Inoltra: Fwd: Sarakasi Plea/Crisis in Kenya

  • Maria Agnese Giraudo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2008
      Kennedy Owino <nafsiafricaacro@...> ha scritto:
      Data: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 01:58:31 -0800 (PST)
      Da: Kennedy Owino <nafsiafricaacro@...>
      Oggetto: Fwd: Sarakasi Plea/Crisis in Kenya

      Hi Friends,

      I am sharing with you the mail below and providing contacts of Sarakasi Trust and Africa Peace point (A.P.P) as Organisations through which assistance can be availed.
      I have just had a meeting with Michael Ochieng who is the Director of A.P.P and he has told me that they are capturing occurrences especially in Kibera through the Ndugu Mdogo film crew and posting the pictures together with stories on the internet.
      They are also co-ordinating and collecting donations that can be given to the displaced.
      At the moment the number of displaced stand at over 100,000 and over 300 dead, this is a source am getting from www.africapeacepointkenya.org (crisis in Kenya)
      Contact; Michael Ochieng, Director A.P.P (app@... / michael@...) Tel; +254733718714

      I also share with you Sarakasi Trusts mail attached below, Sarakasi is working on the ground helping acrobats and youths who are at the moment going hungry and forcibly being recruited into illegal cliques as Mungiki.
      Donations can be directed through Marion Van Djick, Director, Tel; +254722811926

      It was a ghostly Night yesterday in Kawangware slums as Exchange of gunshots between the police and Mungiki forces rented the air.
      We had earlier received warnings that they were going to torch luos' and Luhyas' houses and hack them with pangas(swords).
      We kept vigil and alert the whole night but calm was eventually restored with heavy police presence in the area.
      Today morning i was to confirm the damage as; two people killed, houses robbed and women raped.
      We just had a meeting with my group Nafsi Africa Acrobats and some dancers, and am confirming that most of them can't afford meals as prices keep escalating and food stuffs quickly dwindling from shopping stores shelf.

      Today has been at least calm but a crowd has already formed in Ngong Road and making their way towards the Town center demonstrating.
      There is heavy police cordon in the Town center.
      And certain areas have been sealed off, people are closing shops and public transport vehicles stopping operations in fear of yesterday's violence repeat.
      We have suggested as a group to mobilize many Acrobats from various tribes to form one huge pyramid as a mark advocating for peace.
      We want to show Kenyans that we can still unite as Kenyans despite our political and tribal affiliations to save Kenya from the Abyss.
      We don't know the procedures and implications that would follow in organising for such.
      Political meetings have been banned and any gatherings viewed with suspicion.
      Any efforts to mediate are met with hostilities by certain groups, it's either you take one side or wait to be killed.
      We will seek and explore avenues of getting the requirements and follow the procedures of mobilizing Acrobats and Drummers towards this cause.
      As Nafsi acrobats we also appeal for any financial support that would help some of the youths and children families that we train.
      Contributions can be sent through Kennedy Owino (+254723568251) or the various contacts given.
      Any financial assistance can be received through western union.
      I also need phone numbers of members of the Minciu Sodas forum or any leaders residing in Kibera.
      At the moment there is a shortage of phone credit cards which is hampering communication at this vital moment, my appeal is for us to assist each other in making communications open and possible to all.
      Access to information is also necessary.
      At least we can now access cybers and use the internet during calm moments, but cell phones use are at the moment more important.

      My final prayer is that may Kenyans realize that there is no important gain for us as opening up our clasped fists and reaching out to each other with love, embrace, and hugs and giving peace a chance.
      May we we live in peace as we used to.

      Kennedy Owino

      Nafsi Afrika Acrobats
      P.o Box 21255- 00505
      Nairobi.
      www.nafsiafriacrobats.org

      Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:19:50 +0300
      From: "Nairobi Ashtanga Yoga" <nairobi.ashtanga@...>
      Subject: Fwd: Sarakasi Plea

      FW : attachment plea letter

      We have raised over ksh60000 today to help the Saraksi youths affected by this violence get their feet back on the ground again.  If you wish to pledge your contributions, please call Marion Van Dijke 0722 811926 to arrange for the funds to get to Sarakasi Trust.

      May peace return to Kenya soonest possible.