Re: Maria Agnese Giraudo-Sam-Kennedy/Publishing Intros to Franz's friends in Europe

  • mariaagnesegiraudo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
      Dear all,
      I thanks Kannedy for CISSO brochure
      and Samwel, Janet, Franz and Andrius...
      Kennedyy, I got a very good inpression of your activity. I'm sure
      that i'll learn a lot from you. I'm a librarian dealing with normal
      management. I'll send to HHGroup an email in few days explaining
      better what could be my contribution.
      I would like also to explain that this idea of "local publishing " is
      mine and MiCHE is not involved. I'll inform MICHE now before leaving
      Italy.
      I'll be in DAR at the end of July. I could be in Mbita around the 7th
      of August if it's OK for you.
      All the best!
      Maria Agnese Giraudo

      --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, "kaippg@..." <kaippg@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Maria, Andrius, Kennedy, Janet, Franz and Andrius...and All,
      >
      > Hello and wonderful to "meet" you! I have appended my initial
      response below, as I'm not sure you saw it, and will add here that I
      have a number of contacts in TZ I can network you with this coming
      week, including in Dar es Salaam, and a number of them youth. I will
      be happy to network Millinga as well.

      > I'm delighted you've made contact with Kennedy and Sam, and they do
      know each other, I believe, and we all work together. Sam is hoping
      to start a crafts business, as well as establishing a learning center
      in the same area as Kennedy lives and works (Mbita, Kenya). Kennedy
      and I work together in a nonprofit consortium called GRASSUP NOW,
      which focuses on cooperative learning and contents-creation for ODL
      via ICTs.

      > In fact, each of the partners is working to build a library--both
      virtual and physical--of materials on education and other topics like
      nutrition and income-generation, so meeting and working with you and
      MICHE. We have a strong focus in this program on women, and income-
      generation for poverty-alleviation forms the central core of our
      mission.

      > We would love to discuss book supply and donations, and also
      printing, as one thing we could all use is a fairly cheap printing
      capability, especially for printing materials in local languages. And
      replication of teaching/education materials locally, so that we
      wouldn't have to rely on shipments of books from other countries.

      > I hope that all 3 of you can arrange a meeting, and perhaps you
      (Maria) can discuss your work-interests-organization with the rest of
      the GRASSUP partners as well. Maria, I thought I should mention my
      own affiliations: I run the international wing of a Kenyan HIV/AIDS
      and development nonprofit, KAIPPG (www.kaippg.org), and also an
      international arts coalition called ActALIVE (www.actalive.org),
      whose members use the arts to address HIV/AIDS and development
      issues. We have 300 members in 30+ countries.

      > You might be interested to also "meet" two wonderful women, also
      connected library-reading-publishing projects, who live in Europe but
      have a focus on Africa, especially re literacy and books. I will
      introduce you now to Elisabeth Ziegler (see more abt her below,
      posted by Franz at Globalvillages in January), Lene Mayer-Skumanz--
      both Austrian--and Italian graphic artist, Salvatore Sciascia. It
      would be great to network and see how we can work together!

      > With many thanks to all and look forward to working together!
      Maria, please let me know your email address, so I can network you
      with Tanzanians! All best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@... )

      > From Franz:
      >
      > Elisabeth Ziegler is librarian in the city of Lienz, the regional
      center
      > of East Tyrol. She is hosting this weekend a meeting of NGOs and
      > llibrarian associations to support the UN Decade of Education for
      > Sustainable Development collaborating with the Austrian UNESCO
      office.

      > http://www.bildung-frieden.net/unesco (in German)
      > http://www.dorfwiki.org/wiki.cgi?ElisabethZiegler
      >
      > The work that Elisabeth is doing is very much in line with the ideas
      > promoted in our groups, namely self-learning, self-unfolding,
      networks of
      > support and cooperation, open working, oppen access.
      >
      > Elisabeth has allowed us to use the (copyrighted) work "the little
      owl" in
      > our wiki; with this work, she wants to support the creation of
      textbooks
      > and merchandise that help building more computerized places of
      learning
      > and access in African Libraries.
      >
      > see the little owl here:
      > http://www.openleader.com/index.php/LovingGod/TheLittleOwl
      >
      > Elisabeth has also developed a methodology for the decade that is
      very
      > similar to Minciu Sodas methodology. She has created a working
      paper for
      > the decade which includes the call for open work and investigarory
      > questions. See a German Version here:
      >
      > http://www.dorfwiki.org/wiki.cgi?BildungF%
      fcrNachhaltigeEntwicklung/ArbeitsPapier

      > Translation of this paper to English would be very valued. Maybe the
      > Minciu Sodas community could offer support to UNESCO along these
      lines. If
      > coming tue, lot of support and open venues will be needed.
      >
      > Elisabeth is in touch with many places in Africa, especially in
      Kenia and
      > Madagaskar. I think it would make a lot of sense she joins forces
      with
      > Janet and Joy. Maybe the little owl project could be a good symbolic
      > connector for that.
      >
      > From Elisabeth: info@...
      > Thanks a lot for your friendly words about our little owl story and
      projects. I told the author about it - she is a great woman. If you
      want to
      > write to her lenewien@... At the moment we would start with two
      library projects, one in Kenya and one in Madagascar - where we have
      personal contacts. But first it is necessary to find a good way of
      organizing the whole work. On Monday a meeting with the leader of
      UNESCO Austria and of all Austrian libraries is planned in my town. I
      myself am librarian for 31 years in an old monastery in Lienz, a
      lovely town between the "dream mountains".

    • masimba biriwasha
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
        Dear All,

        My name is Masimba Biriwasha. I am children's writer
        and publisher based in Zimbabwe. As most of you know,
        my country is currently experiencing a myriad of
        challenges. Children are obviously the worst affected.

        I have a dream to set up a book and computer
        distribution program in Zimbabwe, targeted at the most
        disadvantaged children.

        I am looking for any assistance that you can provide,
        either through advice, suggestions and links to other
        networks.

        The vision is to distribute 1,000,000 books and
        computers throughout the country.

        The idea is not to establish another bureucratic NGO
        but to have a program that has visible impact on the
        country.

        I have so far developed a proposal which I would be
        happy to share with anyone who is interest.

        The program is intended to be locally sustainable so
        that its not dependent on external funding but I do
        appreciate the importance of international solidarity.

        Childrren in Zimbabwe need your help today.

        If you have any ideas, please let me know.

        God Bless You All

        Masimba Biriwasha
        Harare, Zimbabwe

        I have a strong feeling that every person owes it to him/herself, and to the cause which he is serving to keep their body strong and healthy, for better or worse, for disappointments and for trying positions.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • masimba biriwasha
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
          Dear Elizabeth,

          My name is Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha. I am a
          children's writer and publisher based in Zimbabwe
          currently putting together a program to distribute
          children's books, computers and putting up libraries
          in the remote parts of Zimbabwe.

          I am interested in networking with you to share ideas
          and explore possibilities of collaboration.

          I am interested in seeing the stories that you
          referred to in the email as well as sharing my stories
          with you.

          Zimbabwe is in parlous state at the moment, and
          something deep is calling in my spirit to get up and
          do something.

          Would you consider a third country in the library
          project.

          Look forward to hearing from you

          Masimba Biriwasha

          --- "kaippg@..." <kaippg@...>

        • samuel kongere
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
            Dear Maria,

            We are happy to meet you here in mbita on the 7th August 2006 at Ken's premises In Mbita.

            You can come ealier or on the date, We are looking forward to meeting you here in mbita. Does this mean you brach here before going to Tazania? or when you are back?

            Thanks for your decusion to come and share with us SAMWEL AND KEN.

            REGARDS,
            SAM

            wrote:

> [...]
            > Madagaskar. I think it would make a lot of sense she joins forces
            with
            > Janet and Joy. Maybe the little owl project could be a good symbolic
            > connector for that.
            >
            > From Elisabeth: info@...
            > Thanks a lot for your friendly words about our little owl story and
            projects. I told the author about it - she is a great woman. If you
            want to
            > write to her lenewien@... At the moment we would start with two
            library projects, one in Kenya and one in Madagascar - where we have
            personal contacts. But first it is necessary to find a good way of
            organizing the whole work. On Monday a meeting with the leader of
            UNESCO Austria and of all Austrian libraries is planned in my town. I
            myself am librarian for 31 years in an old monastery in Lienz, a
            lovely town between the "dream mountains".

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Maria Agnese Giraudo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2006
              Dear all,
              thanks everybody:  Janet Feldman,  George Onyango, James Omollo, Cheophas, Kanamaguire,  Masimba Biriwasha, Furaha Msewa....  for inviting me again and for your contribution. I would be very glad to meet all of you and people working in community  projects. Unfortunately time is so short and I would like at first to visit Mbita Center and learn something! Anyway we stay in touch!
              All my best
              Maria Agnese Giraudo

            • samuel kongere
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2006
                Dear Maria,

                I hope you are living for Tanzania soon and finally you'll be in Mbita in the first week of August. Kindly tell us on how we can help in regard to your itinerary.

                Regards,

                Kennedy and Sam

                Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...> wrote:
                Dear all,
                thanks everybody:  Janet Feldman,  George Onyango, James Omollo, Cheophas, Kanamaguire,  Masimba Biriwasha, Furaha Msewa....  for inviting me again and for your contribution. I would be very glad to meet all of you and people working in community  projects. Unfortunately time is so short and I would like at first to visit Mbita Center and learn something! Anyway we stay in touch!
                All my best
                Maria Agnese Giraudo

                MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                Cell: +254 725 600 439
                Computer specielist
                Community Development

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 2006
                  Masimba,

                  Thank you again for your letters to our Minciu Sodas laboratory's
                  Holistic Helping group. Your work in Zimbabwe is very profound and I
                  would like to organize our efforts around you.

                  I did not hear from you afterwards. Because of the delicate situation
                  in Zimbabwe, I would like to make sure to stay in contact with you that
                  you are all right. We want our work together to be constructive and
                  positive for all people. You may guide us with your leadership.

                  Also, please note that our group's letters are public and kept in online
                  archives for all to access. We are able to delete them as needed.

                  I have your email. If anybody knows how to contact you by phone or
                  otherwise, please let me know. I would like to call you by phone some time.

                  Just a note: I was recently in Velenje, Slovenia and librarian Lidija
                  Crnko has started a project to help distribute books to the Ghana
                  countryside.

                  Best wishes in your endeavors!