Serina, Tom Ochuka for the hearing impaired in Swahili

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2007
      First, I apologize that I gave the wrong time for the Sunday chat. I confused
      the days... Thank you to Sasha and Fred for trying to attend. Sasha and all,
      if you can, please attend the chat on Monday, November 19, between 8am and 9am
      GMT. I will be asleep.

      Serina, Thank you for your letter! It is great to hear from you and I would
      like to involve you in the COMMUNIA meetings. If you can pay for your
      travel, then you are welcome to attend this upcoming meeting. But I assume
      you need somebody to pay for your travel. Yes, COMMUNIA is giving us 4800
      euros each year to pay for our travel to the workshops. It is likely that we
      will have the April workshop in Lithuania and we will need help to organize
      it. Our topic then is "Ethical Public Domain: Debate of Questionable
      Practices" and we will need moderators for each topic. Perhaps you could
      help with that workshop? It is closer to Sweden where you are so it will cost
      us less. Also, it will give you more time to participate at Minciu Sodas and
      make clear this work on a concrete endeavor you mention. For example, it's
      likely that we will invite Samwel Kongere and Kennedy Owino of Kenya then and
      possibly we could invite Tom Ochuka of Deaf Impact with whom you are working
      together? One topic to consider is the importance of the Public Domain for
      yor project, form the deaf, the hearing impaired, and for audiology

      Also, I encourage you to consider writing a proposal for the Rising Voices
      microgrants on your project of helping the hearing impaired use Swahili as
      their main language, perhaps including to tell their personal stories?

      Hi Andrius,

      I have been quiet for a while ...work press. would love to attend the below
      mentioned workshop in Torino. Could you make a request to COMMUNIA on my
      behalf? On other matters, I'm trying to set up a webpage that will help the
      hearing impaired using Swahili as the main language and trying to get some
      volunteers for DEAF IMPACT. Will write more about it when some progress is

      On Nov 18, 2007 7:41 AM, <ms@...> wrote:

      Hi from Chicago. I share Lorraine Duff's invitation to chat at our
      chat room http://www.worknets.org/chat/base/ I hope that some of us
      make it (I will be sleeping!) I share below today's chat. I'm glad that
      showed up, there were a lot of excited participants.

      Also, today I wrote requests to COMMUNIA that they invite Fred Kayiwa
      Sasha Mrkailo to come to the workshop on "Public Domain and Technology"
      January 18, 2008 in Torino, Italy. Maria Agnese Giraudo and I will also
      represent our lab there. Paolo Pumilia would you like to come? And
      somebody from Binario Etico? Or who else, please let us know! I have
      printed out the Network Agreement and plan to send that out on Monday.
      And I
      purchased 20 flash drives to send to Fred ($10 each plus tax at Office
      so I will send them out next week. And I purchased my tickets to Kansas
      City, Missouri and San Diego, California.

      Let's chat this Thursday, 2:00 pm London time about the Rising Voices
      microgrants for citizen media http://wiki.rising.globalvoicesonline.org
      will be 8:00 am here in Chicago on Thanksgiving morning. I will be