Samwel's map of Internet access points in Rusinga Island

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
      Samwel,

      Thank you very much for your letter which I share. And for your map
      which I have posted:
      http://www.globalvillages.info/wiki.cgi?GlobalVillages/RusingaIsland/Maps

      Your map is very helpful and attractive, too. Now it would be good to
      add information about where people live. Where do you live? Where do the
      people live who you wrote us about? We need to organize the information
      that you collected earlier. Perhaps George here can help me. Let's think
      about that. What are the costs for using the Internet at the different
      locations?

      I am very happy with your work. I am especially happy that you are
      growing as a writer and you are direct and honest with us. You are
      helping us be alive, sensitive, responsive in our hearts.

      Let's think about future projects. I think many of us might have ideas.
      Clearly your work is very stimulating for our community. Jeff wrote
      about the need for taking action on the ground. Currently, we have a few
      areas where we are strong:
      * Rusinga Island - thanks to you! Global village ideas and technologies
      may save lives here! We can focus on simple projects that our members
      might fund. Keep thinking, what could we achieve with you for $100?
      * Lithuanian countryside - I live here and I am working on our network
      in the villages. This is a place where we can experiment with
      technologies that might make for a wholesome life but don't target the
      highest standard of living.
      * Vienna, Kirchbach and elsewhere in Austria - thanks to Franz Naradha -
      this is where we can focus on the technologies that build on the highest
      quality infrastructure.
      Where else might we focus?

      Samwel, I don't have income now. I will try to organize another payment
      for you of $100 on September 1st. I don't know yet if I will be able to.
      Let's think first, though, what work you might do. Also, I don't think
      we should send money for the ProWiki translation. That is work that you
      agreed to do and I have already sent you money. Think of a solution.
      Perhaps you can look at other wikis and software. Do as much as you can
      yourself first.

      Samwel, different people have different expectations. When I send you
      money, my expectation is that you will use the money for your self and
      your family so that you are provided for and you have time to invest in
      the future. If you are working as an independent thinker, developing
      your thoughts about what you care about, such as "motivation through
      sacrifice", then we are "working in parallel" and so I don't need to
      worry about you. Your writing is very good. But I am concerned that you
      pay so much for Internet access. Perhaps we can do more with less? Of
      course, we can also think of more possibilities.

      I think that you have other work and so I don't have to worry too much
      about your situation. For us it is best to move slowly and steadily.
      Look at how much we have accomplished in one year! We're thinkers so
      let's keep our minds working and feeling our hearts, what is most
      important to us.

      Samwel, I think that the best projects for us in Rusinga Island are
      small projects where one of our participants can say, "I worked with
      Samwel on a project and for $100 I was able to try out an idea of mine
      and it made a difference!" These should be very simple projects that do
      not cost much money so that most of the money (at least $50) can go to
      you and your family.

      I think Linux on your laptop is an excellent idea. I have Linux on my
      laptop. However, be prepared for complications with the video card or
      sound card. If things don't work for your laptops components, you may
      have to use Windows.

      Samwel, excellent work! but please see what you can do for Helmut!

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Dear Andrius,

      I am very much thankful and would want to thank you hundred times for
      the links you have given me, these are hints for development and would
      say that I was suffering in making ends meet, while thinking alone and
      this is why I did the think aloud.
      I have drawn the physical area of our area and would wish to send it now
      to you and you can post it in my Rusinga page, Although Ken is giving
      assistance I still hope there is a lot to be done for this community in
      terms of connecting it to the other parts of the world through the
      internet and through connections and with you on the bench of our
      support, we still think we will honor you one day to commemorate the
      foundation we are building together.
      I am thankful to Maria Agnese’s generosity to support me have the
      laptop, this is going to be my first time to have a personal computer
      for the work I ‘m doing here….and I am going to install Linux into it
      and this will form the first Linux solution for this community because
      Ken is not using Linux, What do you think? ,
      As the Map is coming your way, I would say that the translation is going
      on and I would finish them as soon as the consultation is over and this
      will be in the last week of August, Can I get some money for those
      helping me translate because I am not a linguist?, the amount you sent
      me is over and you know, Helmut is happy with the trial copy I sent both
      of you. I just hope to get connected most of the times, and Ken is
      Charging me Us $ 50.00 per month for the internet support per month and
      getting this per month will make our research work possible without any
      interruption because the Laptop would have substituted our efforts, I
      can work and only go to the internet to send the findings using CDs and
      Disks.
      I am going offline for week as from 23^rd to 30^th July and come for
      time to meet Maria Agnese. If you have any comments to this mail you can
      get it across before 23rd and get the Map attached for the internet Sign
      spots and for Video Bridging.
      Thanks,
      Samwel

      MBITA 040305-KENYA.
      Cell: +254 725 600 439
      Computer specielist
      Community Development
      UDOGO youth development group-coordinator
    • Derick Odemba
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
        Hi Samuel,

        I am impressed at the work you are doing in trying to
        diminish poverty and disdavantage. Please keep it up.
        Thumbs up to Andrius, Lucas and all the others in the
        network.This is a true testimony of what unity of
        committed global citizens can achieve.You deserve a
        pat on the back guys.

