Tom, Andrius, All: Time for Deaf Power (computers and all!)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22 6:52 AM
      Dear Tom and Andrius,

      Wonderful to hear from you both, and my own thanks, Tom, for your moving report and invaluable work.

      Andrius, I have given Tom a list of resources and contacts globally, which we might use to follow up on your idea. I have also contacted orgs and individuals who are Deaf themselves or work on Deaf issues and challenges related to "differing abilities".

      Interestingly, in my own outreach on this subject, I have not found many responses related to linkage, connectedness, and working together. While there is "solidarity" globally among groups addressing other issues--at least to an extent--that does not yet seem to pertain to "dif-abilities".

      Perhaps I have not yet found groups and orgs who are doing that, but we might also start a trend in that direction! I think it's important to work on "perspectives" and perceptions people have, understandable as they might be, relating to cooperation, competition, differences, and similarities.

      By which I mean that sometimes people do not see chances for cooperation, rather a sense of "competition" for scarce funds (which is also a reality, but we might consider ways that we can be connected and working together w/out funding). And they see "differences"--of cultures, local challenges, et al--more than "similarities".

      I look forward to working with you both, and others (Pam and Wendi have both mentioned Deaf people in the communities they serve), on these vital and pressing matters! Related to computers and other ICTs alone, there are many possibilities--including devices which can make ICTs more accessible--and these can be shared globally and adapted locally.

      With blessings and love, Janet