Re: [mendenyo] Re: [holistichelping] Thanks Sam for Welcoming Ronald!

  • David mutua
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Dear Janet, Sam, Ronald and All.
      Janet, thanks for the introduction and connecting us, i have actually met (F2F) most of the Kenyan team you mentioned below,I met Ronald,Fred and Dennis Kimambo in Uganda at the Omidyar meeting in Gulu.
      Ronald, its nice to hear from you and welcome to the team,lets explore ways of sharing ideas and developing collaboration strategies using the groups and the initiative mentioned by Sam.
      I am working on developing a project i call Community Learning, Information and Communication center (CLICC),this are ICT enabled development structures in communities that offer quality formal and informal learning/educational opportinities enabled through F2F training, Distance Learning and e-learning tools linked with Learning expertise,Institutions and education focused bodies. The CLICC also facilitates/coordinates community projects such as Educationhealth, Agriculture, water, women, Environment, volunteering and youths through local coordinating groups.

      Welcome.

      David.

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
      Dear Sam, Ronald, and All,
      Sam, thanks so much for this lovely welcome to Ronald, who has come from ActALIVE (the arts coalition I founded in 2002). Ronald and I in turn met through Omidyar.net, and he knows (via O/net) another new member of Holistic Helping, who is a good friend of mine, community activist, Dennis Kimambo (in Nakuru).
      Ronald, you might indeed want to join Sam's group!  I first met Sam when we were working together on the first World AIDS Marathon, held in Mbita, and Dennis was also in that working group. Sam came to Holistic Helping and the other groups linked with Minciu Sodas (a Laboratory for Independent Thinkers, based in Lithuania)-- including now his own working group, Mendenyo--through these mutual connections.
      Sam heads the Udogo Youth Development project, in addition to what he has mentioned below, and Sam and other members in these forums from Kenya and Tanzania started the Uyoga group, also focusing on youth development.
      Tom Ochuka of Deaf Impact Ministry in Kisumu is a friend who is doing invaluable work to help people in Kisumu who are deaf, and there is a good corps of others who I/we hope to link in here from Kisumu. Charles Aboge of the Kisumu Children's Centre--and a member of the MS forum, Globalvillages- -is one.
      Many of our efforts have been invaluably assisted by Maria Agnese Giraudo, an Italian librarian with a strong interest in the use of ICTs, publishing on demand, and education, especially as these relate to Africa.  Maria was introduced to us by Andrius Kulikauskas, founder/director of Minciu Sodas (www.ms.lt).
      Ken Owino of Nafsi Afrika Acrobats (Nairobi) was introduced to us via Maria Agnese, and David Mutua (Nairobi) is a member of several forums here, including Learning From Each Other--with a focus on ICTs and E-Learning-- whose moderator is Pam McLean of CAWD (Committee for African Welfare and Development) , who is UK-based, with its work is Nigeria.
      CAWDnet is the network of CAWD-related activities and projects, and Teachers Talking is one such project. This has been active in Nigeria, and is now branching out into Kenya. David Mutua is head of CAWD-Kenya, and he and Pam have recently been involved in organizing a "Teachers Talking" get-together in Kenya, where Pam visited.
      In any interesting linkage, CAWD and my own affiliated nonprofit in Kenya--KAIPPG Kenya in Mumias(www.kaippg.org) -- are both working with The Commonwealth of Learning, which has urged us recently to discuss ways of working together, via the Teachers Talking project and perhaps other initiatives.
      Ronald, did you get to the O/net meeting in Uganda?  You may have met Dennis there, and also Fred Kayiwa, a Ugandan student who has started his own computer club there, and is also interested in a variety of subjects, from bee-keeping to youth activism on HIV/AIDS.
      Hopefully there will be many lively discussions and projects we can work on together, and that all Kenyans (and hopefully Tanzanian and other members) will indeed have a meeting soon!
      With all best wishes and greatest blessings, Janet

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007

        Hello Janet and Others,

        Looking at the fact that I am going to be in Ghana for a longer duration and would bw working with teachers to introduce and promote some eLearning programs to them, I think that your Talking with Teachers forum might also be a good fit, if not better for my Ghanaian audience.
        Please, let me know what you think and if possible send me a link to join. Thanks!

        Prince