Samwel and Actwid Kongadzem/Africa Source 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2005
      Dear Franz, Andrius, Samwel, Wendi, and All,

      Hello and thanks for this great note, Franz!  I am ccing Wendi of Actwid too, because I agree that Samwel may be able to act as a "rapporteur" for what he learns at the conference, which is one reason I am in favor of him attending. He might even act as a tutor of sorts for Actwid Kongadzem. I also do hope that Wendi and all at AK will stay connected to Africa Source too, as they have been promised.

      In February, when Wendi/AK and I put together their GenARDIS grant entry, one thing which we hoped to do was get some radios, mobile phones, and other audio-visual means (like KAIPPG, my org)--not computers, at least as the primary ICT--to initiate a crafts project for income-generation, and also to enable learning about HIV/AIDS, nutrition, and other subjects. This is similar to what Samwel hopes to do (crafts business, education, skills-building), and it would be great to explore what might be possible in terms of information-sharing, and even skills-building and income-generation, in some kind of joint project for them both.

      I believe there are local (national) Linux activities AK may be able to connect with too, so I'll keep my eyes open for that. On the computer front, is there something we can do to address that situation, in Cameroon and also Kenya?

      I notice that the Africa Source people mention wikis, and this is an MS specialty, so someone should be able to give Wendi and all a tutorial in this tool/resource.

      Samwel will need $250 soon to get to the conference. Andrius has pledged $100, and hopefully the rest can be raised very quickly. And as to email addresses, for some kind of interchange between Wendi and Samwel before he goes:  Samwel is at skongere@... and Wendi and women and youth at AK are at actwid_k@....  It would be wonderful if you folks can connect!

      Thanks much and hope we can indeed help the women and youth of Actwid Kongadzem!  It would be great if they could be with us in one of the forums too...I'd be delighted to have them in "holistichelping" (for Wendi and all, this is a forum where we'll be posting about people needing help, and who can give same...you can sign up at holistichelping-subscribe@yahoogroups.com ).

      With blessings and greatest appreciation, Janet

      Dear Andrius,

      thank you for sharing with us the events that led to the practical clash
      at Summer Source. I can now understand much better what happened and I
      think in the long run these things should not be "swept under the carpet"
      but seen as a result of structural shortcomings, with positive spirit on
      both sides.

      I am conveying to our groups a call (see below) from my friends in Bamenda
      (English speaking part of Cameroon) - where we tried up years ago to set
      up the Linux email Post Office. Unfortunately, time of training was much
      too short, but they kept on being interested in Linux even though most of
      the computers we sent there (another story)  are broken now!! - and when I
      told them about Africa Source they wanted to participate. In this
      particular case I find it VERY sad they were not accepted because their
      spirit is really very motivated.

      Maybe if Samwel - who was accepted and is determined to go to Africa
      Source - can get in touch with them and act as a bridge. I would be very
      happy about that - giving us all a bit more hope. Thank you Andrius for
      giving me the idea!

      Franz