eLearning Africa 2008 (Ghana): Jeff, Prince, All/Krishna

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hello Dear Jeff, Prince, and All!

      Great to hear from you both, and delighted about Prince's report on the conference, especially your strengthened determination to address the obvious challenges you have described, not only of bringing ICTs to rural areas, but also giving those at the grassroots a proper voice at conferences on the subject in Europe and other developed countries.

      I have something to post for you, Prince, which may be of interest to everyone. It is a report about KAIPPG (the HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit in Kenya whose international branch I run in the USA) and its ICTs activities, which in particular address lack of infrastructure in rural areas, poverty, and other pertinent issues.

      You may find some of what we are doing to be informative for your own ideas and plans in Ghana, Prince, and also for others addressing these matters, as KAIPPG is based in rural western Kenya, is mainly an agricultural community where there is much poverty and lack of services, including healthcare, and where malnutrition and HIV/AIDS are perennial challenges.

      We have found ways to surmount some of the infrastructure issues, and to address the challenges I mentioned via use of ICTs--in particular for women--and we are always eager to learn as well, so look forward to hearing how others have approached these challenges too!

      On what Jeff has said below, this is a funny coincidence:   I am actually thinking of Dr Osei Darkwa of Patriensa's (Ghana) Asante Akim Multipurpose Community Telecentre, one of the first of its kind.  But Krishna Alluri of COL introduced GRASSUP NOW partners to Collins Osei of the Crops Research Institute (CGIAR-linked!), who coincidentally is a GenARDIS award winner (a grant program focusing on women, agriculture, and technology).

      This is a note from Collins abt his work, and I am ccing him too (hi Collins!!):
      "I am interested in joining the team to write the abstract. I am a former GenARDIS grantee and has also been involved in a village project in Ghana that is trying to improve womens access to agricultural
      information via ICTs."

      That's excellent that Collins visited Winneba, and I hope that all of you will meet--including Marco (hello and thanks for the intro, Jeff!)--at or before the conference!  Marco, we're eager to hear your thoughts on the conference, e-learning, wireless, and more.

      I am now ccing Osei Darkwa, Hisenburg Togba (of MOPGEL, which provides ICTs-related and e-learning opportunities to people at the Buduburam Refugee Camp in Accra), and Jeremiah Burgess of SHIFSD (Self-Help Initiatives for Sustainable Development), also at the Camp. I had bcc'd them before (so their addresses would not show up publicly), but I think it's time everyone knew each other's addresses. I am adding Collins, Prince, Kafui, and Jeff too (so we can hit "reply all").

      I love the idea of collaborating, Jeff and all, and hope we can do that!   I thought I'd cc Krishna too at this point, as he links us together in a special way, seeing as COL is providing support through its PROTEIN program for OVF/Winneba (Jeff, Kafui), and COL is now also a link between Pam McLean (CAWD-Nigeria and Kenya), David Mutua (CAWD-Kenya), and John Dada (Fantsuam Foundation, Nigeria)--who work together--and the GRASSUP NOW partners in Kenya.

      I have just introduced Pam and David to the GRASSUP partners--also mentioning OVF in that context as well (both your past and possible future involvement)--and perhaps discussions and any resulting collaboration might be a link or even a model for how to approach synergies among us in Ghana.  And vice-versa, haha!

      On that smiley and excited note will close with greatest thanks and blessings, and look forward to e-learning and growing--in Ghana and throughout the globe--together! Janet

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
        Dear Janet, Jeff, Prince and All.
        Thanks Janet for giving more information of the networks and possible collaboration suggestions.

        For those don't have info about what i am coming from and do, my greatest interests are ICT4 development and education, I worked in Nigeria for 4 1/2 years initially 2 years as a VSO Volunteer and Project manager, that i helped established the COL/IITA supported Community Information Center - Farmers project in Ago - Are, later i moved to Fantsuam Foundation as their Project Manager and CawdNet (CAWD Network) National Coordinator in Nigeria the time Pam (TT Course developer), John Dada and I worked together on the first Teachers Talking at Fantsuam Foundation and i coordinated another COL supported project - Solar Cooking and the impact of videos in distance learning.

        I decided to relocate back in Kenya mid last year (2006) and started developing/establishing a programme that can build a transnational collaboration with friends, organizations and contacts i made out there to replicate and build on the experiences and ideas earned overtime through what Janet refers to CAWD -Kenya.
        Our (Charity for African Welfare and Development -
        CAWD) first project in Kenya is the Teacher Talking
        (TT), a training for teachers about ICT's that enables
        them to share with colleagues, pupils, communities and
        build their professional (Professional development).
        The TT Project has involved 28 schools in community,
        schools and other
        stakeholders consultation on ICT's and Education,
        ICT4 Education awareness, basic ICT Training workshop
        and six months Online discussion meetings.

        In Kenya, we've planned to establish Community Learning
        Information and Communication center (CLICC) programme that will
        coordinate/facilitate ICT based quality formal and informal
        learning/education and development projects in rural
        communities, such projects are Agriculture, Women,
        Health, Water and Environment and Youths, coordinated
        fully by the locals.

        The first TT Kenya team is doing local research
        collecting evidence of need through reports, lists
        (names) of indicated interest of ICT skills by their
        colleagues, need for Community Learning Center that
        facilitates ICT enabled training and development in
        Kangundo District, these will be communicated during
        TT meetings and online discussions.

