Helping Andrius propose the Flash Drive Editor

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
      Ricardo,

      Thank you for your great letters and fantastic help!

      Greetings to all from Maria Agnese Giraudo's home in Santa Marinella, near
      Rome, Italy, where I am staying with Sasha Mrkailo.

      I ask for our help as I write a proposal for the Hastac Initiative supported
      by the MacArthur Foundation.
      http://www.dmlcompetition.net/innovation.php
      I will be working on that here:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Hastac
      My proposal is due October 15th. I am proposing that we create a USB Flash
      Drive Editor: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FlashDriveEditor

      It's late so I will write more tomorrow. Ricardo, I ask for your help. I
      researched the expected power usage, see:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Batteries
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Power
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Linseed
      Here are the numbers I have, but I should keep checking:

      < 2.5 watts for the Linseed processor (and perhaps more for the rest of the
      board?)
      < 1 watt for the display in use
      75 watt for each USB flash drive in use
      < .6 watt for the keyboard
      01 watt for each USB standby

      It's probably an average of 3.5 watts or so. Note that the One Laptop Per
      Child laptop is using, or aiming to use, 2 watts.

      One AA battery provides a total of about 4 watt hours. One D battery
      provides about 31 watt hours. Although it seems that if a lot of power is
      used, then the battery is less efficient. So if a D battery is providing 1
      watt (and 4 are providing 4 watts), then they will last only 10 hours
      http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/EtanMarciano.shtml

      For comparison, a typical used computer uses 150 watts and so 3 AA batteries
      would power it for 5 minutes. Whereas an AlphaSmart Neo uses .018 watts and
      so 3 AA batteries power it for 700 hours.

      So if we have 4 D batteries then it can run for a maximum of 35 hours and
      possibly only 10 hours. Each D battery costs at least $1- $3 and a
      rechargeable costs at least $10.

      Ricardo, is that the end of the story? Is that viable? Any thoughts on how
      to improve the situation? Are we able to use a simpler processor?

      We had a very encouraging meeting at Binario Etico
      http://www.binarioetico.org and they can teach us trashware assembly skills
      and also electronics assembly skills at an inexpensive rate. A total of
      about 2,000 euros for teaching two 1 month courses, one in trashware, one in
      hardware hacking. We would design a course together and they would teach our
      African participants who would come to Italy. Also, in the first proposal I
      would include $3600 to rent an office in Nairobi 1km from the Kibera slums,
      where we would have a safe place in an apartment building, as Kennedy Owino
      envisions, where guests could stay and we could store the computer parts and
      assemble them.

      I spoke today with Samwel Kongere (for the first time!) and was greatly
      encouraged by his support for the main point of the USB Flash Drive Editor,
      which is that it would compete favorably with new or used laptops for which
      people are spending $300, $600 even $1,000. Note that in Kenya only 10% of
      the people have electricity, and only 2% in rural areas. (Although
      electricity is coming to Rusinga Island!)

      Samwel also encouraged me on another point, which is that the devices would
      be worth more - and could command higher prices - if they were assembled in
      part locally as we have started to imagine. I believe this because the
      device is not only valuable in its own right but it is also a chance to learn
      valuable skills and to work with a network of people who can teach those
      skills. Large customers (say, the Peace Corps, Red Cross, WHO, etc.) will
      certainly value the options to get training, upgrading, fixing, maintenance,
      customization and also the option to buy in whatever quantities they need,
      large or small. Small customers such as individual supporters will I think
      likewise appreciate the opportunity to learn, share, apply, sell various
      skills. I think there is a market for this device even at $400. This means
      that instead of finding a manufacturer to do a production run of 200 or so,
      it is possible to buy and ship the parts to Nairobi and have them assembled
      by our participants. As the numbers increase, it is possible to keep getting
      better prices for the components and also to keep fine tuning variations on
      the design.

      Ricardo, I also wonder if you might join me and three or four or five of our
      African participants for a one month course in Rome, Italy? Perhaps you
      might come and help teach us and help think through the various designs? We
      would of course pay you. Please think because I am writing our proposal. Of
      course you will also be welcome in Africa.

