Maria Agnese Giraudo-Sam-Kennedy/Publishing Intros to Franz's friends in Europe

  • kaippg@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 17, 2006

      Dear Maria, Andrius, Kennedy, and All,

      Hello and wonderful to "meet" you!  I have appended my initial response below, as I'm not sure you saw it, and will add here that I have a number of contacts in TZ I can network you with this coming week, including in Dar es Salaam, and a number of them youth. I will be happy to network Millinga as well.

      I'm delighted you've made contact with Kennedy and Sam, and they do know each other, I believe, and we all work together. Sam is hoping to start a crafts business, as well as establishing a learning center in the same area as Kennedy lives and works (Mbita, Kenya). Kennedy and I work together in a nonprofit consortium called GRASSUP NOW, which focuses on cooperative learning and contents-creation for ODL via ICTs.

      In fact, each of the partners is working to build a library--both virtual and physical--of materials on education and other topics like nutrition and income-generation, so meeting and working with you and MICHE. We have a strong focus in this program on women, and income-generation for poverty-alleviation forms the central core of our mission.

      We would love to discuss book supply and donations, and also printing, as one thing we could all use is a fairly cheap printing capability, especially for printing materials in local languages. And replication of teaching/education materials locally, so that we wouldn't have to rely on shipments of books from other countries.

      I hope that all 3 of you can arrange a meeting, and perhaps you (Maria) can discuss your work-interests-organization with the rest of the GRASSUP partners as well. Maria, I thought I should mention my own affiliations:  I run the international wing of a Kenyan HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit, KAIPPG (www.kaippg.org), and also an international arts coalition called ActALIVE (www.actalive.org), whose members use the arts to address HIV/AIDS and development issues. We have 300 members in 30+ countries.

      You might be interested to also "meet" two wonderful women, also connected library-reading-publishing projects, who live in Europe but have a focus on Africa, especially re literacy and books. I will introduce you now to Elisabeth Ziegler (see more abt her below, posted by Franz at Globalvillages in January), Lene Mayer-Skumanz--both Austrian--and Italian graphic artist, Salvatore Sciascia. It would be great to network and see how we can work together!

      With many thanks to all and look forward to working together!  Maria, please let me know your email address, so I can network you with Tanzanians!  All best wishes, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@... )

      From Franz:

      Elisabeth Ziegler is librarian in the city of Lienz, the regional center
      of East Tyrol. She is hosting this weekend  a meeting of NGOs and
      llibrarian associations to support the UN Decade of Education for
      Sustainable Development collaborating with the Austrian UNESCO office.

      http://www.bildung-frieden.net/unesco (in German)
      http://www.dorfwiki.org/wiki.cgi?ElisabethZiegler

      The work that Elisabeth is doing is very much in line with the ideas
      promoted in our groups, namely self-learning, self-unfolding, networks of
      support and cooperation, open working, oppen access.

      Elisabeth has allowed us to use the (copyrighted) work "the little owl" in
      our wiki; with this work, she wants to support the creation of textbooks
      and merchandise that help building more computerized places of learning
      and access in African Libraries.

      see the little owl here:
      http://www.openleader.com/index.php/LovingGod/TheLittleOwl

      Elisabeth has also developed a methodology for the decade that is very
      similar to Minciu Sodas methodology. She has created a working paper for
      the decade which includes the call for open work and investigarory
      questions. See a German Version here:

      http://www.dorfwiki.org/wiki.cgi?BildungF%fcrNachhaltigeEntwicklung/ArbeitsPapier

      Translation of this paper to English would be very valued. Maybe the
      Minciu Sodas community could offer support to UNESCO along these lines. If
      coming tue, lot of support and open venues will be needed.

      Elisabeth is in touch with many places in Africa, especially in Kenia and
      Madagaskar. I think it would make a lot of sense she joins forces with
      Janet and Joy. Maybe the little owl project could be a good symbolic
      connector for that.

      From Elisabeth:  info@...
      Thanks a lot for your friendly words about our little owl story and projects. I told the author about it - she is a great woman. If you want to
      write to her lenewien@.... At the moment we would start with two library projects, one in Kenya and one in Madagascar - where we have personal contacts. But first it is necessary to find a good way of organizing the whole work. On Monday a meeting with the leader of UNESCO Austria and of all Austrian libraries is planned in my town. I myself am librarian for 31 years in an old monastery in Lienz, a lovely town between the "dream mountains".

    • mariaagnesegiraudo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
        Dear all,
        I thanks Kannedy for CISSO brochure
        and Samwel, Janet, Franz and Andrius...
        Kennedyy, I got a very good inpression of your activity. I'm sure
        that i'll learn a lot from you. I'm a librarian dealing with normal
        management. I'll send to HHGroup an email in few days explaining
        better what could be my contribution.
        I would like also to explain that this idea of "local publishing " is
        mine and MiCHE is not involved. I'll inform MICHE now before leaving
        Italy.
        I'll be in DAR at the end of July. I could be in Mbita around the 7th
        of August if it's OK for you.
        All the best!
        Maria Agnese Giraudo

        --- In holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, "kaippg@..." <kaippg@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > Madagaskar. I think it would make a lot of sense she joins forces
        with
        > Janet and Joy. Maybe the little owl project could be a good symbolic
        > connector for that.
        >
        > From Elisabeth: info@...
        > Thanks a lot for your friendly words about our little owl story and
        projects. I told the author about it - she is a great woman. If you
        want to
        > write to her lenewien@... At the moment we would start with two
        library projects, one in Kenya and one in Madagascar - where we have
        personal contacts. But first it is necessary to find a good way of
        organizing the whole work. On Monday a meeting with the leader of
        UNESCO Austria and of all Austrian libraries is planned in my town. I
        myself am librarian for 31 years in an old monastery in Lienz, a
        lovely town between the "dream mountains".

