Thank you, Dennis Kimambo, for bridging with us!

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2007
      I am very grateful to Dennis Kimambo for engaging us today by Skype. We
      had gathered at the Europos Parkas sculpture garden to pursue sculptor
      Algirdas Zokaitis's question, How can Lithuanian artists without money
      show their work in other countries? Dennis rose to the challenge and
      talked about his own experiences as an actor, writer, director,
      organizer and activist. We were interested to learn how he integrated
      his community work, as a volunteer, and his professional work. Dennis
      talked about the immediate impact that community theater had for the
      audience to discuss real life situations regarding HIV/AIDS and reflect
      publicly, what to do? how might we behave? how do we think? I have not
      seen it but I imagine it is quite impactful. We managed to speak by
      Skype and also see some pictures. Maybe someday we can engage each
      other by video and see such community theater and perhaps learn and
      share and do likewise. I was myself intrigued to realize that although
      Dennis support himself through his professional theater work, but his
      travels are possible through his community theater work. We discussed
      amongst ourselves in Lithuanian, and I noted that when a person is
      invited for their community work, then it is like inviting the people in
      their community as well, so it is very good for networking. And that
      Algirdas's activity with the children in the neighborhood, the ceramics
      classes he leads free-of-charge, might lead to his travel. Algirdas
      sang two songs that he wrote and was very encouraged by Dennis's
      reaction. We were also provoked by the idea that we, too, might travel
      some day to Kenya and participate in community theater. I also noted
      that when we share energy with Dennis and give energy then surely that
      energy helps him give energy to those around him and that is a great joy
      for us. Dennis, thank you for reaching us and I appreciate your
      efforts! Is there a group in the European Union who we could send a
      small honorarium to in thanks for your work? Please let me know, we
      will gladly do so. Thank you!

      Dennis also spoke about the great importance of ActALIVE in sharing
      knowledge of opportunities and making international connections that
      open up the possibility of travel. I am also learning that such a voice
      from far away can have a great impact on our thinking twice about what
      is possible.

      Janet, Dennis agreed to sign up for your Holistic Helping working group
      at our Minciu Sodas laboratory. Please sign him up, or Dennis please
      send a blank message to holistichelping-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and
      all are welcome to join us. Or send me your email to ms@...

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius

      Introduction

      The month of August was a very successful month for the group since we
      were able to improve in the carrying out of our activities following the
      monthly meeting held. During the meeting the members came up with ideas
      which could help us improve more in the numbers reached during the
      outreaches.

      They also came up with the sites that we were going to be working on
      this month. The sites included (Manyani, Lumumba, Kiratina, Nakuru GK
      prisons) and we were also able to come up with 3 mobile VCT sites that
      we were going to be using for the month.

      Activities

      The organization held 10 Magnet Theater outreaches in the month of
      August. During the 10 MT outreaches, the organization reached 5600(2300
      youths in prison both male and female) youths, and 512 youths between
      the ages of 15-24 took the HIV test and 25 people between the ages of
      25-49 also took the HIV test and the results were as follows, 37 people
      turned positive,(400 of those tested was done in the priosons) the
      organization also managed to distribute a total of 2000 Condoms and
      several IEC materials on the thematic area and concerns of the project
      were given out, posters, comic books, brochures, and pamphlets.
      Main activity of the month was during the nuru ya jamii family day (FHI)
      where the group was invited to facilitate on session involving youths
      between the ages of (13-20). The group did a session on abstinence which
      was very exciting and has attracted a number of comments which helped
      build on the topics for this month.

      Challenges

      Although we had some few IEC materials we still experienced the problem
      since they were on very high demand during the outreaches and the
      community kept asking for more and as of now we are running out of stock.

      The youths out of school kept asking for condoms especially the ones
      that had sent to us by you guys and we kept promising them that they
      were on the way. We provided them with the condoms that we got from like
      minded partner organizations.

      One of the biggest challenges that faced this month was that the little
      children were very many in our outreaches forcing some of us to take
      them aside and we had very little knowledge on the passing of
      information to the young people therefore making difficult for us.

      VCT counselors that we have encountered a hard time in Kiratina as more
      than 100 young people wanted to be tested and we only had 2 counselors
      resulting in a number of them not being tested during the particular
      day, they wee given referrals instead.

      Way forward

      The organization has set up a task force of three people to mobilize
      thematic IEC materials and condoms from any reliable sources through the
      spirit of networking
      The organization hopes to conduct a training on little magnet theatre
      where the members will be equipped with information to pass to the
      little kids and enable them conduct their own outreaches aside from the
      older youth.
      Most of the activities held were made possible by the support of the
      staying alive foundation and other like minded organizations that we are
      networking with.

      Success story of the month.

      We have managed to carry out, focused group discussion with members of
      the community and learnt a lot about what we are doing and the impact
      that we are having in the community, from this discussions a group of
      youths organized for an outreach in which they were the actors and
      presented a dilemma in their community though they were not confident
      enough to facilitate and one of us stepped in to help in the
      facilitation of the session it was well received by the community and we
      are planning to look for sponsorship of $ 2000 for their training as
      they are eager to start there own troupe and will be doing outreaches I
      there community and its neighborhood.

      DENNIS KIMAMBO
      +254-722-388-275
      PO BOX 13361 20100
      NAKURU KENYA
      EAST AFRICA
      http://mixedmedia.us/lhtorres/peacetiles/kenyan-educator-fundraiser/
    • ERIC WANJAMAH
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2007
        Dear all,

        Andrius, thanks for highlighting the work of Dennis in this forum, having interacted with him, am convinced that he is a change agent carefully using theatrically tools to reach a wide audience.

        Could the world of theater hold key elements of solving today's social cultural issues, through Dennis' work, the answer is to a great extent a YES!

        Hope to interact with you Dennis in this forum and all the best with your travel plans to Vermont, USA

        Kind Regards,

        Eric

        Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://www.ms. lt
        ms@...
        +370 699 30003
        Vilnius

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
[...]

        Eryk.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
          Denis,
          Thank you for your letters and photos.
          For our video bridge project the honorariums have to go to Europe. But I
          will try to buy some USB flash drives and send them to you to the
          address in your letter.
          My computer is broken so I will have trouble participating for the next
          week or two.
          Andrius