Chat about Rising Voices microgrants, Saturday, 1:00 London time

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2007
      David Sasaki leads Rising Voices http://wiki.rising.globalvoicesonline.org
      "Rising Voices aims to help bring new voices from new communities and
      speaking new languages to the conversational web, by providing resources and
      funding to local groups reaching out to underrepresented communities."

      They are inviting all to submit ideas for microgrants of up to $5,000 for
      citizen media outreach projects to teach the skills of citizen media to new
      users. They seem to be especially interested in helping people learn to
      create blogs, podcasts, videos in local languages.

      I invite everybody to work together on our proposals as we chat this
      Saturday, November 24 at 4:00 pm Kenya time, 1:00 pm London time, 8:00 am New
      York time. I expect we will chat for at least 2 hours and probably more so
      you can come later if you need to. Join us here:
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/

      At our own Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt I think of the work of
      Uyoga in Tanzania to teach computer skills to youth in Kiswahili, and the
      worker of Teachers Talking in Nigeria and Kenya to teach computer skills to
      ICT teachers, and also our regional network in Kenya that works with video.
      Our work seems very relevant and we should write at least one microgrant
      proposal and possibly several. Especially because it is a chance to get
      feedback and to support the interactive grant process at the wiki. And there
      may be more microgrants in the future. That is important because the chance
      of winning any particular contest is not very big.

      I earlier submitted a proposal
      http://wiki.rising.globalvoicesonline.org/Marginal+Internet+Access
      and I'm asking Sasha Mrkailo of Serbia to lead that and rewrite that.

      David, I look forward to your help and feedback. I and others at our lab
      have many ideas but it's a matter of knowing what might be possible.

      For example, I would like to set up an SMS system in Africa for activating an
      emergency response network. Typically, we would work with a local church or
      organization, giving them at least $20 but offering $100 if they collect 100
      cell phone numbers from participants for the network who agree to reply to an
      SMS message. The SMS message would have a fun test question on some topic
      like flu pandemic or AIDS or flooding, etc., and they would reply with their
      answer, primarily to ensure that the network is active. But also this would
      encourage discussion at church or at the organization of a sensitive topic.
      And it would have a ready list of people to call in the event of an emergency
      and a growing sense of leadership by those who participate. We could combine
      that with local information sharing and a website explaining how to set this
      up and providing the information materials needed and perhaps allowing the
      registration of participants. But would it make sense to write a grant
      proposal for this?

      I would like to see each of our African participants have a proposal that
      describes what they would like to be doing. And so they could submit it
      here, get feedback and attention, and submit it at other places as well.
      Also, we're interested to connect with others around the world.

      David, I appreciate very much your open leadership and networking. I imagine
      that I myself can't benefit directly from these microgrants but yet if our
      lab's participants can win that would be a great support.

      However, I confess that we live in a very small world in which I and others
      may not be included for somebody's personal reasons. In 2003, Jeff Buderer
      met with Alan Gunn ("a long time partner of Tactical Tech")
      http://www.tacticaltech.org/asiasource2_partners
      who told him that I was "blacklisted". Indeed, I attended the 2002 Tactical
      Tech Summer Source Camp where Alan and another organizer Marek Tuszynski
      forced me to leave early because I was "too intimidating". In particular, I
      had made Ethan Zuckerman feel embarrassed when I publicly challenged him that
      he hadn't answered my question, a question voicing doubts raised by African
      participants about Ethan's faith in "leapfrogging technologies", which they
      were too afraid to raise. They wanted me to leave the island of Vis at night
      with nowhere to go, but finally they allowed me to stay until the early
      morning ferry, so long as I stayed alone away from the others. Furthermore, I
      was told by the organizers that I must never tell anybody what had happened.

      Rising Voices is made possible by Ethan Zuckerman's important work and works
      closely with Tactical Tech, who is also doing important work. Certainly, any
      public letters from them how they would like to work together publicly with
      our Minciu Sodas lab would be great. They have not responded to my online
      participation over the years. I simply appreciate a forthrightness in
      letting me and others know what is possible and also helping with
      alternatives to make sure all can be included. I appreciate special efforts
      to include our Minciu Sodas laboratory because of the extraordinary efforts
      in the past not to include us. I am very interested in "working openly" in a
      culture that lets us overlap our work as much as possible. The world is
      growing smaller.

      P.S. My webmail won't be recognized by the Rising Voices google groups so if
      I have trouble posting my letter, then please do so! Thank you!

      And please spread our invitation to chat!