        The whole district has over 50 secondary schools and
        one higher education institution established by the
        Catholic church, the Holy Rosary College, this is the
        place we conducted the TT Kenya training workshop and
        will be having our monthly meetings until we have our
        center, it is affiliated to Jomo Kenyatta University
        of Agriculture and Technology, the college offers
        secretarial studies and CISCO based IT courses, this
        the only place where we have Internet connectivity in
        the whole District, some of the teachers during the
        training and to attend the meeting travel 20km to the
        college from their schools. The challenges we are
        facing is that we pay for their accommodation and
        Internet connection very expensive rates because its
        the only one, there is little space and cant have full
        access of facilities because of students, sometimes
        when power goes we cant have the generator on,
        coordinating their staff to assist is difficult
        because we have no authority over the place and its
        located at the farthest end of the district near
        Nairobi abit urban not reaching the real rural schools
        and communities.

        We have around 10 schools those have at least one
        computer and lack well trained staff to maintain and
        offer quality ICT education, the schools hire
        outsiders to advise, install, train and maintain their
        systems, these outsiders are quit commercial and have
        no interests in building/developing a sustainable ICT
        based education system.

        We believe CAWD -Kenya with other interested partners
        is capable of developing a programme run by teachers
        (education expertise) and community development
        activists/thinkers that facilitates/coordinates ICT
        education and development in rural schools and
        communities.

        Just a personal opinion/suggestion, i think we need
        to look at ways of facilitating a well structured
        online and may be a F2F meeting (with agenda) at the E-Learning 2008
        Conference to discuss a
        well thought ideas on common areas of interest and
        concerns that will be able to consider addressing
        common needs, sharing our strengths and expertise and
        building common working groups.

        Welcome all, lets join efforts and make the change.

        With kind regards,

        David Mutua
        TT Kenya Project Manager and Coordinator
        CAWD Regional Coordinator and Returned VSO Volunteer.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
          Hi Janet and everyone,

          Thank you Janet for these introductions.

          I am thinking how best we can all explore our various interests to find areas of overlap.  I suggest we try to get together for an on-line chat.

          If anyone is available at such sort notice, I invite you to join me tomorrow (this Thursday October 4th). Thanks to Andrius I have started holding regular e-meetings on the first Thursday in the month at the WorkNet chat room. The usual starting time is16:00 Kenya time, 14:00 London, 9:00 New York.  which I know is a bit early for some people in USA, but that time is not too late for our friends in East Africa (who have to travel to cyber cafes and may well have difficulties getting home after dark.)

          This week I am planning to look at collaboration, (initially focusing on the TT Kenya project and how we can collaborate with the participants - to everyone's benefit).  However the topic of collaboration can cover much more that TT Kenya.  We can include whatever projects are dear to the heart of people who attend - as long as we all as focus on collaboration. There will probably be people in the chat room for a couple of hours. Call in whenever suits you. We usually start off in an informal way - then get more focussed, with the help of a chairman - and finish up with more informal chat and networking opportunities.

          Prince - ref groups and your planned work in Ghana - I hope to give you a proper reply - maybe there will be
          an opportunity in the chat room - or at the next audiographic meeting - or please contact me off list to arrange a Skype call.

          Pam

        • subscribe@studynook.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
            Hi Janet:

            I have been trying to get the train system that my colleagues were working on to be more effective, but we need to be more consistent and could use more partners (for Kenya) - where we go via a train and reach each village and provide healthcare, but would now like to introduce ICTs and proper drinking supply of water and a septic/sanitary system. The healthcare issues have been a lot about mother and child care, childbirth healthy delivery, sanitation and malaria. We are interested in someone providing us the nets so that we may distribute them (for anti-malaria). Hence, if we can figure out a way to join forces, that would be great.

            Asif Daya.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
              Pam and All:

              TrainersPod has an upcoming Webinar on the 11th of OCT on "Collaboration". That may be of further interest to you ALL. It covers schools and workplace and also via the internet. Just an FYI.

              Asif

              On 02/10/2007, Janet Feldman <kaippg@earthlink. net> wrote:

[...]

            • Prince Obiri-Mainoo
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
                I have something to post for you, Prince, which may be of interest to everyone. It is a report about KAIPPG (the HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit in Kenya whose international branch I run in the USA) and its ICTs activities, which in particular address lack of infrastructure in rural areas, poverty, and other pertinent issues.

                Hello Janet,

                Were you going to post a link for me to read the report? If so, there was no link in your mail. I have already visited Dr. Osei Darkwa's AAMCT at www.petriensa.com to see what new thing is going on. Once again, I was impressed and has sent him a letter to that effect. I am looking forward to reading about the impact of AAMCT's initiative has had on the people and the community. Thanks and good night!

                Prince

                Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
[...]

                Prince M. Obiri-Mainoo
                M. Ed. (Technology in Education)
                Executive Director

                National Africa Foundation
                http://www.nationalafricafoundation.org
                P. O. Box 30237
                Worcester, MA 01602-0237
                U. S. A.

                Tel: + 1 508-425-4614
                Fax: +1 (508) 949-3222

                E-mail: nationalafrica@...

                Your gifts and abilities could become lasting legacies for generations to come. Use them now to bless humanity!

                “Only the best is good enough for Africa” Rev. Dr. James E. Kwegyir Aggrey (1875-1927) -An eminent Ghanaian clergy, missionary, educationist and visionary!