Re: WIRELESS INTERNET CONNECTION FOR ACTWID KONGADZEM. HOW FAR HAVE WE GONE?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
      ACTWID KONGADZEM wrote:
      > Hi Andrius, Greetings from Cameroon. Our members are
      > only anxious to know how far our project of the
      > wireless internet has gone by now.
      > Immense thanks and waiting to hear from you soon.
      > Sincerely ACTWID KONGADZEM board members led by Wendi

      Hi Wendi,

      Here is the progress we are making.

      I have made software for archiving our letters and making them
      available. So, for example, you can download:
      http://www.worknets.org/download/MEN.zip
      and that is a file with letters from Samwel's Mendenyo group. This is
      700 KB. Please try to download it and see if you can store it on your
      USB flash drive and read it on your computer. Likewise:
      http://www.worknets.org/download/HH.zip 5.5 MB
      http://www.worknets.org/download/LFEO.zip 4.4 MB
      for Janet's Holistic Helping group and Pamela's Learning From Each Other
      group. This means that you will be able to read more of our letters and
      better understand what we're all working on. The archives are
      incomplete, but they should be complete in a week or so. I will also
      improve the software so that it is more convenient to find and read the
      letters. And so that you can download all of the letters from
      MinciuSodas for the last month.

      When the archives are complete, then I will send out to you some USB
      flash drives and one or more CDs with different content that may be
      useful. Then we will learn from you how much you are able to sell the
      USB flash drives for, and what content is useful. If there is content
      that you would like, please let me know so I can include it. We have
      made a pretty good list thanks to a lot of help from Sasha Mrkailo:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FlashDriveContent

      Jeff Buderer alerted us to a good handbook about wireless Internet
      access for developing countries. You can download the whole book, it is
      2 MB:
      http://www.wndw.net/pdf/wndw-ebook.pdf
      or you can download separate chapters:
      http://www.wndw.net/download.html
      And I will also include it in the content that I send you.

      Ricardo has been thinking about what kind of knowledge work you might be
      able to do so you could earn money:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KnowledgeWork

      I also had an idea for financing computers:

      We're making good progress on developing a Flash Drive Editor:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FlashDriveEditor
      and we're trying to connect with the Italian trashware community for
      making good use of old computers. I will be in Italy on September 28,
      2007 and Agnese is helping us make connections.

      So it is very slow for us to help with the wireless Internet. But the
      first step is to make it easier for you to participate. And we are
      making progress on that.

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius
    • Steve Bosserman
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
        Hi,

        Here is a link to an article entitled, "Unwired Bangladesh: Taking a Lesson from Microcredit" that might have relevance to the projects underway in Africa.  Also, the website that publishes this article has links to additional information that may be useful.

        All the best,

        Steve B.

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/globalvill ages/message/ 2892

        We're making good progress on developing a Flash Drive Editor:
        http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?FlashDriveEd itor
        and we're trying to connect with the Italian trashware community for
        making good use of old computers. I will be in Italy on September 28,
        2007 and Agnese is helping us make connections.

        So it is very slow for us to help with the wireless Internet. But the
        first step is to make it easier for you to participate. And we are
        making progress on that.

        http://www.ms. lt
        ms@...
        +370 699 30003