We are helping Kenyans

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008
      I share news about steps our Minciu Sodas laboratory is taking to help
      our friends in Kenya.

      I spoke this morning with Samwel Kongere. He is in Rusinga Island and
      is safe. He says that in Kenya there is now a tribal situation and the
      next two days or so will be unstable. Kennedy Owino is safe but is not
      in Nairobi and can't get home because there is no transportation. I
      will be in touch with Samwel by phone and in a couple of days he thinks
      he should be able to send email. He has curtailed his activities for
      now. He will think of how we can help and alert us if there is somebody
      we should send money to in Kenya. I told him Agnese's concern. Agnese,
      Sasha, Janet motivated me to take action.

      I also spoke this morning with Davis Weddi in Kampala, Uganda.
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Davis_Weddi I share his letter below. He will
      do a small project for our laboratory which we will think through
      together. I would like him to see how we can help the refugees, how can
      they help us help Kenyans, what information do they have and also report
      to us and the world. Is there any way that we can encourage a network
      of SMS and mobile phone connection? (I assume that these channels will
      open up soon.) Davis works for the news media, perhaps we can build on
      that? Thank you to Fred Kayiwa for introducing us to Davis.

      I am also interested that we do a small project with Kiyavilo Msekwa in
      Arusha, Tanzania which is near Kenya. Kiyavilo, are there refugees or
      travelers coming to Arusha from Kenya? Could you work with them for us?

      Thank you to Sasha Mrkailo of Serbia for collecting helpful links our
      wiki page http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Kenya Sasha knows the
      hateful logic of media blackouts and ethnic strife. Sasha, please, can
      you choose some short texts or excerpts (each should be one page or
      less) that would help take nonviolent action or overcome ethnic hatred?
      I ask our Uyoga participants in Tanzania, could you translate such texts
      into Kiswahili for us? and then publish them online at our wiki and our
      groups? and perhaps print them to help send them into Kenya? Also, can
      you check the Dar es Salaam bus station or other places and speak with
      travelers and refugees and report the situation to us?

      I ask for help at Rising Voices, what can we do to help reports get out
      of Kenya and information get into Kenya? (And congratulations to Dennis
      Kimambo and all of the winners of the recent microgrants.) Thank you to
      Global Voices for the news at:
      http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/12/31/is-kenya-turning-into-a-police-state/

      What else can we do? I invite us to send money by Pay Pal to ms@...
      and we will use that to fund more small projects.

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      As we all plan and think about the situation in Kenya, I must hasten to
      note that Uganda has been seriously affected by the events in that country.

      Ugandans can no longer drive their cars as the fuel supply that comes
      through Kenya is now cut off.

      Worse still Kenyans have started fleeing into Uganda. Some of us who
      have relatives across the border, are now hosting some of those who
      managed to cross in time to escape the violence.

      But those who arrived are in dire need of help. The refugees are
      increasing by the day. Each hour, a new groups arrives on foot at least
      according to eye-witnesses including journalists.

      One story like the one I have attached below tries to explain, but the
      situation is really very worrying.

      We think that if the fuel situation continues like this, our mobile
      phones will soon not be able to call up-country where the base stations
      are diesel powered. And yet transport has already been paralysed.

      Davis Weddi

      Kampala, Uganda

      +256 752 697575

      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Kenya

      SashaMrkailo January 2, 2008 2:20 CET I am afraid that there is not much
      that I can do from here with my meager means. I can only offer some
      ideas and links. I think it is very important for our Kenyans to have
      acurate and timely, informations. I persume that there is a media
      blockout in Kenya. Its just the best way that dictators political
      manipulants use to control public opinion. So I se they have immediately
      bocked sms and cellhones. veryy convinient. I think it is good to have a
      shortwave radio , they can be cheap and reliable because you can folllow
      international uncensored informations. Here is a link to e-bay with some
      prices : http://global.ebay.com/gbh/search?browse=0&Query=shortwave

      There is knowledge on the internet how to build simple cheap ham radio
      like this person does
      http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hb_diypeople/article/0,2033,DIY_13875_2277976,00.html
      I used to listen the almost only oposition radio station on a car radio