Samwel and Andrius chat about proposals

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2007
      Samwel Kongere and I chatted today, see below. Samwel is not able to
      join us at our chat room because of restrictions by his Internet Service
      Provider during the week. So instead he has to rely on Yahoo Instant
      Messenger.

      Samwel is interested in "knowledge based approaches" and we discussed
      what that means. It's the "caring about thinking" that should be part of
      every task. As we do each task, we take care to discover and share the
      knowledge involved. And we give tasks to those who might learn the most
      from them, instead of to experts or to beginners.

      This is very much at the heart of Marcin Jakubowski's Open Source
      Ecology and also the many different angles that we bring to "pattern
      languages" for developing "global villages". As I look for new clients,
      I will be writing proposals to link areas across the world that might
      participate in "open source" knowledge sharing. For example, Steve
      Bosserman's community in Columbus, Ohio and "nearby" initiatives like
      Marcin's in Missouri might benefit from having their innovative
      practices attempted in Africa and elsewhere where it might cost less to
      explore them and document the results. Or Samwel Kongere and others
      might visit and help at the farm as Marcin has suggested and also learn
      and document. Or others might visit Samwel as has already started thanks
      to CouchSurfing.org and such sites like HospitalityClub.org which we
      learned of from Dante Gabryell-Monson, Markus Petz, Eric Schneider,
      Synnove Mathe, our nomad friends.

      In August, I will be focused on finding new clients. I am writing
      proposals, see http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Proposals My first
      proposal is to create a system for our colleagues, like Wendi in
      Cameroon, to download all the new content from our lab (letters, wiki
      pages, chat) from the past week or month so they can take it home and
      read it at their leisure at their own computer rather than pay $3 per
      hour for Internet access. And then write responses using their browser
      (perhaps with the JavaScript wiki TiddlyWiki) and then upload the
      results. I want to find somebody to pay me (and us) to work on this. I
      think that it is very valuable but there are also many business
      opportunities because people could download various kinds of knowledge
      work and then upload it when they are done. Perhaps Amazon might fund
      this work, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Mechanical_Turk

      My second project would be to create a Global Villages Index for
      self-rating "Hubs" for Co-working along many different dimensions. My
      thought (or I suppose it is One Village's thought) is that "unity
      centers" are vibrant when people can come to them with any manner of issue.

      My third project would be to encourage the documentation of a pattern
      language for such hubs (seeds of Global Villages) that is based on
      "recurring activity".

      I appreciate our thoughts on any related (or unrelated) projects or client.

      Also, good news is that our Minciu Sodas lab is part of the COMMUNIA
      team that won the competition to organize the European Union thematic
      network for the Public Domain. This means that we will receive 4,800 EUR
      per year for three years to pay our travel costs to participate in three
      workshops and one conference per year. If we are careful with our costs
      (and make use of HospitalityClub, etc.!) then we should be able to pay
      for at least one person to travel to join me at these events. Indeed, it
      may be possible to invite our African colleagues, perhaps starting with
      Samwel Kongere in the spring so I will inquire. The first meeting is
      September 28 in Torino, Italy so I will go there and then plan to visit
      Maria Agnese Giraudo in Rome and then travel to Kirchbach, Austria for
      the MIR meeting in mid-October. I will also see if we can fund Sasha
      Mrkailo to attend in Torino. I would also like to visit the Balkans. It
      will depend on my cash flow and how things go looking for work.

      Thanks in part to Sasha Mrkailo's research, I am getting close to buying
      two projectors for our video bridges, an Optoma EP780 that is 4,000
      lumens and an Optoma EP773 that is 3,500 lumens for a total price of
      2,700 EUR.

