REPACTED: Huge Congrats on Rising Voices Grant!/thanks for report!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008

      Dear Friend Dennis and All,

      Your 2007 report is so exciting and holds particular meaning for many of us witnessing the current violence and destruction (due to election outcome) in Kenya. Immense thanks for that, and noted too is the need for funds and other resources with which to do more outreach and touch even more lives with your work. We'll hope to be "working on that" in 2008!

      I am going to respond to your other post abt helping Kenyans, linking that with one by Collins of a few weeks ago (at ActALIVE), in a separate mail. For this mail, I want to post with an equally exciting report:  REPACTED has been named a grant recipient of the most recent "Rising Voices" round of proposals. HUGE CONGRATS!

      From the proposal, it seems clear that you will be able to use the experience you gained through JUMP (www.jumptochangetheworld.org) and your work a few years ago with Students of the World (http://www.studentsoftheworld.org and http://www.studentsoftheworld.org/kenya.htm), as well as your wealth of experience in community theater.

      In addition, the ICTs and arts/media activities you undertook in ANFORD (along with Stan Tuvako and others), another youth group you co-founded earlier in the decade, should be helpful, as well as the MTV/Staying Alive activities, including the "48Fest" film event organized at the Toronto International AIDS Conference in 2006. Your links both to ActALIVE and Minciu Sodas will also hopefully be valuable, given our collective focus on arts/media/ICTs, human-development, communication, community, and individual self-realization.

      With greatest excitement and artistic affections always, Janet

      See announcement here:

      http://rising.globalvoicesonline.org/blog/2007/12/28/congratulations-new-rising-voices/

      And full proposal here:

      PROJECT TITLE: Youth Media Consultative Forum
      YOUR NAME: Dennis Kimambo
      TITLE: Resource mobilizer
      YOUR ORGANIZATION (optional): REPACTED
      WEB SITE: repacted.org
      ADDRESS:        13361 Nakuru Kenya 20100
      PHONE/SKYPE/GTALK: +254 722 388 275/ deno801

      Why are you seeking Rising Voices funding? How will your project benefit the community you are targeting? (100 words)
      We are seeking these funds so as to reduce the gap within developing and developed nations. The youth media consultative forum will collect news, stories, information, and other content from their respective communities among the target population and post them on the internet, blogs, websites, and send it to forums so that people can learn more about the community and help them in solving there problems.
      What kinds of news, stories, information and other content will your project provide? Describe your vision for the content. (250 words)
      The youth media consultative forum will collect news, stories, information, and other content from their respective communities among the target population and post them on the internet, through photography, broadcast, video, blogging, and magazines. The project will also use Magnet Theatre to inform, educate, and communicate to the target population. With the above activities the target population will be able to communicate with like minded population in the whole world, and show the true picture of their community. The kind of news and stories that we will collect and share using the above tools will be to show the struggles that young people are going through here in Nakuru Kenya and give them a voice.
      Who will generate the content? Who is the target audience? How, and how often, will it be distributed? What language(s) will it be available in? (300 words)

      REPACTED is planning to train its members and 25 community key resource persons between the ages of 15-24 from the community, 10 of them being former prison inmates. The key persons will undergo training on using digital equipments editing of videos and voices that they record they will also be trained on web use and how to blog there findings, experiences and ideas. This initiative also envisages to equipping members with the ability to check most recent information on HIV/AIDS using the internet.
      The 15 key resource people will directly reach out to 20 friends, through former inmates who are reformed; we will reach out to gang members and young people (20) per month with intensive and repeated messages, activities and document their findings on weekly basis using digital tools to document and share.
      The project is designed to work closely with young people, improve their knowledge on digital communication and also give them life skills so that they can be able to make informed choices and decisions, improve decision making skills. Informed young people are better able to avoid behaviors that put them at risk. The key resource persons from the community will form the youth media consultative forums in their respective communities, the youth media consultative forum members will come from the community and among the community influential persons; they are expected to form estate peer education forums/clubs and mobilize local resources in managing the long objective of the project. The forums and discussions will be made lively by the use of theatre to enhance participation. The youth media consultative forum will collect news; stories, information, and other content from the target population edit them and post them on the blog. The above information will be collected based on the local language which the target population understands then translated to English.

