Re: [globalvillages] add tilapia to the mix

  • Jeff Buderer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2006
      Lucas Everyone

      Please note that I have approached Samwel about meeting with Prof Chan
      when he goes to Kenya for the upcoming YES Conference in Sept.

      Others have also expressed interest in meeting with Prof Chan.

      I suggest we lay the ground work for this meeting here for this meeting.
      I would like to offer Samwel the option of putting together a plan for
      building the IFWMS. The IFWMS could be a model of bird flu preventation
      strategies being put into practice as a best practice in poutry growing
      in developing countries (unless of course we are striken by bird flu
      before then).

      My concern though is that we are trying to do too many things at once.

      So therefore I would suggest we keep the focus on the ICT center and
      plan on the IFWMS in 1-2 years from now.

      Maybe certain people could volunteer to focus on certain tasks towards
      implementation of GV approach in Rusinga I.

      I think at this point an overall strategy needs to be put together that
      pulls all the peices together into one seemless and systematic whole and
      threads that with the larger development plan for GV.

      Jeff

      .

      lucas.gonzalez@... wrote:

      > I've added this to Rusinga Island's wikipage at
      > http://www.globalvillages.info/wiki.cgi?GlobalVillages/RusingaIsland
      > <http://www.globalvillages.info/wiki.cgi?GlobalVillages/RusingaIsland>
      >
      > I found it when looking at the beautiful images from Rusinga Island
      > (as linked to using google-images). I tried "Mbita" instead of
      > "Rusinga Island" and found this:
      >
      > http://www.fao.org/docrep/008/v4050b/V4050B07.htm
      > <http://www.fao.org/docrep/008/v4050b/V4050B07.htm> gives information
      > about tilapia (a kind of edible fish) as something that's already
      > being done in Kenya. Tilapia has been used by Prof George Chan as part
      > of the Integrated Farming and Waste Management System. See also
      > http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DreamFarm.php
      > <http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DreamFarm.php> So if already existing
      > practices can be put together, complemented and so on, then things
      > might really run faster, no? -- LucasGonzalez

    • lgs0a
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2006
        > Please note that I have approached Samwel about meeting with Prof Chan
        > My concern though is that we are trying to do too many things at once.
        >
        > So therefore I would suggest we keep the focus on the ICT center and
        > plan on the IFWMS in 1-2 years from now.

        Or maybe Samwel can (easily?) find someone who would focus on IFWMS?

        The pattern looks like a piece of wood with several nails, and
        colorful threads running from nail to nail (same color joins several
        nails in a network coded by that color). So each of us (a different
        nail, more or less rusty and tall) goes straight into the piece of
        wood (full strength in whatever we're doing at the time), and we also
        connect to others (alerting them to bird flu or inviting them to meet
        Prof Chan, etc).

        So Samwel focuses on ICT (connections), his friend(s) focus on IFWMS
        (content). And of course I'd be glad to watch it from a panflu point
        of view. This is one piece of the answer to my nagging question "What
        if we have 3 years?".

        Thanks, Jeff and all.

        Lucas
      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2006
          Lucas,

          It is that if you decide to do several things and incorporate them into
          one project then a strategy is needed for that and a thorough discussion
          to consider each of them in relation to the whole. Someone or a
          committee of people should also make a decision in terms of what to
          include and how to proceed.

          We also need a project manager, and also a page managed by the project
          manager that lists the various components of the project and how and why
          they are to be linked together.

          Then each component will have a link to another page explaining that
          components role in the larger plan including the strategy as well as the
          tasks that need to be completed.

          Jeff