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Andrius Kulikauskas: Hi Samwel, how are you?
      … Would you like to talk? [...]
      Samwel Kongere: this and yahoo are my only free space [...]
      Andrius Kulikauskas: what do you mean free space? [...]
      … I still need to calculate I think there is still some money for your team
      Samwel Kongere: There is restriction here from our ISP
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I sent you 1000 USD for you as team leader for
      MyFoodStory
      … and I think that I also sent about 200 USD for your team's project
      … and 100 USD in equipment [...]
      ... and so there should be 200 USD left [...]
      Samwel Kongere: just do the calculations
      … I am sending another mail now from the partner ICT
      Andrius Kulikauskas: ok
      Samwel Kongere: You can view the info I sending now!
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I am now writing proposals to find new client
      … Would you like to be involved, yes?
      Samwel Kongere: wonderful
      … as always
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Excellent
      … It would be very interesting to hear from you some time about your
      investigatory question
      … what you have learned from your experiences
      Samwel Kongere: I see you must allow me to train in video editing and
      computer assembling
      Andrius Kulikauskas: How I can find for Myself and live Comfortably
      while helping others?
      … perhaps you solved this question?
      … to your satisfaction or not yet?
      Samwel Kongere: not yet?
      … read this mail I send now
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I think you made a lot of progress in your personal
      life which was a very difficult question. It would be great if you might
      share what you learned and think and suggest.
      … Yes I'm waiting for your letter
      … Also you have another question: How can i change our people's mind set
      to knowledge based approach?
      … That is also good - if you write more about that we can understand
      better how we might work with you on many projects. What do you mean by
      "knowledge based approach"? How do you imagine it?
      Samwel Kongere: You know you have made me the hero
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I think you are a hero
      … and we need many heroes!
      Samwel Kongere: considering technology and education in general
      Andrius Kulikauskas: but maybe we can chat in our chat room?
      Samwel Kongere: We may be approaching development vaguely or ignorantly
      without proper knowledge but skill is necessary
      … no I cann't access it here it is blocked, only on Weekends
      Andrius Kulikauskas: oh
      … ok
      Samwel Kongere: this has been my problem and internet in only here in mbita
      Andrius Kulikauskas: The "knowledge based approach" is important for how
      we might help with disease prevention and response
      Samwel Kongere: yes with information we can avoid mistakes for survival
      Andrius Kulikauskas: It would be good if we might think of a proposal
      on-the-ground in Rusinga Island and other places that we can do and I
      can look for clients for.
      Samwel Kongere: great
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Something that relates to this question.
      Samwel Kongere: Asif is looking for the same and Chris
      Andrius Kulikauskas: yes
      … How would you relate "knowledge based approach" with "outreach"?
      … For example, we have a diagram of our endeavors:
      http://www.worknets.org/upload/AndriusKulikauskas/endeavors.png
      … and I'm interested where a knowledge based approach fits with that.
      Samwel Kongere: and if you joined us hands then we start an information
      hub here in Rusinga
      … I did sent some videos to GUilhem in london today and he can receive
      them this week
      … I had friends from polland who satyed with me for 7 days and were
      going back to london before polland
      … I mean if we are not knowledgeable we are not going to succeed
      Andrius Kulikauskas: How did you meet your friends from Poland?
      Samwel Kongere: Through couch surfing and before from US
      Andrius Kulikauskas: that's great!
      … we should encourage more of us to join, yes?
      Samwel Kongere: at the sametime we had visitors from Uk who promised to
      work with later
      … In ICT concerning knowledge based appraoch in primary schools
      Andrius Kulikauskas: it is good if you can sign people up for Mendenyo
      Samwel Kongere: yes I must get concerned people
      … not just signing
      Andrius Kulikauskas: yes but it is hard to know who is concerned and who
      will participate
      … if 10% participate that is pretty good
      … and they may not participate but they will remember you
      Samwel Kongere: ok
      … yes
      Andrius Kulikauskas: and they may recommend you or help some day
      … and also it is meaningful for them often I think
      … ask them and they will say yes or no
      Samwel Kongere: yes those from America are willing to come back
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Samwel, what do you think is the difference between
      a knowledge based approach and the usual way of doing things?
      Samwel Kongere: I thought I could make photos and upload them easily and
      found out without knowledge you can't
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I see
      Samwel Kongere: this approach is necessary for success
      Andrius Kulikauskas: knowledge as the missing ingredient?
      Samwel Kongere: are you seeing the sense
      Andrius Kulikauskas: yes, having the knowledge that you need for an activity
      Samwel Kongere: It is not assuming but must be fluent for a job through
      knowledge
      Andrius Kulikauskas: and also I think discovering and sharing that knowledge
      Samwel Kongere: yes ...sure
      Andrius Kulikauskas: yes - "not assuming" - that is very important in
      our work ethic
      … because so often people assume and become sloppy
      … we suffer from this
      … and for our global teams it is very important
      Samwel Kongere: Our people are messed up in parliament do the same
      Andrius Kulikauskas: to have a high standard of consideration
      … and not be lazy in our thinking.
      Samwel Kongere: this is may observation knowledge first
