Response to Jeff and Sam/proposal development

  • kaippg@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2006
      Dear Jeff and All,

      Great to see all of the posts during the past few days, and to "meet" many
      new people who will add so much to these discussions and our activities!

      What you have suggested below is very important, ie that there needs to be
      a plan, both a "business" plan and a "processing" plan. Sam does have a
      good start at a proposal, by which I mean a statement of the needs of his
      community and area which his plan is meant to address, and a first draft on
      the goals and visions. This we have edited and Sam has indicated he will
      have a budget soon.

      Kennedy, myself, you, and others have a good deal of experience abt the
      other issues and items which need to be addressed, and in fact in GRASSUP
      alone we have a good model--as well as idea of the challenges and questions
      which need answering--for a possible way to approach this particular
      project (ie re processing and also proposal formulation and implementation).

      I love the idea of OVF becoming involved in the set-up of a learning center
      ("Unity Center") in Mbita--you have roots in that area anyway, due to
      previous work with CISSO--and Sam has conceptualized his project as a
      possible model for other parts of Kenya, or first of a number of such
      centers, so that's a great fit re establishing a "series" of Unity Centers.
      This could be linked to what you hope to do in other areas and on other
      subjects: in Kibera, Ogiek, and elsewhere. And possibly w/regard to
      GRASSUP too.

      Sam, how abt sending Jeff your proposal, or I can do that, with the one I
      have. And then thinking-discussing-acting on your questions and the way
      forward from there. What is needed to set up such a center, and then the
      crafts business Sam envisions? Since this is a big project--one with
      several or many parts--where is starting point? I agree that there are
      some "pre-cursors" which need to happen before a proposal is developed and
      plans turn into on-the-ground realities.

      However, there are also things which can happen in tandem, ie working out
      "who does what" while the concrete realities are developing on the ground.
      So, for instance, you don't have to answer all of the questions which might
      come up re administration before you would get some computers and start
      getting a basic set-up together (in fact, getting some of the latter in
      place might be incentive to address all of the other questions and keep
      going). However, before you are able to fully implement your project,
      clearly more processing will be needed.

      In other words, at every step along the way, there is an evolution and fit
      between "thought" and "action", "administration" and "project development",
      and the like. GRASSUP is a good example: we had several months of prelim
      discussions and developed a concrete proposal, then took a small
      chunk--identified as Phase 1--in which we attempted to accomplish certain
      pieces, meanwhile working out some of the administration and other issues
      we encountered along the way. We were given some funding and other
      resources--after those few months of prelim--to get the ball rolling on
      concrete actions. And then, when Phase 1 ended, we evaluated our progress
      (and were evaluated by others too), and have made adjustments within the
      context of negotiating about Phase 2 (yet to be concluded).

      With all best wishes and excitement abt the future, and look forward to
      further processing and plans put into action! Janet

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5 5:17 AM
        Samwel, Janet,

        Just as follow up on this. I sent both of you a version of the proposal
        several weeks. Possibly we should consider how we now stand in regards
        to this proposal.

        I also identified areas where I thought the report needed to be improved.

        Jeff