Eric: the Laptop and More/David Mutua and others w/cameras

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
      Dear Eric and All,

      Hello and hope all's well! I have sent a mail previously to some
      individuals on this laptop, but have not heard from anyone in the
      affirmative abt a trip to Kenya.

      Today I have sent info to forums which have Kenyans living in the diaspora,
      in case anyone is visiting Kenya this month. What is the deadline for
      getting you the laptop? As an alternative, do you or your friend have any
      idea about how much it would be to ship it to you (and could that be done
      to Sweden, as it might be cheaper and faster)?

      If all else fails, can you get a very cheap used one in Nairobi now, giving
      us time to find someone or some way to send the other to Sweden, or to send
      it to Nairobi later this year, if you would be coming home for the holidays
      (?). How much are they there now (where is the $100 laptop when you need
      one, haha!)?

      Did you connect with anyone among our members who might help in terms of
      the film or digital pix you'd like to make of your work? You could try
      David Mutua of CAWD-Kenya (davenzainga@...), who is in Nairobi. And
      hook up with Sam Kongere (skongere@...) or Tom Ochuka
      (tomochuka@...) if they are (otherwise they are in Mbita and Kisumu).

      I wanted to mention the Peace Tiles project which fellow Kenyan and friend,
      Dennis Kimambo in Nakuru, is doing with young offenders. Did you meet up
      with Dennis at O/net, and read abt his project there? There may not be
      time now for you to do such a project with those youth you work with, but
      FYI for the future, as he apparently has had some good success with it.
      Dennis is at kimambodenis@..., and Eric at ewanjamah@....

      Another friend, Felix Masi in Nairobi, may be able to help with some
      digital images. Felix heads Voiceless Children, and he is a
      photographer/filmmaker (www.voicelesschildren.org) who is also working on
      "A Grandmother's Tribe", a soon-to-be-released film abt grandmothers caring
      for their orphaned (due to HIV/AIDS) grandchildren. Felix is at
      felixmasius@.... And see http://www.agrandmotherstribe.com

      With all best wishes and blessings, and hope we can be of help!! Janet

    • David mutua
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
        Dear Janet, Eric, James and All,
        I trust this finds you all well, Janet someone i know
        is planning to travel from the US to Kenya this
        month, if Eric (Met at the Onet - Gulu) is willing, i
        can request the person to assist though she leaves in
        Ohio and have no idea how it can reach her..what do
        you think?

        Janet and James, do guys know each other? I know Janet
        through online discussions and James through the
        Commonwealth of Learning (COL) partners or links in
        Kenya.

        James, i am doing a project Teacher Talking - About
        ICT's in schools and communities in rural Kenya with
        support from Commonwealth of Learning and Pamela
        McLean of CAWD -UK. This is a basic ICT training and
        awareness on ICT4 Education and development, from 27th
        - 31st August 2007, Pam and I will run a training
        workshop that will be followed by monthly online
        meetings for 6 months, this training will involve
        selected teachers from all secondary schools in
        Kangundo District.
        Krishna from COL suggested that we explore areas of
        common interest that can be build from the COL
        partnerships in Kenya, i am interested in knowing what
        we do that fits in with your work. Can we arrange for
        a meeting please, I am based in Nairobi. Its will be
        nice too to invite other COL link in Kenya.....lets
        explore.

        Regards,

        David

      • tom ochuka
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2007
          Dear JANET AND ALL

          We have had lots of good time meeting in the
          rooms,this time it is good all together to put to the
          ground all that we discuss in the chating,so that our
          projects are just in the fields.
          We have already chcken and haveto add to ur stock in
          kisumu and ahero,we atoo have plans to grow sugar cane
          This is agood crop that can help offer emplyment and
          enerprenur to the deaf in Ahero,this is good we ahve
          laid down,plans for 2cres as astart..this ios avital
          project.
          Fred have you just put the hives on and are the bees
          geeting some honet ready in uganda?
          This is abetterway of moving from one cht room to
          another.
          DEAFIMPACT.

          that gives answers, not web links.