replicable by us? I think this would be most helpful!

            I won't be available in August, but I'd love to do just that. So I'll do some thinking and maybe write some by email - hoping that that will be useful, which I don't see as likely. :-/ (Or I'll magically have a couple of hours before I go.)