      Much more to write. Also, I will need CVs from Samwel Kongere, Kennedy
      Owino, Fred Kayiwa and who else might be interested? Who might we include
      from Tanzania? Also, we need to be sure to include women.

      Samwel and I agreed that he will come to Europe for the April meeting of
      Communia. We both agreed that it would be great if Fred Kayiwa might come to
      Torino, Italy for the January, 2008 meeting. Fred, let's starting thinking
      about your trip if you are interested and gather everything you need for a
      visa!

      I also asked Samwel:
      * to write to us about the many networks and projects he is participating in
      * to "work openly" as much as possible, for example, about the website that
      he is working on with Ricardo for Rusinga Island, so that people can observe
      how we are working together and we might integrate them where possible
      * to involve more people locally (our Uyogans in Tanzania are a great
      example!) although Agnese pointed out the great language barriers in that few
      people know English in Rusinga Island and the local language Lou is local and
      thus not necessarily interesting for online community. But please, let's
      learn how we might engage thinkers locally.

      Maria Agnese Giraudo is providing 450 euros for Samwel to take a 14 week
      networking course in Nairobi. This will be a great foundation for organizing
      the computer network at his center and also for future work in wi-fi,
      trashware and with the flash drive editor. Agnese wishes to provide this
      through our Minciu Sodas laboratory for work that Samwel might do. Samwel
      agreed that we will organize this through our "work share" system that we
      will set up. He will do five months of part-time work for us. One of these
      will be dedicated to helping Uyoga and we will discuss the others.

      As I write our Flash Drive Editor proposal for the Hastac Innovation awards,
      I will need people who can write recommendations. Who do we suggest? Peter
      Kaminski (CTO of SocialText) is a veteran of our lab and acclaimed as a coder
      and entrepreneur, and he has helped us at his wiki which I still have to
      follow up on:
      http://www.eu.socialtext.net/peterkaminski/index.cgi?cheap_and_portable_word_processor
      Jerry Michalski is also a champion of our lab and he is a key networker in
      Silicon Valley. Janet Feldman has a profound understanding of the real needs
      in Africa. Samwel Kongere can vigorously explain the needs we are addressing
    • ms@ms.lt
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
        The bottom of my letter was cut off, so here it is... Andrius

        Samwel Kongere can vigorously explain the needs we are addressing. And we
        worked for Greg Wolff on My Food Story. We need three letters of
        recommendation.

        Also, Davide Lamanna of Binario Etico said that motherboards from old
        computers are available at basically no cost. However, they do use a lot of
        power. So we will work on many routes I think in our ecosystem.

        We need a name that sounds good. I like the idea of "Includer" and also
        Ricardo's "Digital multiplier". How would they sound in Kiswahili? or Lou?
        We could use African names. Or what would you suggest? Also, I had a thought
        that the devices should be hand painted so that they are truly unique, hand
        crafted both inside and outside, and alive with local spirit reflecting the
        place where they are assembled, and there will be many such places I hope.

        Finally, I will be traveling to Chicago on October 12, then to Mexico City on
        October 22, then to Oaxaca, Mexico for a high-tech retreat, then back to
        Chicago on November 12 and back to Rome on December 11 and then home to
        Vilnius. I'm interested in Chicago to help David Ellison-Bey set up his
        computer and projector for video bridges. Also, I would like to work with
        Time Dollar Tutoring
        http://www.connectchicago.net/TechnologyCenter.aspx?id=154 regarding our
        trashware projects and electronic assembly for the flash drive editor.

        Samwel, Kennedy and all, it would be great to have your thoughts on the Flash
        Drive Editor, whether you agree with me or not, about its significance. That
        will be very useful for our proposal.

        Ricardo it would be great to talk soon!

        +370 699 30003
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
          Dear Andrius and All,

          I am delighted to hear that you are working on this grant, as I checked it out too (when posted to the Rising Voices forum) and thought of us immediately. I assumed this would be a case of great minds thinking alike, haha!

