Designing our own economy

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2007
      Welcome to new participants at our Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt
      for independent thinkers. I'm writing this letter to John Roger's working
      group Cyfranogi for participatory society and community currency, but also to
      our working groups Holistic Helping and Working In Parallel and Flu Pandemic.

      In Oaxaca, Mexico I met again with Bob Horn and also signed up several new
      members for our Working In Parallel group. John introduced me to Bob's work
      in visual thinking, the syntax of combining words, pictures and diagrams to
      good effect. http://www.stanford.edu/~rhorn/ It was great to see Bob's
      notebooks from his Mexican travels dating back to the 1980s, a decade before
      he wrote his seminal book. In November and December I plan to work a lot at
      our Working In Parallel group to develop a web interface that would help us
      all collaborate on our many endeavors:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Endeavors
      and our investigations and connect regarding our deepest values:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?PersonalOutlooks
      I would like to organize our endeavors into "ecosystems" which bring them
      together, for example, we have an ecosystem for "effective use of marginal
      Internet access" in which our proposed USB Flash Drive Editor "Includer"
      http://www.includer.org opens a major role for our lab. There are other
      ecosystems that we might diagram which are strategically important for
      independent thinkers, such as for global villages, emergency response, and
      designing our own economy.

      I will write now about our work - especially John's work - in community
      currency design at Cyfranogi, and how it might relate to Lucas Gonzalez's
      interest in pandemic flu response and Asif Daya's interest in malaria
      prevention. John's investigatory question is "How can we create sustainable
      community currencies? What does a sustainable CC look, sound and feel like?!"
      and I think he is interested in currencies that are able to stay viable and
      not raise hopes and then dash them.

      Thank you to Gregory Martin for sparking new discussion at Cyfranogi, and
      thank you to John Rogers, Tom Wayburn, Miguel Yasuyuki Hirota, John Waters
      and Terry Mace for encouraging responses. I spoke a few days ago with John
      and I am also interested to get his and our help to design one or more
      currencies, metrics, strategies, systems. John is writing a book, a
      practical guide to community currency design, and our Cyfranogi group is
      meant to foster his leadership as an investigator and thinker, and so I hope
      he might gain as he helps us think through what kind of currencies we would
      like for our lab, our networks and our own purposes. I will share what I am
      learning of John's approach, but please look to John for the real source!

      John makes ever clear the importance of considering our goals, Why do we want
      to set up a currency? He gives the following five questions to help us think
      through our currency:

      1.What is the operating environment -what forces are working for and against
      us?
      2. How will it be governed - where is the power, and who makes the strategic
      decisions?
      3. How will it be managed - is there an existing management structure into
      which it can be plugged or do we design one from scratch?
      4. What specific design features need to be built into the currency - this is
      the bit that needs the most technical knowledge about pros and cons of 'mutual
      credit', demurrage etc.
      5. Who are the potential participants, what are their goals and aspirations
      etc.

      I find these questions very practical because they go to the heart of the
      power issues. Indeed, they have a broad applicability and so I consider the
      broader question of designing and managing an economy, not simply a currency,
      but also possibly one or more metrics, strategies, systems, relationships, or
      set of currencies.

      At our lab I have found several innovations helpful:
      * We keep a count of how many letters individuals have written in all
      http://www.ms.lt/authors.php and also in the last 90 days (see the pulldowns
      at http://www.ms.lt) This helps me know who are most active and should be
      considered as leaders and might lead working groups.
      * I have started to make explicit our large "gift economy" at
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Gifts and this is helping me understand that
      our lab's gift economy is and perhaps should be much larger than our lab's
      business projects.
      * We have been successful in distributing work in a fractal way, allowing us
      to organize large teams as we did for MyFoodStory http://www.myfoodstory.com

      However, I have also failed in several attempts at community currency:
      * I had available $3,000 to back a community currency for help with
      collecting stories for MyFoodStory but failed to generate interest and
      instead hired Sasha who collected 1250 stories for $1250.

