Re: Apply for BarCamp Latvia travel funds!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2007

      It's great to hear from you in Kabul! http://www.afghanlord.org I'm grateful to the Rising Voices network and BarCampLatvia for bringing us together! I include below my translation into English of the application. Sign up for Bar Camp network http://network.barcamp.lv with the link that says "Sign Up". Then join the PromotionBarCamp team http://network.barcamp.lv/group/promotionbarcamp Say hi to a few people and also write about Bar Camp Latvia in your blog.

      I invite you to participate at our Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt for serving and organizing independent thinkers around the world. In particular, we are headquartered in Lithuania and I am proposing to Lithuania's Foreign Ministry that they hire us to help in Ghor province where Lithuania is leading efforts for reconstruction. I would be very happy if we might partner with you and other's you might recommend. We are working on more than a hundred endeavors http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Endeavors but in particular:
      * We're developing strategies for making best use of marginal Internet access. In Afghanistan, we could organize a "Sneakernet" for delivering by hand USB flash drives with emails so that such data could move back and forth, for example, between doctors, educators, clerics in Ghor province and Kabul. We are also developing an "Includer" http://www.includer.org which is a low-power device that lets one read and write emails (and other text files) stored on a USB flash drives (or telephone flash card, etc.) and which can be assembled locally.
      * We're organizing an Emergency Response Network for fostering leadership through local meetings (to talk about potential emergencies ahead of time) and through mobile phone text messages (SMS). http://wiki.rising.globalvoicesonline.org/Emergency+Response+Network
      * We're fostering the development of do-it-yourself, "open source hardware" appropriate technologies such as burners, turbines, generators, motors. One day they will lead to an "open source tractor".
      * Cultural DNA: I am going to develop a game for documenting the patterns (recurring activities and mathematical rules of thumb) in our every day lives so that we might recognize and address the problems in our cultures and share and champion their strengths. For example, Lithuania suffers from alcoholism, suicide, divorce and we can learn much from Afghanistan's cultures, and vice versa.
      Which of these might interest you? and could you suggest more?

      As an organizer, I find it very helpful if you share your answers to these three questions:
      * What is your deepest value in life, that includes all of your other values?
      * What is a question that you don't know the answer to, but wish to answer?
      * What would you like to achieve?

      Nasim, we have several working groups that might interest you, including:

      Nasim, Thank you for your important work and our love to all you meet in Afghanistan. My sister Rima gave me the book "Three Cups of Tea" about climber Greg Mortenson's inspiring work to build schools in Pakistan and Aghanistan http://www.gregmortenson.com http://www.threecupsoftea.com It's exciting what might be possible.

      1. Name
      2. Country of residence
      3. Contact e-mail
      4. Address blog
      5. Have you ever participated in such activities ("unconferences")?
      6. If so, when and where?
      7. What will you achieve by participating in BarCamp 2008 Baltics?
      8. Have you already submitted an application for a visa?
      9. Have you compensated for travel expenses?
      10. If so, what amount? Will you be able to travel if your expenses are
      not compensated?
      11. Can you prepare a report?
      12. Will you help the organizers (participate in the Help Team)?
      13. Can you assist in the dissemination of information about the
      upcoming event?
      14. If so, how?
      15. How did you hear about BarCamp Baltics 2008?
      16. Write a few words about yourself and your achievements in the field
      of web-technologies.

      Send it to joha [at] barcamp [dot] lv by December 31.