          I also sent this to our planning taskforce of the Global Youth Coalition on HIV/AIDS, as we (I say as an adult ally) are doing some exciting and valuable work addressing HIV/AIDS in the e-learning context.

          Your questions and concerns are good ones, Andrius, and Asif has also given some important feedback today. One thing you say, which I want to highlight, is of utmost importance: the inclusion and co-leadership of women!

          Who do we have among us (ie women, in the communities) who can be involved? Helen perhaps, and some of the women whose Sam's project are helping/serving? Women will be, and need to be, some of the primary users of ICTs in this setting, but too often they are still overlooked (in part because of the gender inequalities which still exist). We can change that, at least in our work, and thanks to all for your support and sensitivity to this subject.

          I will be delighted and honored to provide a letter of support and/or recommendation. Shall I consider that a definite, or wait for an update from you, Andrius?

          Thanks to Maria Agnese for being the "hostess with the mostess", and Andrius and Sasha, please give her some huge hugs for me!! With greatest enthusiasm, encouragement, and blessings, Janet

        • ms@ms.lt
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
            Janet,

            YES! I'm delighted that you might recommend our lab's proposal.
            I should write up a summary version tonight for the Knight News Challenge so
            you will see the heart of my intent. http://newschallenge.org It's not a
            lot of work so I encourage us to submit our ideas for ideas that:
            * use digital technology (such as computers and cameras)
            * are innovative and original in some way
            * gives people access to news that they want to know
            * delivers the news while it is still fresh and timely
            * creates a sense of community for a group of people
            * has an impact in a specific location

            I need the three letters of recommendation for the Hastac Innovation awards
            which are also due October 15th http://www.dmlcompetition.net/innovation.php
            You have agreed, and I also ask Asif Daya and I ask Ricardo, too, thank you
            for all of your work on the technical feasability and the overall ecosystem.

            Note also that there is a Hastac Knowledge Networking Award that I encourage
            participants in our network to apply for
            http://www.dmlcompetition.net/networking.php I am not able to apply for both
            awards (an unfortunate restriction) but I suggest that Kennedy Owino and/or
            Sasha Mrkailo submit the idea of two bases in Nairobi. One would be the
            office "safe house" for $300 per month which we're already working towards in
            Nairobi about 1 km from the Kibera slums as a place for working on the
            trashware and having a place for our participants to stay. But is it
            possible to pay additionally for broadband Internet access there? If not,
            then it would be good to have a second location (perhaps a part-time office)
            somewhere in Nairobi where we could do video bridges with Austria, Lithuania,
            Italy, Chicago and other parts of our global network. Kennedy and Samwel
            please reply soon if we might submit such an idea. I can try to help write
            it.

            Ricardo, please, let us talk soon how you might participate in tour flash
            drive editor project. I still need to sign up Davide Lamanna of Binario
            Etico for our Mendenyo group, but we seem to have a hardware team, with them
            here in Rome as our advisors and with Samwel Kongere, Kennedy Owino, Fred
            Kayiwa all keen to come to Italy and Lithuania to learn the skills. Ricardo,
            we are planning two one-month courses, one for trashware basics, and the other
            for more advanced electronics hacking. It would be great if you might be in
            Italy for the second course, I will be too. And to help teach and advise as
            we work through the possibilities for the flash drive editor. Or you could
            come for a week or two. It would be great to talk.

            Yes, we definitely need to invest our resources to include and encourage
            women in Africa as independent thinkers is ICT and all subjects. We're
            blessed with wonderful examples of women leaders. I think of you, Pamela
            McLean, Maria Agnese Giraudo and Joy Tang through who I met you. Helen,
            please write more about your interests, your vision and your current
            situation. Are you interested to learn computer assembly, electronics
            assembly and to sell and service computers? Could you share with others in
            Uyoga what you learn? Might you represent Uyoga at a trashware course in
            Italy?

