E-waste recycling

  • nafsiafricaacro
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2007
      Jambo Andrius, Maria, janet and all,

      Am sorry for my evident long absence, I have been through an ocean
      of things and feelings, and also responding to pressing trivial
      family matters.
      However I have been keenly following on conversations, and updating
      myself with current postings.

      I am overly inspired by Maria's, Shasha's, Andrius's, sam's'Janet's
      and other independent thinkers' recent postings.
      Your mails have reinforced the convictions I have been habouring,
      and they motivate me into deep thinking towards the various concerns
      and values we seek to address, especially concerning development
      work.
      I am also impressed by Andrius's efforts towards the upcoming Trash
      ware meeting on "public domain and technology" by Communia.
      Fred's and others' participation in the meeting would be a merit,
      as a first step in gathering knowledge and disbursing it.
      I believe that being adequately informed and knowledgeable in the
      concern being addressed is essential.
      It is therefore upon us to grapple more with empowering ourselves
      with Knowledge, in order to achieve our goal of adjusting the
      acquired knowledge and technologies to local circumstances.
      Knowledge and technical skills are important towards becoming
      development workers with a vision of running a project, that truly
      improves lives and that can't easily forget the sights of utter
      desperation in our societies.
      Knowledge is power (which should be positively exploited) and
      excellence in any endeavor is, first and foremost, a question of
      full knowledge base around the issue addressed.
      We share what we have, There is no shortage of ideas where a number
      of like minded independent individuals are involved.
      I have Observed, this culture within our domain of independent
      thinkers. As agents in the arena of change I encourage the spirit of
      idea sharing to live on.

      Maria, thanks for linking us up and informing the forum about the
      upcoming meeting in Nairobi by Kictanet, however it's unfortunate I
      really wanted to but could not book myself a space.
      However, I am striving at making connections with the moderator.
      Although we have no already existing local e-trash recycling
      project (ideally we are), I believe our networking with KicTanet
      will grant us a meriting opportunity to learn more on issues
      regarding recycling of e-waste and also the Governments policies in
      this.
      Our interest in e-waste management is very much inline with
      KICTAnet/DSF/ and EMPA initiative.
      As people focused on addressing e-waste concerns, I concur with
      Janet's point on consolidating more information and opening up to
      collaborations and networking.
      Charity will not solve worlds social problems but attitudes
      guaranteeing change in perception and the locals abilities in
      identifying correct machineries and organizations to network with
      towards change will.
      I believe this is the supposed spirit of development

      I bet it is useful to attend conferences, trade shows and gatherings
      where funders and business people gather and to connect with
      established networks of socially responsible business people, such
      as business for social responsibility or net impact. I believe this
      gives leads to organizations doing interesting work in related areas.
      The 3rd E-learning conference in Ghana will be a huge plus and
      important knowledge resource.
      Some important reference to learn and borrow a leaf from;
      (www.gn.apc.org) an organization called green net that provides a
      global computer communications network for environment, peace and
      human rights groups, and services to countries poorly served by
      commercial communications ns network for environment, peace and
      human rights groups, and services to countries poorly served by
      commercial communications vices.
      (http://www.iimm.org/knowledge_bank/9_e-weste-management.htm) Indian
      institute of E-materials management.

      In conclusion I say; ICT is regarded as being one of the most
      important forces driving globalization processes. The concept of
      digital gap has risen in this connection.
      Digital gap which is very apparent in developing countries, unequal
      access to ICT between people within a country due to financial
      situation, education, place of residence e.t.c are trivial concerns
      to be addressed in African Nations.

      ICT is not a magic wand that will solve unemployment or social
      exclusion problems in the immediate future, Yes, it will be a long
      time before everyone has access to this technology. Fairer
      distribution mechanisms are also a prerequisite for influencing the
      situation. But there is a reason, to be conscious and cautiously
      optimistic and help the e-marginalized in embracing ICT, with
      consideration to the conflicts experiences between life in global
      cyberspace and the local cultures in which we live.

      I wish you all e-peace and affection.

      Ken Owino,
      Nafsi Afrika acrobats
      P.o Box 21255, 00505