      There are several areas where I would like to make good use of a community
      currency or other economic innovation:
      * I have written about a "workshares" program that we're trying out and
      should better define. The purpose is to be able to send money to Africa in
      exchange for work to be done at a future date when a need for that work
      arises. We need to set this up so that the expectations are clear, there is
      not exploitation and it is simple to do this.
      * We need help programming our online interfaces but even with small funds
      available I've never found much help from open source programmers. How might
      we get their help?
      * I would like to offer a variety of services if not for cash, then as part
      of a gift economy, especially to outsiders, so that we might expand our
      economy. For example, it is not too hard for me to create an archive for any
      existing Yahoo group. I may not be able to find anybody to pay me to do that
      and so its probably not worth pursuing it too seriously businesswise. But if
      I found enough people who valued that service, then perhaps it might lead to
      some kind of work. So I would be happy to do it for free if it was
      acknowledged as part of a gift economy and that those who receive the service
      wanted this gift and were willing to give gifts to others in our gift economy
      and strengthen it. I think there are quite a lot of free services that I and
      others might be able to offer in this way and they could certainly lead to
      pay work but would also expand our networks and help us work with people in
      other networks.
      * Gryte Miseviciene in Pavilnys, Lithuania is interested to set up a local
      community currency to encourage trade of goods and services, some of which
      (like goat milk or cow milk or other foodstuffs) it might not be possible to
      sell legally without the appropriate licenses.
      * I would like to support Lucas Gonzalez's interests in emergency response
      for pandemic flu. I share below my chat with Asif with my ideas so far of
      how we might develop an emergency network. Once we have such a network there
      may be many ways to get funding and related work. Setting up the network the
      power issues that John asks about are very relevant.

      I will be working through John's questions. I invite our help and also to try
      out his questions on our currency ideas. And perhaps they will overlap to
      make for a vibrant economy.

      in Oaxaca, Mexico

      AndriusKulikauskas: Asif, what should our malaria strategy be?

      Asif: Get local people to make sprayed nets - that's self sustaining and
      needed

      AndriusKulikauskas: so that helps, yes? :: are these nets over the beds? or
      the doorways into the houses? :: and what is the usefulness of information?

      Asif: Yes- over the beds

      AndriusKulikauskas: if it is coupled with communication and action then it
      may be useful, yes?

      Asif: Keeps the mosquitoes away for atleast8 hours

      AndriusKulikauskas: I imagine it is a seasonal thing?

      Asif: Also, get local people involved in the transfer of education to
      different sectors of the population based on the malaria severity count on
      the sector given priority :: Yes, it's seasonal - but education could be done
      in the non-season

      AndriusKulikauskas: Lucas is working on the pandemic flu and I think it would
      be good to have some network for emergency communication, basic instructions
      and emergency leadership. :: But I don't know how to approach that.

      Asif: For communication SMS works great

      AndriusKulikauskas: Maybe some kind of simple "tests" done as "games" with
      "rewards". :: Yes, for example an SMS test which lets you earn a free SMS.

      Asif: Yes, that is very plausible

      AndriusKulikauskas: And we might collect SMS phone numbers that way and send
      them out in an emergency. :: We could have an SMS emergency system. ::
      Because it doesn't cost to receive an SMS, yes?

      Asif: Yes

      AndriusKulikauskas: And we could send them locally.

      Asif: It depends in which country you are looking at - SMS costs
      differentials and mechanisms vary

      AndriusKulikauskas: That is something that we could suggest for the Rising
      Voices contest due November 30

      Asif: yes

      AndriusKulikauskas: because the replies could be used for a blog :: we just
      have to find a reward mechanism

      Asif: very interesting

      AndriusKulikauskas: and that we might negotiate with the phone company
      somehow? :: or can we do it without them?

      Asif: No, need them :: Many phone companies are Govt. owned in Africa

      AndriusKulikauskas: or we could credit a village :: and it would be a
      "savings" program for the village

      Asif: with?

      AndriusKulikauskas: we send them 100 dollars if they have 100 people send us
      an SMS

      Asif: will need a grant

      AndriusKulikauskas: we can come up with 100 dollars

      Asif: :-)

      AndriusKulikauskas: and if we show it is effective then we can get
      sponsorship, etc.

      Asif: yes

      AndriusKulikauskas: also the SMS can have a sponsor, commercial or nonprofit

      Asif: that's smart thinking

      AndriusKulikauskas: stumbling along...! :: but I think it would encourage
      communal action

      Asif: i am sure the churches would like to add a prayer

      AndriusKulikauskas: great yes :: yes it could be church to church donatiosn
      :: one church would give another church 100 USD :: ok I will run now!

      Asif: theree are lots of churches and ministries in Africa :: ok - bye - nice
      chatting.

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes and we could help link them to churches in the US ::
      thanks this is great :: also you can "brand" your group as you like
      (including Trainerspod) but the subject should be clearly your "deepest
      value" so we know what that is

      Asif: that's true :: i believe everyone deserves a good education and to
      progress as far as they like in it :: i'll see ya' - take care - have fun in
      Chicago