Re: [holistichelping] Know

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
      Dear JEFF, JANET, ANDRIUS AND ALL,

      First I must say that through this group I have got much more information and people are very eager in our group to see that we succeed in Mbita.Great...haha!, this is what we have been looking for and those combrades who were with me at the Africa Source II are grateful friends......And having them here is very much pleasure to me, they are making this forum active and lively.

      I am not trying to swift thoughts but trying to say that having a project envisioned for Mbita is great to me and the community that I serve. Janet I say that having the proposal copy given to Jeff through you is a great thought and I will see that the idea that I have is taken care of at the forum of exchange of thoughts. Jeff, I must say the propject I dea which I had before since 1996 to date is the idea I am putting forward.

      ......And saying so together with Janet and the rest is great having Mbita as the resourceful area in the rural and spilling to different parts of Kenya through one Initiative with a base in Mbita. I say some people here are having projects and diviating from the theme of a better learned community. Statistics show we are going back in Education Standards compared to the time we had independence. Having a learning Center In Mbita is vital to the fishing community.

      I therefore will release the budget when there a serious team to make the idea drive to it's climax. We can have phases yes! and the first is to have a one focal point with computers and internet access then move on and on.......I need initial fund or somebody to give computers as a fast technology step for Open sourcse software campaign.

      I hope to your commets JEFF when the copy of the propoasal is with you !!!!!!!

      Regards,
      Samwel

      Jeff Buderer <jeff@...> wrote:
      Sam,

      I am preceeding here in terms of offering suggestions about how it might
      be best to proceed in terms of how best to organize your effort in a
      effective way (this is not to say that I actually do it this way but
      that I would probably be more successful if I did). Regardless there
      needs to be some process of planning. In many cases the pattern I see is
      that groups simply throw together a proposal. Increasingly I seeing this
      as an ineffective as many questions need to be asked and discussed
      before any work is done on a prospoal. In any project there should be a
      starting point and series of steps to get there in terms of making
      decisions about how and when to start and why. I there needs to be a
      workflow process organized BEFORE any proposals are put together. This
      includes asking every question you can imagine in terms of developing a
      realistic proposal to set up your project. I am by no means an expert on
      this and by no means should the below be taken to be the LAW of writing
      proposal (just a potential example):

      - Who is going to be involved and at what levels?
      - What are the goals to be considered in this project?
      - What is the region of intervention and will or can it be expanded? and
      how?
      - What is the plan for sustainability in terms of organizational,
      financial and social/community considerations?
      - How could and should the project be scaled or phased...considerin g
      various scenarios.
      - Consider the key deliverables and task to complete and a realistic
      timeline to complete them (including the phasing of a process to answer
      these questions to start)
      - Write a compelling summary statement about the project that suits you
      needs and aspirations as well as the community needs.
      - Consider various options for funding and begin research (who will do
      this and when will it start and be completed. then how will it be
      incorporated into the project planning).
      - Site location (what possible sites are there how will this be decided
      and when will the site selection process be initiated and a final
      decision made)
      - What about the parnters?
      - Organizational documentation (are you part of a registered org and is
      it a fully accredited NGO or a CBO? if not you need to register one or
      get one to support your work). All this needs to be properly documented
      in a template/format that is familar to foundations.

      Sam, I will do my best to help in developing a workable plan to get this
      project moving and I know others here want to help but utlimately it
      will be in your hands.

      Kennedy is quite well versed not only in this process but also the key
      ecovillage concepts. He also was one of the key people that enabled
      GRASSUP to be funded in 2004.

      I suggest you and Kennedy and the rest of your team make a list similar
      to the one above and then also develop a process for making decisions as
      the process evolves (possibly you have done this already). You also need
      to come up with a values statement that should govern the process and
      help keep the focus from beginning to end. This deliberative group could
      be the board of directors itself or a implementation group of
      organizational officers that reports to the board. It might be a good
      idea to proceed step by step down the list of things after prioritizing
      the proposal development tasks. Once all the information is collected
      you can then put together the proposal and supporting documents and then
      take the steps to promote your project to relevant groups.

      Jeff

      > Dear Jeff, Andrius, and all,
      >
      > I have the pleasure to inform you that I am Kenyan Citizen and living
      > in mbita. I am working in more trans-sectional community information
      > and technology improvement in mbita and Rusinga Island. I am working
      > with Rusinga Island Youth development forum initiative(RIYDFI) . I am
      > an FOSS activist.
      >
      > I also wish to tell members that I know Ken Onyango and I am ready to
      > work with Jeff in the community multi-Learning Center.This Is a
      > project we wish to explore many thoughts on ECO VILLAGE ideas .
      >

      > Jeff go ahead and have us plan for this and you can have the plan
      > proposal for the Mult-learning center.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > SAM
      >
      > *//*

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • lucas.gonzalez@canarias.org
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
        Sam and all,

        The linux user group where I'm active (on-and-off) here in the Canaries has about 200 recyclable computers and more may be coming; I don't know how useable they are. I guess the same happens in other places. I don't know how new-old those computers are, but I know my computer knowledgeable friends are mostly finishing their exams and some will probably be available to help. Help could be in the form of computer and/or know-how. A maths teacher here helped a nun in mainland Spain set up a computer lab at her school - tele-maintenance has continued and all she has to do is replace an old computer every now and then (placing another old computer in its place).

