Thanks For Helping Kenyans!/Ron O, Eric W, TT-Kenya, All

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008
      Dear Andrius and All,

      I've just been back online after a few days, so am catching up with all mails and news posted to forums. However, the news I read in papers is very scary, esp for Kibera, where at least 100+ people have been killed (mostly Kikuyu, from reports).

      I did not ask last time abt Ron Omondi and Eric Wanjamah, thinking/hoping that Ron is not in an area where there have been reports of violence, and Eric is in Sweden. Also Ken Odhiambo and Henry Migingo of OVF-Kenya, David Mutua of CAWD, and Teachers Talking Kenya. Please can we hear from them or find out somehow abt them too?

      Andrius, your suggestions are marvelous and could be life-saving, and this is exactly why an emergency network is also a crucial and visionary idea, and imperative for us to start working on asap.

      I am seeing huge amounts of news, though am not sure how much is completely accurate. It's so important that you have talked with Sam, and that Maria Agnese is also in touch with a colleague there.

      I have heard from a couple friends in Nairobi, one friend who lives near Tom O is reporting from Kisumu, and Dennis in Nakuru has been posting. I have not heard from friends in Kibera, however, and my attempt to find out if someone reported killed--of the same name as an ActALIVE member, and from the same district--has met with no response. Most worrisome!

      On funds, that's a great idea. Only hitch for now might be that some friends report banks closed, first for the holiday and election, and now because of violence. There may be other outlets where funds can be picked up, though members should be extra cautious abt picking up even a small amount (to us, much larger to most Kenyans) of money, as that could make them a target. Let's see what Sam and others say abt how that could be done.

      Perhaps we could ask a couple members to call other members via regular phone, and can pay for the long-distance charges they might incur? You got through to Sam, for instance...I imagine he knows some of our members' numbers, like Ken, David, et al, and does he know how to reach Fred Ouko in Kibera? I'm worried not to hear from him, so hope someone might do that outreach.

      I'll be on and offline for a few days now, but will check in again when I can, and report anything I know immediately. Hopefully we can all, wherever we are, direct our prayers and concerns to members in Kenya, for the Kenyan people and nation as a whole.

      We can also utilize the Buddhist concept of "maitri", a very simple but very meaningful act each one of us can make: that is, sending out lovingkindness to our friends in Kenya (and to everyone there, no matter who they are, what their tribe, even to those committing violence), sending out peaceful thoughts to counter violence, sending out thoughts of healing and reconciliation, to counter the wounds, the fear, and the hatred. If all of our Minciu Sodas members would do this, what a powerful force for good that would be!

      With greatest thanks for such caring and hopefulness in these difficult times, and love and blessings to all, Janet