RE: [socialagriculture] Wireless network for Actwid Kongadzem in Cameroon

  • subscribe@studynook.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 11:11 AM
      Janet:

      I am interested in how they accomplish the radio component - since that is crucial for bandwidth and the bandwidth allowed for radio.

      I am also interested in using satellites since there are many out there - if you have such examples of how they are being used please let me know.

      Thank You.

      Asif.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 12:04 PM
        Asif,

        As you know things are moving rapidly in emerging markets in regards to wireless even in the so called Last Mile region that are quite isolated and still do not have modern infrastructure.

        I had read that 10000 jobs were created in Cameroon to create cellular call boxes that rapidly are replacing the conventional land line call boxes.

        So we are seeing a rapid take off of the ICT sector in these regions.

        OVF is now setting up a temporary broad band network in Ghana using a wireless long distance broadband connection. I think that technology will quickly develop and be more competitive with VSAT which is now out of the range of most communities in Africa.

        As part of our Grant dispersement from COL OVF Ghana is planning to have a portion of our work focus on radio is one low cost ICT tool that can reach a large audience.

        I think that ICT programs should be designed ideally so that the more conventional and accessible ICT such as radio and cellular component the more advanced telecenter and wireless development plans.

        Jeff

> [...]

        >> wireless Internet access points and computers
        so you
        >> can keep expanding
        >> your network
        >>
        >> This will be an ongoing effort over several months
        >> and
        even several
        >> years. But my hope is to make progress with
        A)
        >> during the next few
        >> months and look for small work
        that you can do so
        >> that we can stay
        >> connected and work
        towards B) and C).

        >> Thank you for staying in touch! We
        are grateful to
        >> be connected with
        >> your important work!
        We are especially encouraged
        >> that you are linking
        >> women
        with ICT, as this is very important for a

        page for this endeavor:
        >> http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?Internet

        and listed it with our proposals:
        >> http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?Proposals
        >>
        >> I haven't been able to find your proposal yet but

        please send it to our
        >> groups if you have it and lets post it at our
        wiki.

        >> I invite our thoughts on how we might help and
        work
        >> together.

      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2 1:40 PM
          Asif,

          The only thing disappearing based on my research will be fixed line connections (land line telephones) and of course land lines will be here for a long time to come. However the pattern we are seeing is that teledensity one criteria or measurement of a modern developed society (telephones per 100 people) is going up rapidly primarily due to cellular and this has been going on only over the last 5-10 years. Before that time teledensity rates were not moving very quickly in many places in Africa, whereas in the last 5-10 years Ghana has gone up from less than 1 phone per 100 to over ten per 100. This is because the cost of wireless is much cheaper to set up than land lines. The term leapfrogging is used to describe how infrastructure and development costs are rapidly being reduced as disruptive technologies further evolve.

          If you look at what I said in the email, I suggested that programs develop that complement wireless networks and telecenters with more conventional and accessible ones like radio and now cellular.

          Indeed what I see in terms of a Integrated ICT program is an understanding of the role each plays in development.

          The satellite business has to become more competitive. For years they have been getting away with charging very high rates for connectivity and this has been a primary bottleneck inhibiting effective wide scale ICT4D deployments needed to decisively bridge the Digital Divide. Now with long distance wireless we can connect the last mile for low cost and reducing the monopoly that the VSAT vendors now have in most of the Last Mile villages/rural regions.

          Jeff

          I really don't see radio as disappearing. It is a very powerful tool.
          Kenya has a large Satellite in the Rift Valley whereby many are being trying to be attached to.
          VSAT may be disappearing but they still linger as communications of the past.

> [...]

          >> wireless Internet access points and computers
          so you
          >> can keep expanding
          >> your network
          >>
          >> This will be an ongoing effort over several months
          >> and
          even several
          >> years. But my hope is to make progress with
          A)
          >> during the next few
          >> months and look for small work
          that you can do so
          >> that we can stay
          >> connected and work
          towards B) and C).

          >> Thank you for staying in touch! We
          are grateful to
          >> be connected with
          >> your important work!
          We are especially encouraged
          >> that you are linking
          >> women
          with ICT, as this is very important for a

          page for this endeavor:

        • subscribe@studynook.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2 10:49 PM
            Jeff:

            No complaints here - I totally agree with you. You do have your eye on the ball.

> [...]

            are grateful to
            >> be connected with
            >> your important work!
            We are especially encouraged
            >> that you are linking
            >> women
            with ICT, as this is very important for a
            >> healthy society, both
            >> locally and globally.
            >>
            >> I have updated the
            page for this endeavor:

            href="http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Internet">http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?Internet

            and listed it with our proposals:

            href="http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Proposals">http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?Proposals

            >> I haven't been able to find your proposal yet but

            please send it to our
            >> groups if you have it and lets post it at our
            wiki.

            >> I invite our thoughts on how we might help and

          • samuel kongere

> [...]

              >> years. But my hope is to make progress with A)
              >> during the next few
              >> months and look for small work that you can do so
              >> that we can stay
              >> connected and work towards B) and C).
              >>
              >> Thank you for staying in touch! We are grateful to
              >> be connected with
              >> your important work! We are especially encouraged
              >> that you are linking
              >> women with ICT, as this is very important for a
              >> healthy society, both
              >> locally and globally.
              >>
              >> I have updated the page for this endeavor:
              >> http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?Internet
              >> and listed it with our proposals:
              >> http://www.worknets .org/wiki. cgi?Proposals
              >>
              >> I haven't been able to find your proposal yet but
              >> please send it to our
              >> groups if you have it and lets post it at our wiki.
              >>
              >> I invite our thoughts on how we might help and work

              MBITA  040305-KENYA.
              Cell: +254 725 600 439