        I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm not at all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever. I looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly useful, but might try again.

        I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to "local reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments about this on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in this regard. Resilience.

        I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or Henry Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's active (I know because I'm still subscribed).

        Lucas
      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
          Lucas,.

          Franz's comments when put together are a cautionary tale for us. Kenya
          is not Spain for one thing....You dont have a lot of the infrastructure
          that Spain has in Africa and so maintaining a center becomes a lot more
          challenging.

          There's a whole economy/industry dedicated to used computers. I am not
          going to say I am well acqiainted with this but it is my understanding
          that it is best to ship these in bulk if you are going to do it
          yourself. It does not make sense to ship small quantities of used
          computers or even new ones to Africa. So we are talking really about the
          need to set up a distribution system and so the costs for shipping and
          moving them and if needed refurbishing them and installing software in
          them also need to be considered. Groups like Computer Aid provide the
          computers at relatively low cost.

          In terms of any project to ship 200 computers over there would be
          several things to consider:
          - Project sustainability - You want to make sure the computers are
          properly utilized and go to their desired locations.
          - Network development - With that many computers you would need a whole
          network of centers and so each one need to address the sustainability issue.
          - Ecological sustainability - Should we think of what is going to done
          with this computers when they break and can no longer be used? As more
          computers get sent over the Africa this may become more of an issue.
          - Condition of Computers - Those 200 computers need to be inventoried
          and what about upgrades, repairs and software installs.
          - Shipping details - A portion of a shipping container would need to
          purchased to ship these over and so research needs to be done to find
          the details about this process
          - Project documentation -It would be good to document every step well so
          that others following these steps would not have to reinvent the wheel
          so to speak. Maybe the documentation could be posted onto the wiki.

          So then the key thing - if we would actually decide to move on this -
          would be to sequence this as part of a larger proposal such as the one
          which I discussed with Sam in the other email thread. My view is that I
          would need to see certain sets of information about the specific centers
          these computers would go into and a demonstration of sustainability
          before I would do much work on this proposal. Or that this proposal
          would complement a more generalized and comprehensive funding plan.

          The point is that it does not make a great deal of sense to put a great
          effort to ship a bunch of computers into Kenya until and unless you
          have a concrete program or series of programs to direct the computers
          to. Possibly GRASSUP could form the backbone of this network? Still my
          concern would be that there needs to be computers and cash to properly
          fund these centers and trained staff to maintain and staff them.

          So then Lucas if we can spare some computers why cant we spare some cash
          to make sure they are used properly? A fundraising effort might be a
          great complement to this campaign to collect, process and then ship
          these computers to Africa to fund the centers as well as more
          ambitiously a capacity building program.

          Jeff

          gonzalez@... wrote:

          > Sam and all,
          >
          > The linux user group where I'm active (on-and-off) here in the
          > Canaries has about 200 recyclable computers and more may be coming; I
          > don't know how useable they are. I guess the same happens in other
          > places. I don't know how new-old those computers are, but I know my
          > computer knowledgeable friends are mostly finishing their exams and
          > some will probably be available to help. Help could be in the form of
          > computer and/or know-how. A maths teacher here helped a nun in
          > mainland Spain set up a computer lab at her school - tele-maintenance
          > has continued and all she has to do is replace an old computer every
          > now and then (placing another old computer in its place).
          >
          > I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm not at
          > all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some
          > affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever. I
          > looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly useful,
          > but might try again.
          >
          > I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to "local
          > reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments about this
          > on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in this
          > regard. Resilience.
          >
          > I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or Henry
          > Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's active (I
          > know because I'm still subscribed).
          >
          > Lucas

        • Jeff Buderer
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
            Lucas,.

            Franz's comments regarding the project he tried to help (in was it
            Cameroon?) when put together are a cautionary tale for us. Kenya is not

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
              Jeff and all,

              It looks like the plot thickens; i.e., we need to take many factors into consideration, and we're doing just that.

              Now I see why you want to document the process on wikipages, create the big picture with all the details before moving too fast, and outreaching to others who are good at specific things (e.g. moving computers around). Please consider Linux User Groups (and probably ours specifically) as a probable asset in this regard, as a source of "refurbished oldish computers with a mission". You're on your way to providing a clear picture of "the mission". We need to get in touch with people good at moving computers around, and some fund-raising. Yes, it does start to look like a wikipage. A bit like one of those "I'll pay if you pay" pledges, in the making.

              I can help with our local LUG, if that's seen to be helpful. As I said, my geek friends are finishing their exams and soon we'll be able to know how many computers, how old, how useful, etc. And, if I may insist, there's a LUG in Kenya:
              * http://www.linux.org/groups/kenya.html

            • samuel kongere
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 25, 2006
                Dear Jeff, Lucas, Andrius, Janet and All,

                I presume we are doing the right job for mbita and wish to join the global limelight concerning information and technology. We are very much impressed with the different comments the people in our lab are taking to see that a combined effort is put to have Mbita in the global limelight and this is very suitable for marketing and hence community development as a whole.

