Wonderful News and Thanks to ALL!/CS Monitor (KCYP)/response network

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008

      Hello Dear Sam, Andrius, Asif, Maria Agnese, Dennis, and All,

      Fantastic and relieving news that you are OK, Sam, and about Ken!!  I will try to find info out about Ron (ie how to contact), and hope Eric Wanjamah will check in with us too (hopefully from Sweden!).

      Equally wonderful abt Andrius contacting Tom Ochuka!!  The loss of that digital camera and the phone from which he can earn some living will be especially harsh for Tom and the community he serves, so I will try to do what I can in that regard, and hope we can be helpful in a number of ways to members and friends.

      Thanks for the Paypal info and option, Andrius, and hope all will take note.

      A Kisumu-based friend in another forum--who knows Tom and has tried to reach him locally without success (meaning that, in some cases, it's been easier for those of us outside of Kenya to reach those there than it has for locals to contact each other)--says that Kisumu will be several years repairing and rebuilding what has been lost.  About 100 people have been killed, and there is still fear of travelling outside of one' s home. Food is scarce, and prices are rising.

      In a chilling reminder of Rwanda, as Sam mentions, adults and children (Kikuyu) were burned to death inside a church in Eldoret.  One hopeful sign:  members like Dennis organizing peace activities!  Another is a planned peace march, joining Luos and Kikuyus. A third is the involvement of Desmond Tutu, Tanzanian president Kikwete, and EU reps.

      Also, I have heard that Fred Ouko of the Kibera Community Youth Programme is fine, though food is becoming scarce and expensive!  Andrius may remember that Fred joined us for Global Learn Day (2004, I think), and Sam and Fred have been in touch and collaborating. Dennis and Fred, both ActALIVE members, worked as part of the first JUMP (To Change The World) team in 2006, this consisting of American and Kenyan youth who jointly crafted mixed-media stories related to their lives.

      I mention KCYP in part because Asif--ever-ready with invaluable support and suggestions--has suggested linking up with the Christian Science Monitor. An amazing paper which often reports on (and from within) Kenya, with stories which are thoughtful, well-balanced, and as positive as possible, without shying away from tough facts.

      They have recently done a marvelous front-page story on KCYP, discussing how uplifting that nonprofit has been for the youth of Kibera. So I am all for linking with the Monitor, and have had some contact with reporters there already on HIV/AIDS-related stories. Our family gets the paper daily (5 days a week), a legacy from my mother--who was a Christian Scientist--so I can keep a lookout for stories.

      We are developing an emergency-response network right now, from the looks of it, which is heartening and uplifting!  And we now know that both "local" and "global" components are needed for this to work in a "holistic" (complete) way.

      Whole-hearted thanks again to EVERYONE involved in this endeavor, and to all who are showing so much caring and concern. This is truly inspiring, and a good reason to be hopeful.  With love and continuing prayers for the safety and well-being of all, Janet