Andrius and All: Video-Bridges, Sunday Skypes, and Future Links

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2007

      Hello Dear Andrius and All,

      Fantastic to hear from you on this subject, and hopefully you saw my posting to Holistic Helping with suggestions too. For everyone, I moderate one of the forums of the Minciu Sodas Laboratory for Independent Thinkers--with its physical location in Lithuania and virtual connections throughout the world--called Holistic Helping. And I am a Lab member. Andrius is the founder of MS, and an ActALIVE member.

      I believe that the virtual world offers many good opportunities for these artists (as well as those doing the kind of work we focus on at ActALIVE), and also diaspora communities (of Lithuanians) globally. I think that outreach to these communities globally could yield some good exhibits and workshop opportunities.

      Check out the website of Arts for Global Development and their "Treasure Postcards" project for another fascinating idea: http://www.art4development.net/tpp.html

      If the Lithuanian artists in question could network together and organize themselves--which perhaps they have done already, or which we (in MS and other orgs) might help them do--they could jointly create a travelling exhibit. This might travel to physical locations, and also be visible online.

      The EU has a vibrant commitment to the arts and cultural work generally, so there might be some funding available for such a venture, esp. as this is an Eastern European country. I have heard that there is funding in particular for so-called "developing countries" within the EU (with a focus on Eastern and Southern members).

      I am ccing several people who might be interested in participating Sunday, and might have ideas for the artists in question, as well as for the rest of us, on how to promote our individual and collective work.

      Nil Navaie of Arts for Global Development (Art4Development.Net); Kasia Ozga, a Polish artist who has worked on the Peace Tiles Project (www.peacetiles.net); and Linda Burnham of Community Arts Network (http://www.communityarts.net) and Arts in the Public Interest (http://www.apionline.org). Linda has a long history of activism in the fields of art(s) and social change, and Nil has been deeply involved with "arts and development" work for some years.

      Linda has just posted a fantastic article abt ActALIVE to their website:
      www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2007/08/actalive_addres.php

      Others in the ActALIVE forum will hopefully respond too, including Synnove Mathe (who you know from Minciu Sodas), Adriana Bertini (famous for her "condom couture"), Lars Hasselblad Torres (founder of the Peace Tiles Project), Lenny Boniface (a Tanzanian youth organizer and artist with video experiences and products), Dennis Kimambo (of the theater-for-development youth org, REPACTED, in Kenya), and Jacqy Kowa (a youth peer counselor in Kenya, with a focus on arts and media such as video for education and prevention purposes).

      Lenny, Dennis, and Jacqy have all been involved in MTV's "48Fest" (a 48-hr video production exercise related to HIV/AIDS), and Dennis and Jacqy have been participants in the first youth storytelling event of a project called JUMP (www.jumptochangetheworld.org), which stands for "Juveniles Using Media Power".  This took place last summer (2006) in Kenya, and involved American and Kenyan youth creating videos and podcasts about HIV/AIDS

      I will be able to participate and hopefully help to lead and organize some such events later this fall, once I have secured help for my father and our family, related to his care. I'll be with you in spirit on Sunday, and hope that someone from ActALIVE or related orgs can participate!  I will also search for urls where you can see video work done by ActALIVE members, and can send you a long list of websites where people can see the work of members (if not by Sunday, at some pt in the near future).

      With greatest thanks and artistic affections, Janet