      What kinds of participation and interaction do you expect from the readers/listeners/viewers of your content? How will you encourage participation? (75 words)
      The organization expects active participation, interaction and contribution from the reader, listeners, and viewers of the contents. And we will encourage this by asking more like minded organizations and people to visit the blogs and sites, through already existing international and local networks this will e very possible. They will be free to post there comments criticism and experiences on what will be posted for them to read.
      What is your knowledge of your target community? Why are you the best individual/organization to lead this project? Do you have prior experience in citizen media outreach? (100 words)
      We have a good knowledge of the community having worked within the same community for more than 5 years and learned that there is need for sharing and learning from others in this way the community gets encouragement to deal with there own issues and they know that they are not the only ones facing the problem.
      As a group we don’t have prior experience in citizen media outreach, but we are ready to work and learn from others and wok with the local a organization that has experience in this.
      Describe what technologies and tools your project will use to produce the contentWhat kinds of technical skills and expertise do you bring to the project? What are your technical needs? (100 words)
      The project is planning to use digital technology to document the findings, which will be cameras, video cameras, and computers, flash disks and voice recorders. The project will put in place a team of community theatre experts who are also members of the organization to assist the community key persons in the implementation of the project; the theater team will conduct community theatre outreaches. For the team to achieve the above objectives and long term goal the following equipment will be purchased; 2 video cameras,2 cameras, 2 computers, 15 flash disk, 1 voice recorders and internet connection.
      How will you measure and evaluate your project’s impact – on your main participants? other contributors? on the larger community? How many participants do you expect to be involved in your project? How will you seek and sustain their involvement? (200 words)
      Evaluation will take place at 3 points: Baseline, midline and end line.
      In order to do this effectively the group will develop a checklist to be able to help in evaluating the process from the beginning to the end.
      Comprehensive regular review meetings will be done and blogged for people to help in monitoring and evaluate the project. The following indicators will be used to measure the impact of the project; the number of young people trained, the number of people willing to give information, the number of people accessing the blog, the number of communication received, increase in the stakeholders. Also the number of young people reached and using the blog. The community will benefit through the people since information will be available to the community at the community blog points, the community will access the information from the points and share the information with other community members. The participants involved will be at least 100 at least but more through the internet and ensure that they own the project so that they will stay own even without funding.
      What challenges do you expect to face, and how do you plan to overcome them? (200 words)
      Each idea comes with its own challenge; the idea is new to most of the community members because of information technology being a new concept of communication in the community. The use of the digital technology is also anticipated challenge. The above will be handled with the training and constant practicing with the equipments and the tools. The project is most likely to attract a big number of memberships from the community   because it is a new idea, this can be a serious challenge but with the team the coordination team will develop plans to incorporate the attracted population into the system. By the use of the equipment the participants will be able to raise money from using of the equipments to cover parties, weddings, funerals, graduations and other functions that people always want to have them covered from this we can buy more equipments and start more groups that are community members themselves running the project.
       How do you plan to sustain your project's content after the Rising Voices funding has ended? Detail specific plans. How do you plan to raise revenue to continue your efforts in the future? (300 words)
      The project will put in place community oriented strategies and plans that are participatory and involving for sustainability of the project after the funding period. With consultancy the project will develop business plan that will act as guide to the project sustainability. The business plan will be implemented by the project team through support from like minded organization. The plan will be put in place to generate income for the project. During the project implementation the community will be constantly consulted on the sustainability of the project. Part of the business plan will be to offer video coverage to the customers, producing short movies, and theatre productions. In the community there is a great need of digital coverage and photos that people are willing to pay to have them. By the use of the equipment the participants will be able to raise money from using of the equipments to cover parties, weddings, funerals, graduations and other functions that people always want to have them covered from this we can buy more equipments and start more groups that are community members themselves running the project.
      Since the project will be working hand in hand with the already existing theatre community outreaches, the people ho will be in the project will be paid there allowances from the project which is on going for the next 3 years thus ensuring the continuity of this project.

      What resources and support can Rising Voices provide to your project to ensure its success? (200 words)

      Rising voices can support this project by funding the 1st face of the project and help us with technical support through out the project implementation period, by linking us with other organizations that have done similar projects before from anywhere around the world we will be able to improve the project even further. If rising voices can also help us get in touch with a person who has video blogged and has experience on the same to come and volunteer with our organization for a couple f months so that we can learn more about it and become perfect in video blogging and general ways around it.
      What online tools and software programs do you plan on using? What experience do you have with these tools? (200 words)
      The online tools that we are going to use are you tube, blogs, social sites, and sites that allow pod casts one of them being jumptochangetheworld.org which is ready to help us and have people listening to them. We have experience in the social and e-forums that are there for health related groups. We will be using the already existing tools and allowing people to have chats when they need them. The software’s that we will use are editing software’s for voice, video, pictures, we have some experience in the editing software’s that are there also we will call upon a person who has been using the software for long to teach us.

      http://rising.globalvoicesonline.org/blog/2007/12/28/congratulations-new-rising-voices/