        See you soon Sam and Ken. I will be there by end of
        this month.

        Cheers to you all

        Derick

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/ok9qlB/TM

        http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/TheResourceToolshed/HolisticHelping

        > Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the
        > Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN
        > unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you!
        > http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Franz Nahrada
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
          Andrius writes:
          >I think Linux on your laptop is an excellent idea. I have Linux on my
          >laptop. However, be prepared for complications with the video card or
          >sound card. If things don't work for your laptops components, you may
          >have to use Windows.

          I just mention that we need to have a list of "linux compatible laptops".

          We did lot of research here and worked with several models, until we
          picked a Lenovo (earlier IBM ThinkPad) that is compatible with Linux
          100%). We will buy now 9 of those for our "learning café" in Vienna - to
          be more precise there is an adult eduction institution that cooperates
          with us who will buy it.

          Having such a pattern spread widely will be helpful.

          Franz
        • ACTWID KONGADZEM
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2006
            Dear Franz and Andrius,
            We are happy to read the information about the Linux
            internet access pointing to Rusinga Island. Could it
            not point to Cameroon too? We pray that someday
            somehow this dream can also reach us here in Cameroon
            because, since the year 2000 , this has been our
            dream to have an internat access pointing to Cameroon.
            What do you think about that Andrius and Franz?
            Immense thanks for listening.
            Sincerely ACTWID KONGADZEM members led by Wendi and
            Njua.

            --- Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada@...> wrote:

            > Andrius writes:
            > >I think Linux on your laptop is an excellent idea.
            > I have Linux on my
            > >laptop. However, be prepared for complications with
            > the video card or
            > >sound card. If things don't work for your laptops
            > components, you may
            > >have to use Windows.
            >
            > I just mention that we need to have a list of "linux
            > compatible laptops".
            >
            > We did lot of research here and worked with several
            > models, until we
            > picked a Lenovo (earlier IBM ThinkPad) that is
            > compatible with Linux
            > 100%). We will buy now 9 of those for our "learning
            > café" in Vienna - to
            > be more precise there is an adult eduction
            > institution that cooperates
            > with us who will buy it.
            >
            > Having such a pattern spread widely will be helpful.
            >
            > Franz

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • lgs0a
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22, 2006
              --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, "Franz Nahrada"
              <f.nahrada@...> wrote:
              > I just mention that we need to have a list of "linux compatible
              laptops".

              I guess you've searched google for "linux laptop" and found this (just
              in the first page of the search):

              * http://www.linux-laptop.net/
              * http://www.tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
              * http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html
              * http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
              * http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html
              * http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

              We might add our own first-hand experiences if we wish.

              Things will change in time, with newer linux distributions ("distros")
              becoming more and more compatible with existing hardware - in general.

              I know this doesn't add much, except my saying that I too find this
              interesting.

              Lucas
            • Jeff Buderer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25, 2006
                Lucas,

                Is there a webpage on the wiki to document this information?

                I think that would be really helpful to use as a guide for this proposed
                project as well as other ones.

                Jeff

              • lucas.gonzalez@canarias.org
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 25, 2006
                  Jeff,

                  Yes - we need to become good wiki-gardners. I hope I'll be able to learn more about how ProWiki works, and also what Andrius et al are doing (at first I felt I was dancing on shaky ground, and I don't know if things are better now).

                  In very practical terms, I guess the Mbitan project (and in time what Andrius is suggesting for Kirchback) will be the oportunity to iron out the how-to to create the apropriate wiki-pages. We need to have a project, create pages under that project, and link within and across projects. The specifics of that escape me, but maybe Andrius and of course Helmut can give us a handful of already working pages so that "how links work" is aparent and replicable by us? I think this would be most helpful!

                  I won't be available in August, but I'd love to do just that. So I'll do some thinking and maybe write some by email - hoping that that will be useful, which I don't see as likely. :-/ (Or I'll magically have a couple of hours before I go.)