Re: Fwd:[hif-net] Internet access and ICT training for health workers in sub-Saharan Africa - a questionnaire

  • Maria Agnese Giraudo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
      Dear Ken, Samuel and all,
      I'm grateful if you provide me with information regarding my  trip of the 7th August to Mbita. I'll stop in Moshi where I'll meet some friends. So, please could you tell me  how can I reach Mbita from Moshi?
      I collected information on books and free sources but until now i couldn't  put into wikipage. At present I would like to inform you that this discussion group about  information on health around the world is really great!
      http://www.dgroups.org/groups/HIF-net/
      I'm very happy to come to visit you in Mbita.
       I asked for a laptop for  Samuel but I couldn't find one until now.
      All the best!
      Maria Agnese Giraudo

      Dear colleagues,

      We have developed a brief questionnaire about Internet access and
      ICT training for health workers in sub-Saharan Africa and would
      like you to complete this survey. The results will be presented
      at the 10th AHILA Congress, Mombassa, Kenya in October 2006.

      The objective of this study is to appraise the level of Internet
      access to information and technical ability of health workers in
      sub-Saharan Africa who participate in three email discussion
      groups - AHILA-NET, HIF-NET and AFRO-NET. The research will
      answer three major questions: Do the respondents have sufficient
      access to the Internet-based information, what trainings have
      they received and what further training is needed?

      The data gathering is geared towards individuals that have some
      level of Internet access and, regarding this specific group, will
      measure the impact of this type of health information and assess
      the level of ICT training. The data will be useful for
      understanding the current impact of the Internet and
      training/capacity building for the dissemination of health
      information in sub-Saharan Africa.

      We ask that you kindly complete the enclosed questionnaire by 1
      August. Please return your responses to rhinel@... and
      agajuwon@.... The completion of the 20+ questions should
      take approximately 10-15 minutes. Please excuse us for any cross
      posting.

      Yours truly,

      Grace Ajuwon MLS, Reference and Information Services Librarian,
      E. Latunde Odeku Medical Library, College of Medicine,
      University of Ibadan, Nigeria

      Lenny Rhine, Ph.D. Emeritus University Librarian, University of
      Florida

      Name (optional): __________________________________

      Position (optional): ________________________________

      Institution (optional): ______________________________

      Section 1: Internet Access

      1. At work, do you have access to the Internet?
      a. yes___ no___
      (If yes, continue with questions #2-4; if no, go to question #5)

      2. Is the Internet access via:
      a. phone line/modem ___
      b. dedicated link within the organization to an Internet Service
      Provider ___
      c. internal link within the organization to a server with
      satellite access ___
      d. direct link to a server with satellite access ___
      e. network link via a consortia ___
      f. other (please specify) _____________________________________
      g. don?t know ___

      3. Describe the reliability of your Internet access at work:
      a. very good ___
      b. good ___
      c. average ___
      d. poor ___
      e. very poor ___

      4. Describe the Internet speed at your institution/organization:
      a. very good ___
      b. good ___
      c. average ___
      d. poor ___
      e. very poor ___

      5. What are your uses of the Internet (check one or more):
      a. email ? work related ___
      b. email ? personal ___
      c. searching for information ? work related ___
      d. searching for information ? personal ___
      e. reading fulltext documents ? work related ___
      f. reading fulltext documents ? personal ___
      g. other (please specify) _________________________

      6. Pertaining to health information, have you used the following
      resources?
      a. PubMed/Medline never ___ sometimes ___ often ___
      b. Google (for searching) never ___ sometimes ___ often ___
      c. other search engines never ___ sometimes ___ often ___
      Please specify: ____________________________________
      d. HINARI never ___ sometimes ___ often ___
      e. other fulltext journal sources (PERI) never ___ sometimes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
        Dear Maria,

        I am happy read that from you, as you say thoughts are the things the heart need and would like to see happen. We are  very happy of your visit to Mbita and we are eagerly waiting for you on 7th August.

        Reaching Kenya's capital Nairobi from Moshi can be through Road or by Akamba Bus service or through Arusha by Air to Nairobi. While In Nairobi you can Move on By road through Akamba bus still or By Air to Kisumu.

        Kisumu Is our provincial Headquaters and from here you can move to Mbita by Road to Lwanda Kotieno Then board a ferry to Mbita point.

        It us like From Nairobi, Kisumu, Lwanda kotieno across to Mbita and you can alert me to collect you either in Nairobi or In Kisumu, I am waiting to meet you.

        Have a pleasnt day!!!!

        Samwel

        Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...> wrote:
[...]

        ___
        ______________________

        ____
[...]

        -------------------------------------
        c. No courses at any locations nearby
        -------------------------------
        d. Personal / family commitments
        ----------------------------------

        ---------------------

        -------- -------- --------
        Internet /Web ------- ------- ------- --------
        -------- --------
        E-mail ------- ------- ------- --------
        -------- --------
        E-mail discussion list or groups ------- ------- -------
        -------- -------- ---------
        Search engines -------- ------- -------- -------
        ------- ----------
        Online databases (PubMed) -------- ------- --------
        -------- ------- ----------
        Online journals (HINARI) ------- -------- --------
        -------- ------- -----------

        ------------ --------------
        Searching CD-ROM databases ----------- ---------
        ------------ ---------------
        ---------------
[...]

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        Computer specielist
        Community Development

      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2006
          Dear Samuel,
          thanks for your help. I 'll book in Dar a bus seat to Kisumu when i arrive there on the 28th July  then I'll inform you.
          All the best!
          Agnese (everybody call me in this way!)
          Maria Agnese Giraudo