Re: [mendenyo] Chat with Nigeria and Pamela at 8:00 am London time Sunday; and Thursday

  • jeff buderer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2007
      Andrius, All

      Thanks for the report. I look forward to meeting with you on the 27th of this month just north of Kansas City Missouri. Here is an outline of the direction I am going with this based on Marcin's and your ideas: http://blog.onevillage.tv/wp/?p=483

      I am sharing this with 1village group in the hope that some of the folks there will get involved with some of the discussions MS is facilitating particularly in relation to development in East Africa. I have been subscribed to the Mendenyo group for several months now and have realized the information exchange there was quite useful and the discussions were robust.

      I want to encourage our team in particular to look at the innovative way that Andrius has brought people together and is continuing to connect people through his networking efforts. I think we can learn a lot from his approach especially as we are trying to promote the development of a particular type of telecenters called Open Digital Villages.

      In August Joy met with the GlobalVoices people in Taiwan (Rebecca Mackinnon and Isaac Mao) at WikiMania http://blog.onevillage.tv/wp/?p=406 and Joy had a chance to talk in depth with them to find out about their work.

      My view is that in order to compete for the grant Global Voices Online is offering it would be best to demonstrate your ability to post content on a blogging systems along the lines that is seen at the Global Voices blogs. I was not aware that such a function actually existed in WorkNets. The appearance and function of blogs and wikis are somewhat different although they can be built and are now being built on the same basic system CMS architecture as with Drupal or Near-Time which we have been looking into http://blog.onevillage.tv/wp/?p=481.

      Jeff
      Hi from Chicago.  I share Lorraine Duff's invitation to chat at our WorkNets
      chat room http://www.worknets.org/chat/base/   I hope that some of us might
      make it (I will be sleeping!)  I share below today's chat.  I'm glad that I
      showed up, there were a lot of excited participants.

      Also, today I wrote requests to COMMUNIA that they invite Fred Kayiwa and
      Sasha Mrkailo to come to the workshop on "Public Domain and Technology" on
      January 18, 2008 in Torino, Italy.  Maria Agnese Giraudo and I will also
      represent our lab there.  Paolo Pumilia would you like to come? And perhaps
      somebody from Binario Etico? Or who else, please let us know!  I have also
      printed out the Network Agreement and plan to send that out on Monday.  And I
      purchased 20 flash drives to send to Fred ($10 each plus tax at Office Depot)
      so I will send them out next week.  And I purchased my tickets to Kansas
      City, Missouri and San Diego, California.

      Let's chat this Thursday, 2:00 pm London time about the Rising Voices
      microgrants for citizen media http://wiki.rising.globalvoicesonline.org  It
      will be 8:00 am here in Chicago on Thanksgiving morning.  I will be there!

      Hi everyone,

      I have received a text update from Pam regarding planning to be on-line with
      the participants from the "ICT for Trainers Talking Nigeria November 2007."

      They hope to be able to access the WorkNets chat room -
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/base/ or use yahoo conferencing.

      If anyone is free on Sunday 18th November between 2pm and 3pm GMT and/or
      Monday 19th November between 8am and 9am GMT. Please drop in to chat with the
      participants.

      To check your timezone visit:
      http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

      I will post any further updates as soon as possible.

      Thanks,

      Lorraine
      CAWD volunteer

      ----------------

      TTAnniversaryCelebration: HI we are the TT group :: We are learning to use
      colour in the chat room :: We like purple :: We chooso blue colour :: We are
      sorry no one can join us today.

      Kazankacomfort: But am in the chat room now

      TTAnniversaryCelebration: WElcome :: Pls chose colour

      Kazankacomfort: Which color do i chose?

      TTAnniversaryCelebration: Any one :: Greeting to Andrius and Sasha :: Thanks
      for your work in the chat room

      Kazankacomfort: Greetings to Andrius and Sasha

      TTAnniversaryCelebration: Sorry we miss you today.

      Kazankacomfort: Sorry we missed you today!

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hello from Chicago! :: I am glad to see you here, are you
      in Nigeria?

      Kazankacomfort: Yes

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi :: I am only here briefly but let's chat!

      Kazankacomfort: Hello

      AndriusKulikauskas: What is your name?

      Kazankacomfort: Kazanka Comfort

      AndriusKulikauskas: My name is Andrius Kulikauskas and I live in Lithuania
      but right now I am visiting my friend David in Chicago, Illinois, USA :: What
      part of Nigeria are you in? :: Are you with Pamela McLean? :: Do you use the
      Internet often?

      Kazankacomfort: Northern Nigeria

      AndriusKulikauskas: Are you in an Internet cafe?

      Kazankacomfort: Yes Pam is with us at the moment in Kafanchan
      FantsuamFoundation.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Please say hello, that is excellent that she has arranged
      this chat.

      Kazankacomfort: We are in one of the lecture halls in Fantsuam.

      AndriusKulikauskas: There is a contest that you might be aware of. Rising
      Voices is offering up to 5,000 USD for small proposals for teaching people
      how to use citizen media such as blogs, especially in their native languages.
      :: See: http://wiki.rising.globalvoicesonline.org/ for more information

      Kazankacomfort: Thanks for the greetings

      AndriusKulikauskas: Do you use email very much? Do you check your email
      often?

      Kazankacomfort: This a very useful information

      AndriusKulikauskas: Please write more about yourself, what are your
      interests? what are you studying?

      Kazankacomfort: What time it is in America?

      AndriusKulikauskas: I lead the Minciu Sodas laboratory for serving and
      organizing independent thinkers around the world.

      TTAnniversaryCelebration: We will be here tomorrow between 3-4 pm nigeria
      time

      AndriusKulikauskas: It is 7:44 am and I need to take a shower and my
      colleague just came in.

      Kazankacomfort: We are a group instructors in Fantsuam and techers in Rural
      Nigeria. Our interest is to see how we call inprove teching computerswith a
      purpose

      TTAnniversaryCelebration: GMT 1400-1500 :: Thanks bye for now

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi again :: Edward Damal is with me and so is David
      Ellison-Bey

      TTAnniversaryCelebration: Greeting to you all

      AndriusKulikauskas: Edward he's a father of my friend Joe and he lent money
      for our laboratory several years ago which I still have to repay :: so we
      discuss that :: so I show him what we are doing.

      Kazankacomfort: We arevery grateful to you! :: Our time is nearly up

      TTAnniversaryCelebration: We are excited hearing from you(mercy) :: this has
      been an overwhelming expirence(sabo) :: we are gresatful for your generous
      support(all) :: hope to join you tomorrow , its good for you to bring ther
      world together :: ofcourse through what you guys are doing :: we will soon
      get cut off :: this omolayo

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi thank you for all of your efforts to connect with us!
      :: You are wonderful! :: and it is so exciting to hear from you :: and learn
      about you :: I encourage us to think independently - to work on our own -
      because our work will bear fruit for all to enjoy :: as you see with Pamela's
      work :: Thanks to Pamela this chat has thrived :: and we have people come from
      around the world :: I don't know if I can come tomorrow but I will try to
      invite more people.

      A Focus is being made on having a wireless internet connection for the
      community to help them have a place for information handling and
      transfer. There is motive of taking risks to help the community Develop.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: