How PDAs Are Saving Lives in Africa

  • Steve Bosserman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2007
      Hi,

      Article about ICT and public health in Zambia popped up today.  An excerpt from the article is pasted below.

      Best regards,

      Steve B.

      How PDAs Are Saving Lives in Africa

      "Zambia today is helping to lead a public health revolution that has the potential to improve the lives of millions of people in the developing world. By switching from paper-based to mobile-enabled digital health systems, Zambian health workers are empowered with new 'eyes and ears' in the field-devices that increase the speed and accuracy with which vital health information can be collected and recorded. These PDAs, sometimes more powerful than laptops of the recent past, quickly are becoming a vital public health management tool.

      DataDyne.org http://www.DataDyne.org and http://www.unfoundation.org/vodafone, the non-profit organization I (Joel Selanikio, MD) co-founded, is helping to forge this promising new path. Through the course of my work as a Wall Street IT consultant, a pediatrician, and a medical officer at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, I developed an interest in applying computer science to the public health domain. The result is EpiSurveyor http://www.datadyne.org/?q=episurveyor/home--a free, easy to use, open source software solution."