Re: [holistichelping] Know

  • lucas.gonzalez@canarias.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 20 6:12 AM
      Jeff and all,

      It looks like the plot thickens; i.e., we need to take many factors into consideration, and we're doing just that.

      Now I see why you want to document the process on wikipages, create the big picture with all the details before moving too fast, and outreaching to others who are good at specific things (e.g. moving computers around). Please consider Linux User Groups (and probably ours specifically) as a probable asset in this regard, as a source of "refurbished oldish computers with a mission". You're on your way to providing a clear picture of "the mission". We need to get in touch with people good at moving computers around, and some fund-raising. Yes, it does start to look like a wikipage. A bit like one of those "I'll pay if you pay" pledges, in the making.

      I can help with our local LUG, if that's seen to be helpful. As I said, my geek friends are finishing their exams and soon we'll be able to know how many computers, how old, how useful, etc. And, if I may insist, there's a LUG in Kenya:
      * http://www.linux.org/groups/kenya.html

      Lucas

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25 8:25 AM
        Dear Jeff, Lucas, Andrius, Janet and All,

        I presume we are doing the right job for mbita and wish to join the global limelight concerning information and technology. We are very much impressed with the different comments the people in our lab are taking to see that a combined effort is put to have Mbita in the global limelight and this is very suitable for marketing and hence community development as a whole.

        We are working together with Ken to see things are in place for the proposals made. Our hope as always is to see that we become the next global village with the ICT service deemed for international development, it is an excellent conference to see people wonder on how to help the less previleged in the globe. It was exciting and very interesting. The good thing about it, was that all the pieces  of mind were there to bring thinking together in  technology unity development, the packed programme, the people from all over. It built a sense of community that has not happened before. We really treasure the thoughts brought in by Lucas and we are looking forward to see the thought come true when we indulge in global sharing.

        Somebody tells me Africa information revolution is wireless and this tells me that Local social information network has no boundary and this is why when people give information and hope to compare development is good in our lab. The question is, are we able to get funds to finalise our dream in Mbita? Or are we on the oughing that things are talked and never reach compromises? Think loud as we are independent thinkers. Is there anybody against the wish of many? We better concentrate and do one project and ride on to see the sense of the forum discussion.

        Helmut

         I wish you will come clear I am preparing the mail for the project we are running together with you and Andrius. Be specific as the base line survey is near completion and your proWiki version in English should be received to make me have the full details. I am always thinking loud and this is what makes the man ou of me.

        Andrius

        I am very much happy to receive your short notes and i am much hoping to succeed, I am about to be through with the drawing of the map and you know much of my efforts are lost when I walk 10 km to write reports, I just wanted a bit more value to help me have portable laptop which can be used anywhere when work is on, I will contact you for away out.

        Janet

        I am through with the form and sent it to Caroline, I am still waiting to get her reply for the completed form. We are going to work with Ken In Grass up Now, I wanted to meet James and Francis when they came to Mbita, we missed one another, haha! I wanted to know if I can help you as one of your secretaries doing something as Andrius had suggested for me. I not very committed now that i am doing part time work for CCF here. There is also good news that electricity is now here and having computers here is paramount and destined to succeed may be putting the said project in the proposal  to be in Phases, we can divide the Idea in phases as you suggested.

        Jeff

        I believe by now you have received my proposal copy from Janet but I can still send it accross to you today I hope you get it and Advice for implementation. When I was writing it, we never had power but now there is electricity and putting the project here is well felt.

        Thanks to all willing to see that we succeed in the Idea of Eco Village learning center.

        From
        Samwel

        * http://groups. yahoo.com/ search?query= kenya+linux& submit=Search (4 groups)
        * http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/kenyalinux / (the one I'm subscribed at, 222 members)

> [...]

        > > I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm
        > not at
        > > all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some
        > > affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever.
        > > looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly
        > useful,
        > > but might try again.
        > >
        > > I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to
        > "local
        > > reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments
        > about this
        > > on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in
        > this
        > > regard. Resilience.
        > >
        > > I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or
        > Henry
        > > Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        Computer specielist
        Community Development

        Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much more to come.

      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2006
          Masimba,

          Thought the links below might be of interest to you:

          Changemakers.org is now accepting applications for a contest on low cost
          housing http://www.changemakers.net/journal/300606/

          Paul Cohen <http://www.ashoka.org/fellows/viewprofile3.cfm?reid=97498>
          an Ashoka fellow has been pioneering low cost building technologies in
          South Africa.

          Keep in touch.

          Jeff Buderer
          oneVillage Foundation

          > Dear Andrius,
          >
          > In reference to the discussion below, I just want to
          > find out whwther Nikos Salingaros will be interested
          > in doing some write up on Zimbabwe.
          >
          > We have interesting (weell sad) developments over the
          > past two years with regards housing for the poor.
          >
          > Government, last year, demolished all the shanties in
          > the urban areas of Zimbabwe, leaving over 700,000
          > people homeless. The argument of government was that
          > it wanted to make housing livable for the poor.
          >
          > Now, they are in the process of constructing low-cost
          > housing for the poor.
          >
          > The level of the destruction of shanties is
          > incidentally the biggest in the world.
          >
          > If Nikos is interested on more information, I need to
          > know what exactly he is looking for, otherwise
          > Zimbabwe makes an interesting case in this respect.
          >
          > Thank You
          >
          > God Bless
          >
          > Masimba Biriwasha
          >
          > > Andrius: Another topic to work on is helping Nikos
          > Salingaros,> he is writing a paper on how to make
          > social housing livable.
          > >
          > > Samwel: i had such information in my interview
          > >
          > > Andrius: Yes, very good. :: Do you have housing for
          > the
          > > poor in Kenya?
          > >
          > > Samwel: Ihave seen such
          > >
          > > Andrius: One thing to study is how poor people live
          > in slums
          > > and in state housing.
          >
          > I have a strong feeling that every person owes it to him/herself, and
          to the cause which he is serving to keep their body strong and healthy,
          for better or worse, for disappointments and for trying positions.