      • masimba biriwasha
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
          Dear All,

          My name is Masimba Biriwasha. I am children's writer
          and publisher based in Zimbabwe. As most of you know,
          my country is currently experiencing a myriad of
          challenges. Children are obviously the worst affected.

          I have a dream to set up a book and computer
          distribution program in Zimbabwe, targeted at the most
          disadvantaged children.

          I am looking for any assistance that you can provide,
          either through advice, suggestions and links to other
          networks.

          The vision is to distribute 1,000,000 books and
          computers throughout the country.

          The idea is not to establish another bureucratic NGO
          but to have a program that has visible impact on the
          country.

          I have so far developed a proposal which I would be
          happy to share with anyone who is interest.

          The program is intended to be locally sustainable so
          that its not dependent on external funding but I do
          appreciate the importance of international solidarity.

          Childrren in Zimbabwe need your help today.

          If you have any ideas, please let me know.

          God Bless You All

          Masimba Biriwasha
          Harare, Zimbabwe

          I have a strong feeling that every person owes it to him/herself, and to the cause which he is serving to keep their body strong and healthy, for better or worse, for disappointments and for trying positions.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • masimba biriwasha
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
            Dear Elizabeth,

            My name is Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha. I am a
            children's writer and publisher based in Zimbabwe
            currently putting together a program to distribute
            children's books, computers and putting up libraries
            in the remote parts of Zimbabwe.

            I am interested in networking with you to share ideas
            and explore possibilities of collaboration.

            I am interested in seeing the stories that you
            referred to in the email as well as sharing my stories
            with you.

            Zimbabwe is in parlous state at the moment, and
            something deep is calling in my spirit to get up and
            do something.

            Would you consider a third country in the library
            project.

            Look forward to hearing from you

            Masimba Biriwasha

            --- "kaippg@..." <kaippg@...>

          • samuel kongere
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
              Dear Maria,

              We are happy to meet you here in mbita on the 7th August 2006 at Ken's premises In Mbita.

              You can come ealier or on the date, We are looking forward to meeting you here in mbita. Does this mean you brach here before going to Tazania? or when you are back?

              Thanks for your decusion to come and share with us SAMWEL AND KEN.

              REGARDS,
              SAM

              wrote:

> [...]
              > Madagaskar. I think it would make a lot of sense she joins forces
              with
              > Janet and Joy. Maybe the little owl project could be a good symbolic
              > connector for that.
              >
              > From Elisabeth: info@...
              > Thanks a lot for your friendly words about our little owl story and
              projects. I told the author about it - she is a great woman. If you
              want to
              > write to her lenewien@... At the moment we would start with two
              library projects, one in Kenya and one in Madagascar - where we have
              personal contacts. But first it is necessary to find a good way of
              organizing the whole work. On Monday a meeting with the leader of
              UNESCO Austria and of all Austrian libraries is planned in my town. I
              myself am librarian for 31 years in an old monastery in Lienz, a
              lovely town between the "dream mountains".

              Do you Yahoo!?

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Maria Agnese Giraudo
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2006
                Dear all,
                thanks everybody:  Janet Feldman,  George Onyango, James Omollo, Cheophas, Kanamaguire,  Masimba Biriwasha, Furaha Msewa....  for inviting me again and for your contribution. I would be very glad to meet all of you and people working in community  projects. Unfortunately time is so short and I would like at first to visit Mbita Center and learn something! Anyway we stay in touch!
                All my best
                Maria Agnese Giraudo

              • samuel kongere
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2006
                  Dear Maria,

                  I hope you are living for Tanzania soon and finally you'll be in Mbita in the first week of August. Kindly tell us on how we can help in regard to your itinerary.

                  Regards,

                  Kennedy and Sam

                  Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...> wrote:
                  Dear all,
                  thanks everybody:  Janet Feldman,  George Onyango, James Omollo, Cheophas, Kanamaguire,  Masimba Biriwasha, Furaha Msewa....  for inviting me again and for your contribution. I would be very glad to meet all of you and people working in community  projects. Unfortunately time is so short and I would like at first to visit Mbita Center and learn something! Anyway we stay in touch!
                  All my best
                  Maria Agnese Giraudo

                  MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                  Cell: +254 725 600 439
                  Computer specielist
                  Community Development

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19, 2006
                    Masimba,

                    Thank you again for your letters to our Minciu Sodas laboratory's
                    Holistic Helping group. Your work in Zimbabwe is very profound and I
                    would like to organize our efforts around you.

                    I did not hear from you afterwards. Because of the delicate situation
                    in Zimbabwe, I would like to make sure to stay in contact with you that
                    you are all right. We want our work together to be constructive and
                    positive for all people. You may guide us with your leadership.

                    Also, please note that our group's letters are public and kept in online
                    archives for all to access. We are able to delete them as needed.

                    I have your email. If anybody knows how to contact you by phone or
                    otherwise, please let me know. I would like to call you by phone some time.

                    Just a note: I was recently in Velenje, Slovenia and librarian Lidija
                    Crnko has started a project to help distribute books to the Ghana
                    countryside.

                    Best wishes in your endeavors!