            I also think we should definitely include a representative of Actwid
            Kongadzem in Cameroon because of their longstanding interest in computers and
            wireless Internet access. Wendi, please, could you send us for the Public
            Domain descriptions of five or ten of your participants so we could learn
            more about them? How are they helping others? How would they like to?
            Perhaps they know... what is their deepest value in life that includes all of
            their other values? Perhaps they know... What is a question that they don't
            know the answer to, but wish to answer? We would like to know each of you as
            "independent thinkers" and work to include you in our network.

            Samwel, likewise, we are interested to learn about your participants! We
            invite all interested to send us their names and something about themselves
            for posting at our Worknets wiki in the Public Domain.

            Pamela, also we would be blessed with such answers from your participants in
            Teachers Talking and I look forward to our Thursday chat next week.

            Yes, Agnese is a wonderful host! and I enjoy getting to know Sasha. Today we
            hope to visit the Vatican.

            +370 699 30003
            Vilnius, Lithuania

            -----------------------------

            Hi Andrius,
            Congratulations for all you and others are
            brainstorming and doing.
            Please i am interested in the African name for the
            flash drives as you have suggested. So my own name is
            FOMONYUY.
            Accept greetings from all of us at ACTWID KONGADZEM
            RURAL WOMENS NGO. We all pray for you all to succeed
            in all your endevours on our behalf.
            Sincerely, Wendi and members

            ----------------------------

[...]

            Project Title:

            Requested amount from Knight News Challenge:

            Expected amount of time to complete project:

            Total cost of project, including all sources of funding:

            Describe your project: (325 words)

            Who would want to use it, and why? (125 words)

            Why are you the best person or organization to develop this project?

            Upload up to 5 files of supporting material.
          • samuel kongere
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007
              Hi all and Andrius,

              When I joined Miniciu Sodas Lab in 2005 my main aim was to do the transformation of my community and others; through information sharing; my aims were to uplift the lives of the rural poor by giving them appropriate and relevant information in order to make them informed, able to make their own decisions that could transform their lives. We didn’t have much knowledge about computers and how communication can be transferred using computers. After my introduction on the importance of thinking as an independent thinker, I came, to realize the importance of information transfer and handling.

              I did this through putting hands on basic ICT skills, involved in computer services distribution of doing many community interviews and understanding the whole community set up, promoting reading in primary schools (when I volunteered with Christian children fund), dissemination of information to fishermen, families and other community members and development of skills in computer applications to youths. The Community Based Organizations around here are now getting relevant information to enable them improve their knowledge to communication and networking.

              We have been able to mobilze women to do ICT training and are now developing small scale business plans in ICT related tasks for financing by the Micro- finance organizations. The idea is to have them develop ICT related businesses- most probably business kiosks or access point to open the rural and the Lake region to information transfer and handling advocacy.

              Today's increasingly technocratic world is in constant search of innovative ways to keep both man and machine in harmonious existence. Enormous amounts of e-waste generated from out-of-use electronic machines are becoming a serious global problem. Yet, this has to be seen as inevitable within the growing demand-in-need framework of technological and communicative development. What is most required today is a search for ways that could meet people cost efficiently with their advanced aspirations and needs, certainly in a minimal hazardous way. It is a national call to have these waste used in another way such re-assembling the equipment or innovating new software for under developed countries. Flash drive Editor is one way to solve the information transfer hurdle in Africa .

              I would add that, if people want to transfer files to a PC, they can use a cheap adaptor, which looks like a USB Flash Drive . Putting resources on the flash drive editor is very instrumental for our people here in Africa . This innovative is good and if approved can help us transfer information at the same time save millions of dollars to the world bank in getting necessary information for development and assistance to the developing countries. Considering the power shortage in our countries, fluctuations of power; we can work with flash drive editor offline in fields, collecting information, use bikes to send the content with one or two persons to an internet point and this information will reach the rest of the world in time.

              I really approve the innovative to have a flash drive editor for our African independent thinkers and there is no move to reduce or to undermine the strength taken to make this a reality to us. It is going to serve as a laptop which is costing 400 USD to 1200 USD in Kenya . We must produce many to cut in the costs.
              Andrius I will send you my CV today in your private mail.

              Bye!
              Sam.

              ms@... wrote:
[...]

              http://www.ms. lt