      Andrius Kulikauskas: For me it also means that every time we do
      something we should be concerned for the related knowledge
      … to learn something as we are doing
      … to cultivate that knowledge
      … with every task
      … and to share that knowledge
      … to give the work to the person who will learn the most from it
      … not the person who is already an expert
      … and not the beginner who is not capable
      … but to the person who will grow the most from the challenge
      … I try to do this at our lab.
      Samwel Kongere: good you are getting the point
      Andrius Kulikauskas: So your investigatory question is How can we change
      people's mindset to such an approach?
      … Do you have any thoughts on how to investigate that?
      … Also, that is what Marcin Jakubowski is doing with Open Source
      Ecology. He is documenting all the knowledge in an "open source" way for
      starting a farm. And I think the practical question is, What is the
      practical way to share our knowledge about life's activities?
      Samwel Kongere: if you are challenged through konwledge you will succeed
      not assuming
      … this approach is wonderful
      … yes
      … yes he has been requesting me to go there for some months and wanted
      my concent
      Andrius Kulikauskas: oh that's great
      Samwel Kongere: but I must posses knowledge to go
      Andrius Kulikauskas: yes and also have a network for sharing his
      knowledge in your area, and your area in his
      … so that is something that we could have a project for
      … is sharing the knowledge for our projects
      … because somethings it is better to document in Mbita and other things
      it is better to document in Missouri
      … depending on the nature of the project and the resources available
      Samwel Kongere: he need me to buy my ticket but I have to come to Europe
      for knowledge if you agree and do the others later
      … i see
      Andrius Kulikauskas: lets develop a proposal and Steve Bosserman will be
      very interested because he is not too far away in Columbus, Ohio
      Samwel Kongere: ok this can do
      Andrius Kulikauskas: maybe about 1000 kilometers
      … but the idea is to start "open source ecology" networks in the US and
      in Kenya
      … and share knowledge, especially from small-projects
      Samwel Kongere: great if this is known by our other members it can be great
      Andrius Kulikauskas: for example, Fred Kayiwa is interested in beekeeping
      … and he can do 10 hives for 300 USD or so
      … and he could document what he does
      … and that could be useful for beekeepers in the US
      … because it would save them work.
      Samwel Kongere: i See
      Andrius Kulikauskas: to document is a lot of work.
      … And also we can create a "pattern language" kind of thinking
      … how each activity connects with other activities and supports them
      … So I think that is another proposal we want to do is a pattern
      language for global villages.
      Samwel Kongere: yes this was our initail idea
      Andrius Kulikauskas: It's important to write publicly wherever we can
      because otherwise people don't know and can't be included! That is also
      a knowledge based approach I think.
      Samwel Kongere: yes
      … I first make an approach and sell it
      … I like your ideas
      … I will try to define our mission with Marcin and see our members responces
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Samwel, may I share our chat? That would be very
      helpful. I can remove any parts as you wish.
      Samwel Kongere: Check on it and share it
      … Send the reagrds for not attending the chat sessions
      Andrius Kulikauskas: yes
      Samwel Kongere: Tell them my situation and our great interests
      … and you can before you share this, inform of the arrangement and plans
      you have for my Europe tripe?
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I don't know yet let's think. But I'm certainly
      interested. We have one possibility perhaps with the COMMUNIA project
      for the Public Domain that we just got accepted to.
      … We should also look for partners here in Europe and try to relate it
      to a proposal and business opportunities.
      … This would be for the Spring of 2008 I imagine.
      Samwel Kongere: ok
      Andrius Kulikauskas: These ideas that we have for the "knowledge based
      approach" and "pattern languages" would be very good.
      … So let's keep developing that and relate it to different aspects that
      you are interested to learn
      Samwel Kongere: ok
      Andrius Kulikauskas: all of your themes like literacy, wireless,
      computer assembly, etc.
      … Also we should make a plan what KennedyOwino might bring back to Africa
      … for example computer parts and wireless equipment to get started with
      … experiments on doing this
      … So this will be an ongoing process, let's keep thinking.
      Samwel Kongere: yes Immeddiately he is back we will connect to plant
      together
      Andrius Kulikauskas: I think it would be very helpful if you came to Europe
      … One idea is that you come to Europe and we plan more about these kinds
      of project
      … and then I try to go to Africa to learn more about what kind of
      on-the-ground projects are possible
      … maybe in fall of 2008?
      Samwel Kongere: me and you
      Andrius Kulikauskas: We will see a lot depends on clients that I should
      work to find.
      Samwel Kongere: great idea
      Andrius Kulikauskas: My interest in Africa would be to see how the
      on-the-ground projects might connect with helping independent thinkers grow.
      … What is the relationship?
      Samwel Kongere: i see
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Or what do you think that I could do that would be
      most useful?
      Samwel Kongere: This what will enhance momentum
      … If we base our pirioties on knowledge and education for sustainbility
      Andrius Kulikauskas: Yes knowledge is good because it can "bootstrap"
      itself - it can help us pull ourselves up - but only if we keep applying
      the knowledge in every way as we learn more.
      Samwel Kongere: Thanks I am greatful, meet on wednesday and I need to go
      home
      Andrius Kulikauskas: ok, good bye!
      Samwel Kongere: I am in did doing this, I am not a hero without knowldge
      … Ok bye greetings to your family