                We are working together with Ken to see things are in place for the proposals made. Our hope as always is to see that we become the next global village with the ICT service deemed for international development, it is an excellent conference to see people wonder on how to help the less previleged in the globe. It was exciting and very interesting. The good thing about it, was that all the pieces  of mind were there to bring thinking together in  technology unity development, the packed programme, the people from all over. It built a sense of community that has not happened before. We really treasure the thoughts brought in by Lucas and we are looking forward to see the thought come true when we indulge in global sharing.

                Somebody tells me Africa information revolution is wireless and this tells me that Local social information network has no boundary and this is why when people give information and hope to compare development is good in our lab. The question is, are we able to get funds to finalise our dream in Mbita? Or are we on the oughing that things are talked and never reach compromises? Think loud as we are independent thinkers. Is there anybody against the wish of many? We better concentrate and do one project and ride on to see the sense of the forum discussion.

                Helmut

                 I wish you will come clear I am preparing the mail for the project we are running together with you and Andrius. Be specific as the base line survey is near completion and your proWiki version in English should be received to make me have the full details. I am always thinking loud and this is what makes the man ou of me.

                Andrius

                I am very much happy to receive your short notes and i am much hoping to succeed, I am about to be through with the drawing of the map and you know much of my efforts are lost when I walk 10 km to write reports, I just wanted a bit more value to help me have portable laptop which can be used anywhere when work is on, I will contact you for away out.

                Janet

                I am through with the form and sent it to Caroline, I am still waiting to get her reply for the completed form. We are going to work with Ken In Grass up Now, I wanted to meet James and Francis when they came to Mbita, we missed one another, haha! I wanted to know if I can help you as one of your secretaries doing something as Andrius had suggested for me. I not very committed now that i am doing part time work for CCF here. There is also good news that electricity is now here and having computers here is paramount and destined to succeed may be putting the said project in the proposal  to be in Phases, we can divide the Idea in phases as you suggested.

                Jeff

                I believe by now you have received my proposal copy from Janet but I can still send it accross to you today I hope you get it and Advice for implementation. When I was writing it, we never had power but now there is electricity and putting the project here is well felt.

                Thanks to all willing to see that we succeed in the Idea of Eco Village learning center.

                From
                Samwel

                * http://groups. yahoo.com/ search?query= kenya+linux& submit=Search (4 groups)
                * http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/kenyalinux / (the one I'm subscribed at, 222 members)

> [...]

                > > I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm
                > not at
                > > all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some
                > > affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever.
                > > looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly
                > useful,
                > > but might try again.
                > >
                > > I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to
                > "local
                > > reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments
                > about this
                > > on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in
                > this
                > > regard. Resilience.
                > >
                > > I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or
                > Henry
                > > Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's

                MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                Cell: +254 725 600 439
                Computer specielist
                Community Development

                Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much more to come.

              • Jeff Buderer
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Masimba,

                  Thought the links below might be of interest to you:

                  Changemakers.org is now accepting applications for a contest on low cost
                  housing http://www.changemakers.net/journal/300606/

                  Paul Cohen <http://www.ashoka.org/fellows/viewprofile3.cfm?reid=97498>
                  an Ashoka fellow has been pioneering low cost building technologies in
                  South Africa.

                  Keep in touch.

                  Jeff Buderer
                  oneVillage Foundation

                  > Dear Andrius,
                  >
                  > In reference to the discussion below, I just want to
                  > find out whwther Nikos Salingaros will be interested
                  > in doing some write up on Zimbabwe.
                  >
                  > We have interesting (weell sad) developments over the
                  > past two years with regards housing for the poor.
                  >
                  > Government, last year, demolished all the shanties in
                  > the urban areas of Zimbabwe, leaving over 700,000
                  > people homeless. The argument of government was that
                  > it wanted to make housing livable for the poor.
                  >
                  > Now, they are in the process of constructing low-cost
                  > housing for the poor.
                  >
                  > The level of the destruction of shanties is
                  > incidentally the biggest in the world.
                  >
                  > If Nikos is interested on more information, I need to
                  > know what exactly he is looking for, otherwise
                  > Zimbabwe makes an interesting case in this respect.
                  >
                  > Thank You
                  >
                  > God Bless
                  >
                  > Masimba Biriwasha
                  >
                  > > Andrius: Another topic to work on is helping Nikos
                  > Salingaros,> he is writing a paper on how to make
                  > social housing livable.
                  > >
                  > > Samwel: i had such information in my interview
                  > >
                  > > Andrius: Yes, very good. :: Do you have housing for
                  > the
                  > > poor in Kenya?
                  > >
                  > > Samwel: Ihave seen such
                  > >
                  > > Andrius: One thing to study is how poor people live
                  > in slums
                  > > and in state housing.
                  >
                  > I have a strong feeling that every person owes it to him/herself, and
                  to the cause which he is serving to keep their body strong and healthy,
                  for better or worse, for disappointments and for trying positions.