    • ACTWID KONGADZEM
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2007
        Hi Andrius,
        Congratulations for the microgrants issue for NGOs
        like us. We hope to be able to join you on the chat.
        Thanks
        Wendi

        Be a better pen pal.
      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2007
          Dear Andrius, Josephat, Janet, William, Samwel, Sasha  and all,

          I appreciate this further opportunity Andrius is providings to our members in Africa. I'm constantly in touch with Josephat who kindly keeps me informed of  developments inside Uyoga and i'm in touch with William as well.
          I hope that we join together on sunday in the chat room. I suppose that we have to talk of so many issues. I would like to encourage Uyoga to get involved in a Rising Voices project, but perhaps they have to face some challenges. Perhaps they want to wait to afford a new project, while they are  starting   "kuku project"  although it could be a  learning experience and  they  can get visibility from it.
           I would like to suggest to think a project in which are involved Africans in Africa and in Europa, to put together English and  French speaking.I suggest  that young people can address to same age people in Europe to break divisions and create opportunities to develop common goals. I would like people in Africa reach  Africans living in Europe, in Rome to  support them to present the richness of African culture, the holistic approach in life ......I read always with  passionate interest what Samwel and  Ken write and i hope Uyoga members be free to express their  personal thoughts and feelings.  I get  great inspirations from  you Janet, and i would like to share more with you about strategies to support youth in developing capacity building. I would like that we encourage them to go on to face new challanges, staying on their side to help them to succeed, or to support them in failure, because failures are important experiences as well.
          Bye!
          Maria Agnese

          ms@...

          http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?HolisticHelping

          Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you! http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:holistichelping-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:holistichelping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • samuel kongere
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2007
            Hi Maria, Andrius, Wendy and All,
            I love this great topic to discussed tomorrow here and because we had initial focus for this grant in June. It is good if we can meet and chat on the rising voices. I I hope to be there and this is going to be a wonderful day. great!
            Cheers,
            Sam.

            --- ms@... wrote:

> [...]
            > the extraordinary efforts
            > in the past not to include us. I am very interested
            > in "working openly" in a
            > culture that lets us overlap our work as much as
            > possible. The world is
            > growing smaller.
            >
            > P.S. My webmail won't be recognized by the Rising
            > Voices google groups so if
            > I have trouble posting my letter, then please do so!
            > Thank you!
            >
            > And please spread our invitation to chat!
            >
            > Andrius
            >
            > Andrius Kulikauskas
            > Minciu Sodas
            > http://www.ms. lt
            > ms@...
            >

            > http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?HolisticHelp ing
            >
            > Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the
            > Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN
            > unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you!

            Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. http://overview. mail.yahoo. com/

            MBITA  040305-KENYA.
            Cell: +254 725 600 439

          • David mutua
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 25, 2007
              Dear Andrius, David Sasaki, Maria, Sam and others.
              Thanks Andrius for this info, this comes at the rigth time for our Teachers Talking Kenya. TT Kenya is aimed at raising their voices about education and community needs of where they work and live through all possible technologies, we started with community consultation meetings thus are F2F - this time there was no other technology like cameras or internet that can be used to record and communicate the happenings, only written reports from the meetings were available , this grew to online meetings and reporting after COL support for the TT training and online meetings, later during the workshop CAWD through Pam donated a digital still camera to be used for evidence pics and a team is working on that.
              As we believe in talking or raising our voices, we are exploring all opportunities that can meet our needs, the Raising Voices initiatives fits in well with our aim and interests.
              How can we build the video work in Kenya that the Minciu Sodas laboratory members have helped to establish? The skills that the Sam and Ken team in Kenya have gained that can be shared with other groups like ours (TT).

              Sam and Ken what do you think?

              I would suggest we look at this possibility together for a better way forward, such like a collaborative video skills and making your presence on the web training for the groups (through joining neworks,blogging and wikis).

              Please advise.

              David Mutua
              TT Kenya Project Manager and Coordinator.

              --- ms@... wrote:

> [...]
              > the extraordinary efforts
              > in the past not to include us. I am very interested
              > in "working openly" in a
              > culture that lets us overlap our work as much as
              > possible. The world is
              > growing smaller.
              >
              > P.S. My webmail won't be recognized by the Rising
              > Voices google groups so if
              > I have trouble posting my letter, then please do so!
              > Thank you!
              >
              > And please spread our invitation to chat!
              >
              > Andrius
              >
              > Andrius Kulikauskas
              > Minciu Sodas
              > http://www.ms. lt
              > ms@...
              >

              > http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?HolisticHelp ing
              >
              > Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the
              > Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN
              > unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you!

              UDOGO youth development/ Miniciu-Sodas Laboratories